Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy just does not seem to like kibble. I have triesd several. If I just ground some up and mixed it with other foods would that do the same thing as if she ate it as is.
Lopac

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm not sure there is a simple answer to that. I think it would depend on what the other foods were, what kind of kibble you are using, what ratio of kibble to other foods etc. I think some fresh foods are a good addition to a kibble diet. You could also mix in some wet food.

·
Registered
851 Posts
If you would consider raw you might want to venture over to the raw section. If not I would probably want to add in fresh food or an all meat or one of those 95% meat canned foods.

·
Registered
383 Posts
It may be a situation where the pup is training you. Put the plain kibble down. Leave it for 15 minutes. Pick up the bowl. Serve the same food at the next meal. It may take 3 days for the pup to eat. No treats, snacks or table food during this time. A dog will not allow itself to starve.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I believe in variety so mixing her food with other foodstuff is no biggie in my book, but grinding it up to "hide" it so that she'll eat is not something I would do. If just adding and mixing the kibble with other foods ends up with the kibble being left behind. It's time for some tough loving (if there are no health issues) to stop her from being "finicky". Then it's plain kibble put down, if not eaten in a specific time it's picked up and saved for the next meal.Tough loving is very hard (on the owner) but most dogs will not "starve" themselves.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your comments. The kibble was with other food. She would just pick them out and leave them. That was why I was wondering if I ground it and added to the other food would still give her the necessary ingredients for a balanced diet.
Lopac

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I don't see why grinding it would change the nutritional content of the kibble any. But like I said I personally would try tough loving her, if there's no medical reason not to, because she may just decide not to eat the ground kibble mixture as well. The flavor and scent will still be in the food and she wouldn't be able to pull the kibble out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My dog didn´t like kibble, so now I pour some soup, yogurt, olive oil or just water over it and leave it to soak for 10-15 min. He eats all of it now. I think he just doesn´t like it dry.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I agree with SaharaNight Boxers. Maybe go to the raw forum get in on some conversations there. Raw may be for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts