Dog Food Chat banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Sigh... it's pretty sad that people get grossed out by reading that there's liver in their carnivore's food.. but don't care that it's 65% carbs, and that most of the food is GMO corn. People suck.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yeah, Evo and Innova both just say "natural flavors." So for all I know it's boiled down euthanized animals!
I agree. I worked before as an engineer for a kibble company. You won't believe the junk that they put in there. I use raw meaty bones for my dogs. I don't want to badmouth the company that has fed my family for years, but I will never use their products (or any commercial dog food) for my dogs.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
"Natural flavors" is not where anyone should fear the inclusion of euthanized pets or similar. It's not an ingredient where it makes no sense to save. Flavoring can make or brake a formula so it is important to come up with something that stands out in palatable tests. I don't think boiled down Fido is the magic ticket so to speak. It can be all kinds of other natural derived chemicals not necessarily healthy but hardly any Fido.

·
Registered
94 Posts
"Natural flavors" is not where anyone should fear the inclusion of euthanized pets or similar. It's not an ingredient where it makes no sense to save. Flavoring can make or brake a formula so it is important to come up with something that stands out in palatable tests. I don't think boiled down Fido is the magic ticket so to speak. It can be all kinds of other natural derived chemicals not necessarily healthy but hardly any Fido.

That's right! Given unpalatable junk that's in the kibble, flavor needs to be added in the form of protein substitutes.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
That's right! Given unpalatable junk that's in the kibble, flavor needs to be added in the form of protein substitutes.
That's not true and not what I was saying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does one exist? I feed my dogs raw and have one stubborn cat who after months of trying to switch, I decided to give up. I'm looking for the BEST quality kibble I can find. I'm looking for one that has free-range animals, grass fed animals, and nothing unnatural such as "natural flavors" which is some liquid made in a labo to make it taste like chicken or whatnot. Although, it's going to have to have preservatives in it, I suppose....

I'm buying a vitamix next week, is it possible to make your own cat food? She will eat can, so that's a plus. Also, has anyone ever made their own kibble? I have a dehydrator so I thought it might be an option.

Any advice is appreciated. Right now we've just been feeding a mixture of kibble like Evo and Innova and Taste of the Wild but I don't like the whole "natual flavoring" thing and can't seem to locate one without it!
natural flavors are bad and not what they seem. They are chemicals made to mimic the taste. People should avoid natural flavors in all food items.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Natural flavors are very very bad. Read about the term natural flavors and avoid them in human food. These are flavors chemically made to mimic flavors. I cook for my animals. Natural flavors are just as bad or worse then artificial flavors. It is no just boiled down anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Government regulations define natural flavors as those that derive their aroma or flavor chemicals from plant or animal sources, including fruit, meat, fish, spices, herbs, roots, leaves, buds or bark that are distilled, fermented or otherwise manipulated in a lab.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts