Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to some upcoming changes, I'm in the market for a new kibble. The upcoming changes mean I need to save on dog food somewhere. Boone is staying on what he's on for allergy reasons so this is about the other one. Ginger is a 2.5 year old Brittany. Her only issue is frequent poops, anywhere from 3-6 times a day. The only time she had had less is when on a morning meal of Darwin's pre made raw and afternoon meal of Brothers kibble. Currently, I am using up a couple boxes of The Honest Kitchen for her morning meal with Darwin's a couple times a week. She is a tiny Brittany, 28 pounds and she runs on the thin side. I like her lean but she could stand a couple pounds.
So, suggestions? For her, grains are fine but I like a good amount of meat, not a heavy grain food. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Tim's. $1.30 or so/lb. from Petflow. Or Fromm Classics or Gold.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Yes, that's correct. Hoping some people, including the guys, will pipe in with suggestions!
Monster is better than me to sniff out the "most bang for your buck" formulas you have south of the border but how about Innova Adult Chicken or Adult Red Meat? Still too much? Other usual suspects are Eagle Pack, Dr Tims, Annamaet, Precise, Fromm Classic and Royal-Canin Medium 25. The only grain free I come close to recommending is Horizon Legacy but it is not in the cheaper end. Horizon Pulsar is favorably priced though. Never tried it but might be worth a shot knowing the quality of their Legacy foods.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
just a guess... I think Monster will be calling for some Propac

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Monster is better than me to sniff out the "most bang for your buck" formulas you have south of the border but how about Innova Adult Chicken or Adult Red Meat? Still too much? Other usual suspects are Eagle Pack, Dr Tims, Annamaet, Precise, Fromm Classic and Royal-Canin Medium 25. The only grain free I come close to recommending is Horizon Legacy but it is not in the cheaper end. Horizon Pulsar is favorably priced though. Never tried it but might be worth a shot knowing the quality of their Legacy foods.
At least up here but Innova is very costly. I can certainly check online. Since I'm now okay with ordering food in, I figure I can use something I maybe didn't use before. The Brothers is working great for Boone so he's staying on it but it's $77 for a 25lb bag and I need to save a little

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I can't believe Ginger is only 28lbs!!! I always thought she was like Abbie's size, 40lbs.

I second the recommendation of Precise, Fromm Gold, Dr. Tim's. I would think for Dr. Tim's, you'd probably want the Pursuit, which has 20% fat. If you wanna do a Grain Free, maybe Earthborn?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I wouldn't recommend the From Classic for a dog with problems putting on weight as the ones I fed it too dropped weight on it, but their Gold might be an option. You could use the puppy too for more protein/fat.

Victor Hi Pro (runs $36/40lb bag) or Hi Energy ($33/40lbs) in my area.
Eagle Pack Original You can get is for around $1 to $1.30/lb depending on what size bag.
Annamaet Extra runs around $56/40lbs online

·
Registered
232 Posts
I second Earthborn or Fromm.
Are you anywhere near Plaistow?
Statleine Pet Supply on 125 in Plaistow has the best prices I have found anywhere.
I paid $34.99 for a 28 lb bag of Earthborn.
I rotate Earthborn & Fromm (grain free), so I haven't checked the prices on Fromm Classic, but I do know they sell it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
When cost is a factor look at the calories per cup. For example, Innova is 500+ calories per cup whereas other brands may have 300-400.

Although not popular on DFC I am very pleased with the results of Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon (400+ calories) for the rescues. It may take a bit of time to transition without digestive upset but results in the most beautiful coats I have seen from kibble. It is only the Salmon formula. The same results are not seen with the other Wilderness formulas. The dogs fed EVO (500+ calories) have an appearance similar to raw fed. Lots of muscle without the underlayer of fat commonly seen with kibble fed dogs. The coats of the older dogs fed Innova do not have the shine and texture as those fed BB Wilderness or EVO. Innova also results in large size poop.

Chewy.com has good prices. Depending on the seller, which can change frequently, Amazon.com can be competitive.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Any particular Dr Tim's for a dog who tends to be a bit thin?
You can use Pursuit 30/20 for all so long as they get out and run around, otherwise Kinesis for the other. Pursuit has carbohydrate levels like most "high" protein foods but calories are skewed to fat calories.

For what Tim is charging, or what Petflow is charging for the 44lb bags $1.30lb delivered and no tax, that is the best value around.

Retail where I live Pursuit sells for $1.90 lb plus tax and gas to go get it.

If you wanna go a bit cheaper, then Victor's foods at $.75lb, are a smart buy.

·
Banned
939 Posts
When cost is a factor look at the calories per cup. For example, Innova is 500+ calories per cup whereas other brands may have 300-400.

Although not popular on DFC I am very pleased with the results of Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon (400+) for the rescues. It may take a bit of time to transition without digestive upset but results in the most beautiful coats I have seen from kibble. It is only the Salmon formula. The same results are not seen with the other Wilderness formulas. The dogs fed EVO (500+ calories) have an appearance most similar to raw fed. Lots of muscle without the underlayer of fat commonly seen with kibble fed dogs. The coats of the older dogs fed Innova do not have the shine and texture as those fed BB Wilderness or EVO. Innova also results in large size poop.

Chew.com has good prices. Depending on the seller, which can change frequently, Amazon.com can be competitive.
When you look at cost you have to look at calories per LB or KG, some foods pack better in a cup by volume and are hard to compare.

Still calories don't tell the whole story, because fat calories stick the most, protein the least.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Do you have a Tractor Supply? Their 4Health kibble isn't bad, and it's very budget friendly - maybe the Potato and Salmon Formula (low grain; it has some barley in it)? If you're a member of Costco, they have a couple of grain free formulas (lamb and chicken) that aren't bad either. I'm currently trying Acana Chicken and Burbank Potato (grain inclusive - steel cut oats; thought I'd give it a try - so far, so good, but I'm nervous b/c I'm traditionally a grain free fan). It's Acana's least costly variety, I think. My dog food supplier swears by it - says that several breeding/show kennels that buy from him are using it with great results.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Do you have a Tractor Supply? Their 4Health kibble isn't bad, and it's very budget friendly - maybe the Potato and Salmon Formula (low grain; it has some barley in it)? If you're a member of Costco, they have a couple of grain free formulas (lamb and chicken) that aren't bad either. I'm currently trying Acana Chicken and Burbank Potato (grain inclusive - steel cut oats; thought I'd give it a try - so far, so good, but I'm nervous b/c I'm traditionally a grain free fan). It's Acana's least costly variety, I think. My dog food supplier swears by it - says that several breeding/show kennels that buy from him are using it with great results.
Oats are great. Loaded with good nutrition.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts

Although not popular on DFC I am very pleased with the results of Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon (400+ calories) for the rescues. It may take a bit of time to transition without digestive upset but results in the most beautiful coats I have seen from kibble. It is only the Salmon formula. The same results are not seen with the other Wilderness formulas. The dogs fed EVO (500+ calories) have an appearance similar to raw fed. Lots of muscle without the underlayer of fat commonly seen with kibble fed dogs. The coats of the older dogs fed Innova do not have the shine and texture as those fed BB Wilderness or EVO. Innova also results in large size poop.

Chewy.com has good prices. Depending on the seller, which can change frequently, Amazon.com can be competitive.
To compare feeding amounts and cost always start with kcal/kg or kcal/g, calculate the recommended amount in grams for your dog and activity level, then convert that to volume (cups) if you like. Most manufacturers will tell you how many grams per cup.

The Waltham formula for calculating daily energy need:

110 x (weight in kg)[SUP]0.75[/SUP]
This is for an intact dog with a healthy mix of daily activities. Reduce the daily requirement with 25% if your dog is spayed, neutered and/or inactive.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can't believe Ginger is only 28lbs!!! I always thought she was like Abbie's size, 40lbs.

I second the recommendation of Precise, Fromm Gold, Dr. Tim's. I would think for Dr. Tim's, you'd probably want the Pursuit, which has 20% fat. If you wanna do a Grain Free, maybe Earthborn?
She's a bitty thing. She and Boone weigh about the same, he may weigh a couple pounds more than her.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I second Earthborn or Fromm.
Are you anywhere near Plaistow?
Statleine Pet Supply on 125 in Plaistow has the best prices I have found anywhere.
I paid $34.99 for a 28 lb bag of Earthborn.
I rotate Earthborn & Fromm (grain free), so I haven't checked the prices on Fromm Classic, but I do know they sell it.
I haven;t been to Plaistow in years! I'm over an hour from there, I believe. Concord is my nearest "big" city.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts