Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
My name is Khan and I am a 5 1/2 month old Bullmastiff. Although I am very young, I have had some food issues. When my pawrents brought me home I was on very low quality food, so that was the first thing to go. During the first couple months of being in my new home, I went thru 5 different foods. My vet thought I might be sick or have something called colitis. My mom was vigilant and thought it was something in my food. She was right. She found that all the food I was eating had Flax in them. When she put me on a food that was flax free, I did much better. Not many are Flax free, she chose Canidae Grain Free Salmon. Since being on this, I have had much better poo. Thick Soft-n-Serve consistency. Mom says it's not great; but waay better than the explosions :eek:. During this last month my mom heard lots of good things about Orijen LB Puppy, so I have been on that. My poo is not any better, in fact may be a little more loose. My mom is now looking into maybe a raw diet to help with my system, as well as making sure I am getting enough nutrition.
Looking forward to seeing what kind of advise you have for us!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like poor Khan has had a kinda rough start! A raw diet is the best way in the world to control exactly what your pup is getting and will more than likely help firm up those stools!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
I went through a lot of that with my Corgi. 7 months of diarrhea actually, and after two days on raw, we have not seen soft stools since. In fact, they're hard and compact and turn white and crumble up in a few hours!
There is no better way to feed your puppy than to go raw. It is simply the most natural, best diet for them, and there is no way to fully know what exactly they are eating without going home prepared.
We hope you find exactly what you're looking for here, and don't be afraid to jump right in and add to conversations and ask questions. We have a great raw feeding community here.
Oh and we'd love to see pictures of the pupper!!:biggrin:

·
Banned
493 Posts
Yes, a raw diet is the best thing that you can try! Raw meat and bones actually digest much faster, minimizing the amount of time it stays in the digestive system, therefore makes for more regular, formed bowel movements. The bone also does a particularly good job at firming up stools. In the meantime, a great thing you could try is some canned pumpkin, which is great to help with both diarrhea and constipation. (I'd start with a tablespoon or two per day) You could also try some plain yogurt, which is full of probiotics which is great for intestinal/digestion system health. (I'd start with about a half of a spoonful, and work up to about a generous spoonful per day) :smile:

Also, for more about how to correctly feed your dog a raw diet, I encourage you to ask us any questions you would like, and search through the archives here for a lot of great information. Also, I have listed a few helpful websites below;

www.rawlearning.com

www.rawfeddogs.net

www.rawdogranch.com

www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for rolling out the welcome mat!
I have tried to post a profile picture; but it keeps telling me the upload file failed? :confused: The picture is small enough so not sure what's going on.

As far as Khan's feeding. I have been adding live cultured yogurt to his food. Have not seen a change in his poo. I do think it has helped a little with his gas. Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
5 different foods in such a short period is enough to keep any dogs poo soft serve. Give each some time to work before deciding it's not the one. Back in the days I fed kibble, it would take me 3 weeks just to change from one food to another.

A prey model raw diet will most certainly firm up your dog's stools.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I know, that was a lot of change in such a short time. Once we found he was allergic to Flax, his system really calmed down. After feeding him a Flax free food within about 36 hrs he went from watery explosive poo, to a very thick soft n serve consistency. Even the treats contained Flax, so he was not only getting it from his food; but when he would go potty outside he was getting a treat that only added to his poo problem!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Hi and welcome! Your pic is absolutley sweet!:smile: What a cutie!:biggrin:
Hope alls going well with the new food!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts