Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when switching to raw from kibble do you have to do it slowly as you would when you're changing brands of kibble? And, if so, for how long? Like a week or two? Just wondering...:confused:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I asked that same question on here and was told to do it "cold turkey" and not gradually, which I did. One of the dogs, an almost 3-year-old Jack Russell, is tolerating it very well. The other dog, a 5-1/2-year-old collie/terrier mix, is having problems. He puked the first day, did better the second day and now is acting kind of weird and panting and shivering. He's probably going to have to go to the vet.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I switched both my dogs cold turkey, and they didn't have a reaction. I would say that as far as the collie/terrier mix, it really depends on the dog, how much crap did he have in his system that needs to work it's way out. Was he on really bad food for a long period of his life, getting vaccines and flea treatments, if yes, then he's gonna have a reaction to real food. It's like flushing the system of toxins.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I switched my dogs cold turkey and they were fine. You should probably take your other dog to the vet and make sure everything is ok :frown:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I switched both my dogs cold turkey, and they didn't have a reaction. I would say that as far as the collie/terrier mix, it really depends on the dog, how much crap did he have in his system that needs to work it's way out. Was he on really bad food for a long period of his life, getting vaccines and flea treatments, if yes, then he's gonna have a reaction to real food. It's like flushing the system of toxins.
I was thinking the same thing about the toxins. Barret, the collie/terrier mix, has been on commercial dog food for 5-1/2 years and has gradually become less healthy over about the last 2 years. The JRT is not 3 yet, so maybe he didn't have a chance to start getting unhealthy yet. Hopefully I started the raw diet in time for him to stay healthy.

By the way, the collie/terrier mix (Barret) is acting better now. He didn't want to eat for the first feeding today, but that's normal for him. He likes to eat later in the day. RFD recommended feeding them twice a day for a while until they get used to it, but Barret has a mind of his own and will only eat when he wants to. I haven't been feeding him as much at one time, though, and will gradually work my way up to his recommended amount.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yay I'm glad he's feeling better today! It could very well be all the toxins built up, I've heard of that happening for a lot of dogs.

·
Registered
441 Posts
It was cold raw turkey for me and my pooch! :) Hehe!! Sometimes even frozen turkey! :0
Sorry!! I am adding a new member to my family and will post new pictures as soon as I can!! Another EBT of corse! ;)
Oh, and Owen is doing better, I think that he has really bad enviromental allergies. I have talked to some vets and they said to just keep an eye on him and if it gets worse to bring him in! Thank goodness!! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cold turkey for me as well. It's been about a week now and all is still good. Cali will only eat once a day except when givin chicken necks. Still trying to find backs, I have a lead though.

I'm still amazed at the size of the poop, 1lb of food and 3 or 4 little hard as rock poops come out. Fascinating.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK for those who know... here's another question... why do you have to slowly change from kibble to kibble and not from kibble to raw??? Logically it's a different food so why not? :confused:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
OK for those who know... here's another question... why do you have to slowly change from kibble to kibble and not from kibble to raw??? Logically it's a different food so why not? :confused:
Actually all kibbles are basically alike. They all digest pretty much alike. Raw meat, bones, and organs take different enzymes to digest. Your dog's digestive system needs to start producing these enzymes pretty quickly. If you alternately throw in kibble and raw, you are just wrecking havoc on the digestive system.

Some dogs get digestive upset when changing to raw but they will usually clear up in a few days once they start producing the appropriate digestive juices. Feeding kibble would prolong this process.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RFD I think I'm understanding what you're saying. Let me rephrase... Since raw uses different enzymes from kibble to digest, you don't have to go slowly as these are quick-acting enzymes?? Therefore, when changing kibble to kibble since this uses slow-acting enzymes you have to go slowly. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just trying to grasp this. Thx.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
It doesn't have anything to do with slow acting and fast acting. These are digestive enzymes. When you eat something the pancreas samples the food as it leaves your stomach into the small intestine. It determines what the chemical composition of the food is and creates enzymes to digest it. It also sends messages to the liver telling it what to dump into the small intestine in order to digest what is there. For example, when the pancreas detects meat and bone, it secreets a more acidic stomach juice into the stomach. Carbs and highly processed meats such is in kibble cause the pancreas to put less acidic juices into the stomach.

So when switching to raw, the stomach need more acidic juices and since it has been digesting kibble for a lifetime, it takes it a little time to build up the ability to make stomach juices that are acidic enough. If you are mixing both kibble and meats, even in different meals, it takes it longer to make this adjustment.

Feeding raw meat that is heavy in bone seems to minimize digestive problems in newly switched dogs but it's better just to go ahead and let them have whatever problems they are going to have and get over them than to stretch things out longer. Most newly switched dogs have very few problems if fed smaller meals heavy in bone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts