Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been pondering for a while now about Raw feeding the dog, and I'm still sizing up whether or not i should, I am on the part that agrees that is better for the dog, but I also wanna consider a lot of other things before so few question that maybe i can get answered here. :D

How much should i feed the dog?

Is it mainly just chicken or can i go on more red meat then chicken or pork?

How should i transfer him to be safe from kibble to raw?

Also if you give the dog a steak a big one what are the chances that he's gonna eat it inside the bowl?

and are pork ribs good for them? loads of bones

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
The starting point is 2% to 3% of the dogs ideal adult weight. It is adjusted from there based on whether the dog gains or loses weight.

It's better to begin with chicken for a few weeks simply because its easy to digest, the bones are relatively soft, and chicken is cheap and widely available. After the first few weeks, you can feed whatever you wish. If I had it available, I would feed venison almost every meal.

Feed his last meal of kibble ... some people like to fast for a day. Then begin him on chicken backs. Backs are a good starting point because they are boney and that helps keep down digestive upset. After a week of nothing but backs, alternate leg quarters every other meal for a week. That will add more meat to the diet. After another week, you can add some pork for a couple of meals for a week. Then throw in fish. A week after that try beef. Don't feed organs for a couple of months. At that point he is ready to eat anything you want to feed. His body will have adjusted to digesting raw food and he's good to go. :smile:

Also if you give the dog a steak a big one what are the chances that he's gonna eat it inside the bowl?
Very close to zero. You will learn not to use bowls for most meals. I use bowls for canned salmon and for chunks of beef heart. Otherwise I stand at the kitchen sink and hand out animal parts. Some people perfer to feed their dogs outside. Some close off the kitchen and the dogs eat there. Some put them in the laundry room. Some feed the dogs in their crates. Others teach their dogs to stay on a plastic table cloth or a towel while they are eating. I let mine go anywhere they want to in the house to eat. They always clean up their eating place when they finish and then the dogs swap places and clean the other's eating place. The dogs last eating places are the cleanest spots on the floor in the house. :smile:

Yes, and yes. You wouldn't want to feed ribs every meal but occasionally is fine. Then there are country style ribs that have almost no bone and there is boneless ribs.

You're very welcome. Keep us posted on progress and don't hesitate to ask more questions. :smile:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
RFD got my dogs started in private emails and the great people in this forum took them the rest of the way.

once you get going, you'll never look back.

ask lots of questions...if you should decide to do this....because this forum is the best support system i've ever seen.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
So I've been pondering for a while now about Raw feeding the dog, and I'm still sizing up whether or not i should, I am on the part that agrees that is better for the dog, but I also wanna consider a lot of other things before so few question that maybe i can get answered here. :D
You're on the right track! Just beginning the thought process is the first thing you should do. The fact that you know that raw feeding is the best you can do for your dog, there really is no reason to not do it (there are a few legit reasons to not feed raw though). You've definitely come to the right place to learn, lots of knowledgeable and experienced raw feeders here. I started out where you are now, contemplating feeding raw. I will never go back to kibble!

If you haven't already, read through my website which should answer most of your questions. I wrote it all with the newbie in mind that has a million questions about raw feeding. Any feedback would also be much appreciated!

Dedicated to proper carnivore nutrition - Prey Model Raw Feeding for Dogs & Cats

If your dog weighs 35-40kg (~80 pounds) you should be feeding 0.7-0.8kg per day (or ~1.5 pounds per day). This is at the lower end of the "guideline" but I always suggest to start out on the smaller side and add in more food if needed. Every dog is different and you will most likely have to change the amount you feed per day depending on body condition. You can split this into two feedings or feed just once per day. Usually the larger the dog, the less feedings per day is what I recommend. That way you can give larger chunks of meat and raw meaty bones that get your dog to chew better. You don't want to give your dog pieces of meat that he can just swallow whole, you want him to crunch it a few times before it goes down the hatch. We have dogs that are 65-120 pounds and they all eat once a day, except the largest dog who gets two meals since she is nearly twice the size of the smaller dogs.

Eventually you want to feed as much variety as you possibly can. BUT when switching a dog to raw, you must go slow with the transition to avoid digestive upset. This will ensure the easiest possible switch for you and most importantly your dog. Most people who "fail" at feeding raw just simply add too much variety in too soon and end up with sick dogs. If you follow my getting started guide I can assure you that you'll succeed. Some dogs switch over easier than others, but some have a hard time with it. Don't worry, we are all here to help you through the process, just remember to have patience and don't give up. The results are completely worth it.

How to get started | Prey Model Raw

Here's a quick re-hash of that page:

This is a condensed version of our more in depth prey model raw feeding guide. Don’t try to move faster thru this process. We’ve designed this thru lots of research and hands on experience to minimize the chances of digestive upset. Trying to force new meats faster will almost guarantee you’ll see digestive issues.

Weeks 1 and 2
Fasting your dog one day before giving them anything raw is highly recommended

Feed chicken backs for the first 2-3 days.

After the 3rd day I would add in chicken quarters alternating with backs, every other meal. (add drumsticks if you have a smaller dog)

Continue with alternating chicken backs and quarters until you have noticed consistent firm stools for at least 7 days in a row.

Weeks 3 and 4

Turkey is next. Turkey necks, frames or wings would work great for this.

Add in turkey alternating with chicken every other meal.

If you have noticed a bit of looser stool, you can add in one turkey meal to every two chicken meals until you notice things are back to normal and then try and add more turkey back in.

Continue until you have noticed consistent firm stools for at least 7 days in a row.

The next protein source I recommend is pork or fish, either one.

A lot of dogs will not eat raw fish, so you can give canned fish instead.

Canned salmon, tuna, sardines or mackerel work well, but they are expensive if you have a lot of dogs to feed (canned tuna is not bone in, the rest should be).

If going with pork, I would add in pork ribs or neck bones in.

Add either fish or pork in the same way you did with turkey, alternating it every other meal with chicken and turkey.

For example, morning meal would be chicken, evening meal is fish, then the next day the morning meal is turkey.

Continue until you have noticed consistent firm stools for at least 7 days in a row.

Again, if you notice loose stool, go in a bit lighter on the new protein source, until you can get it in every 3rd meal without a hitch.

Remember that bone adds bulk to their stool, keeping them nice and firm.

Weeks 5 and 6
If you added in fish last time, add in pork and vise versa. Add them in the same techniques used before during the first couple of weeks.

Week 6 I would add in beef, which is most likely not going to be bone in. Most bone in beef sources are not okay for dogs to eat because the bones are just way too dense for their teeth to crunch through. The only bone in beef source that we feed to our dogs is beef ribs, and its more of a treat and recreational chewing than a meal.

Adding beef heart is a bit trickier than anything else up to this point. Not only does it not have any bone to add bulk to stool, but its super rich. I recommend giving half the amount in weight of beef heart than you normally give. In this case, less can be better. Once your dog gets used to something so rich you can add in more.

Most likely you will see some loose stool. You can feed chicken backs a meal before and after for the added bone or in conjunction with the beef heart. Then the next day just do chicken and turkey. Feed your rotation of chicken, turkey, fish, pork and beef until you see a weeks worth of normal stool.

Weeks 7 and 8
This is the time when you add in organ meats. Lots of dogs refuse to eat organ meat. You might find yourself having to do a bit of prep work to the organs just to get your dog to eat them. This could mean doing a light sear with some spices or feeding it to them frozen, or the tried and true method that we use of just shoving it down their throats!

Organs are an essential part of the prey model raw diet.

Unlike before this addition is just a once a week thing.

The amount you will feed will be similar to what you did with beef heart because organs are very, very rich and will cause loose stool with almost every dog out there.

You can feed organs with chicken backs to help alleviate digestive upset.
Some people feed just a little bit of organ each day with each meal, this is fine too just as long as you keep the 1:1:8 ratio of organ, bone to meat ratio in the back of your head.

Cold turkey...no pun intended :wink:

The transition to raw from kibble is a lot different than it is if you were switching from one brand of kibble to another. You don't switch over to raw foods gradually from kibble. The gradual transition starts once you start feeding raw.

Mixing the two can do more harm than good. There are a few dogs that can handle both at the same time, but I don't recommend it and don't have experience with it.

Slim to none. Dog bowls are something of the past when raw feeding. There are very few times when bowls come in handy for feeding. The only thing that we use bowls for is canned fish or chunked meat.

We have trained our dogs to eat on their dog beds, which get cleaned once every other week. Most of the time we feed outside, even in the winter. Only when its super cold do we really feed inside.

You will be amazed at how well dogs clean up after themselves. A lot of people think that feeding raw is super messy but it isn't. You can't eve see a spot of anything after a meal.

Absolutely. RAW MEATY bones are great for dogs, as long as they are appropriately sized for the dog. You wouldn't want to give a large dog just one single rib bone. You want to give them a whole or half rack of ribs. This is what we do when we give our dogs ribs to eat.

The higher the bone content the firmer the stools will be. Bone replaces a dog's need for fiber to create normal bowel movements. So you must feed enough bone to keep your dog regular. So you can use this knowledge if you see loose stools just to increase the amount of meaty bones you feed. And vice versa, if you notice hard, powdery stools you feed less bone and more muscle meat.

No, thank you. Its great that you are on the right track and just need to have the basic questions that most newbies have. Please don't hesitate to ask any others since we will help you through the entire process :wink:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys, I wont be able to get started for about another month as i have a full bag of kibble i just bought, and I dont really wanna trowh it away :)

I got another small question, what about vitamins and minerals and all the rest? does the meat and fish by itself give enough? or is there a need to supplement? cause I dont take vitamin pills for myself i rather eat a fruit then a stupid pill :D but what about the dog? would he need anything else beside the meat? and would ya add maybe a few veggie every so often or just only pure meat?

Thanks again

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
i remember reading through your website, natalie...it was so straightforward...and i don't know how to convey this, but it was comforting....

it's a great contribution....to beginners like me

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh another thing, when i first got my dog the vet told me that giving bones to a dog was dangerous in some ways because once he was called to a house where a dog had eaten bones and he wasnt able to pass them trough and the family woke up in the morning with the dog dead in a pool of blood because the chewed up bones had made this "ball" that got stuck in the intestine.
is this a possiblity? and how high?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, I wont be able to get started for about another month as i have a full bag of kibble i just bought, and I dont really wanna trowh it away :)
I always tell people to donate their last bag of food to rescue.

But if you can't afford to do that its ok. Just use the next month to get prepared.

*Do you have plenty of freezer space? If not get a dedicated freezer for just meat for your dog. We have three full sized dedicated freezers. We like having the ability to get pretty much anything we can when the opportunity arises. The more freezer space the more variety of meats you can feed.

*How are you going to do portions? Are you feeding once a day or twice a day? We have 12 quart containers that hold ~10-15 pounds of meat, which lasts our 4 dogs about 1-2 days depending on what it is. Some people use ziplock bags and reuse them. You just have to find what works best.

*Where are you going to be getting your meat? I suggest doing a bit of work finding butchers or wholesale meat distributors who will sell you the "throw away" meat (chicken backs/frames, turkey necks/frames/wings, beef heart, organs, etc.) at a reasonable price. We have the "$1 rule" at our house which means we try to keep the cost of our meat below $1 per pound. Go to these butchers in person and ask to speak with the manager. Also try and find game meat processing places so you can get scraps. Look into local raw feeding co ops in your area. The options you have can be limitless depending on where you live.

I got another small question, what about vitamins and minerals and all the rest? does the meat and fish by itself give enough? or is there a need to supplement? cause I dont take vitamin pills for myself i rather eat a fruit then a stupid pill :D but what about the dog? would he need anything else beside the meat? and would ya add maybe a few veggie every so often or just only pure meat?
A well rounded raw diet with plenty of variety is complete and balanced. Nothing needs to be added in, unless you have a dog with special dietary needs. As long as you feed mostly muscle meat, some bone and some organs (liver and kidney at the very least) all the bases for nutrients are covered. The only "supplement" we give is omega fatty acid capsules but we give them like treats and not a daily thing.

Some people choose to add in veggies and fruit, but I don't think its necessary. Dogs don't possess the ability to digest them in their whole, raw form which logic tells me they don't need them. I think a lot of people forget that dogs are dogs, and not people. They get confused because they think a well rounded diet for a human is also a well rounded diet for dogs. But that couldn't be farther from the truth. Dogs are a different species and have different nutritional requirements.

Thanks again
Absolutely, happy to help :biggrin:

oh another thing, when i first got my dog the vet told me that giving bones to a dog was dangerous in some ways because once he was called to a house where a dog had eaten bones and he wasnt able to pass them trough and the family woke up in the morning with the dog dead in a pool of blood because the chewed up bones had made this "ball" that got stuck in the intestine.
is this a possiblity? and how high?
If you feed size appropriate RAW bones you will not have this issue at all. Most likely these people gave their dog cooked bones, and lots of them which caused the blockage.

Most vets don't know squat about real nutrition for dogs. Their textbooks are written by industry backed scientists....Hill's, Purina, Eukanuba, etc all write the "nutritional" needs of dogs, but you have to remember that they are selling you a product. Why would they want to say that it wasn't the most appropriate thing for a dog???

i remember reading through your website, natalie...it was so straightforward...and i don't know how to convey this, but it was comforting....

it's a great contribution....to beginners like me
Thanks, that's why I wrote it up. Glad that it helped :wink:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I always tell people to donate their last bag of food to rescue.

But if you can't afford to do that its ok. Just use the next month to get prepared.

*Do you have plenty of freezer space? If not get a dedicated freezer for just meat for your dog. We have three full sized dedicated freezers. We like having the ability to get pretty much anything we can when the opportunity arises. The more freezer space the more variety of meats you can feed.

*How are you going to do portions? Are you feeding once a day or twice a day? We have 12 quart containers that hold ~10-15 pounds of meat, which lasts our 4 dogs about 1-2 days depending on what it is. Some people use ziplock bags and reuse them. You just have to find what works best.

*Where are you going to be getting your meat? I suggest doing a bit of work finding butchers or wholesale meat distributors who will sell you the "throw away" meat (chicken backs/frames, turkey necks/frames/wings, beef heart, organs, etc.) at a reasonable price. We have the "$1 rule" at our house which means we try to keep the cost of our meat below $1 per pound. Go to these butchers in person and ask to speak with the manager. Also try and find game meat processing places so you can get scraps. Look into local raw feeding co ops in your area. The options you have can be limitless depending on where you live.
Dont have a big freezer at all was thinking of getting the dog food going to the super market either once a day or once every 2 days, is not much a problem as i live 5min walk away from one, that's why i wanna factor in a few things, if i had a freezer i could've gotten the discounts from a butcher but i cant this way ofc, so I'm gonna have to do a bit of calculation on how much it would all be.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
We wouldn't be able to survive going to the store every other day. We *have* to buy in bulk to make it even feasible and cost efficient. But if you only have one dog to feed you shouldn't have an issue with just shopping the sales at the store every couple of days.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We wouldn't be able to survive going to the store every other day. We *have* to buy in bulk to make it even feasible and cost efficient. But if you only have one dog to feed you shouldn't have an issue with just shopping the sales at the store every couple of days.
Ya shouldnt be much problem, I'm moving in a few months as well so it should be different afterward so it would just be a short term situation :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So today i tried to give the dog 1 pork rib to see how he would do with it mainly as a curiosity thing for me :smile: it was interesting to see he spent a good while of time just crunching the bones then eat it was cool to see the dog digging into a bone :biggrin:

But I was watching a video on youtube about how to raw feed a dog and the woman there said to freeze the meat for 20 days minimum to kill off all the parasites, and even then she said not all the parasites will be dead, now is that true? and if it is what kind of parasites are they?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts