Dog Food Chat banner

Just Starting Questions About Type Of Meat To Start On

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Thor_AK 
#1 ·
Ok, so I think I have decided to take the plunge and go RAW! But I was just wondering about why exactly everyone says to give the dogs chicken as the first meat? I wanted to start with turkey, and then got worried because of all of this chicken talk. So, why is this the most suggested form of meat to start on?

FYI, my idea is to start giving a turkey neck in the morning and ground turkey at night. What do you guys think?

#2 ·
I started with Blue Ridge Beef's ground turkey and natural mix, because I suspected that my dog was allergic to chicken. Turns out it was something else in the food. I think chicken is recommended to start with because it isn't as rich as red meat, the bones are easier for them to chew, and it's cheap!

My dog needed to lose some weight, so that's why we did turkey (leaner), but I also added in the natural mix that has beef because I didn't want her to lose muscle as well.

#3 ·
go to Prey Model Raw forum (getting started) , it is full of info.

chicken bones are softer and easier digested I believe. what ever you feed you should not feed skin for a while

#4 ·
I will be starting the RAW diet next weekend once the bag of kibble is up. Will do a day of fasting before starting and will be starting on chicken. I found whole chickens (will remove the skin) that I will be cutting up into thirds (they were about 6lb chickens and I will be feeding a saint). Found chicken livers also that I will be feeding. Will try chicken for the first month and then slowly start introducing other meets as I can find good deals on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.