Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this friend who switched her dog over to EVO. that is the only food she is giving the dog. She doesn't buy that he'll do better on different foods, different protein sources. Anyways, she's thinking about adding in a little canned. Does this seem like a good way to go or should she just stick with dry only?

ETA: Slightly off topic but, is it better for a dog to be on an all canned diet than an all kibble diet?

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Well in general variety is key, and adding different canned foods is one way of obtaining that. Canned foods also tend to hold more meat content, so I'd say it's definately in the benefit of the dog to add some.
They can also stick to evo, and rotate the different formulas, and that's still sticking with the same brand, but giving more variety.

In short: yes, adding a variety of cans is a good idea to a kibble diet, especially if there's no rotation going on.
BUT, canned foods are more expensive than just adding normal meat.

ETA: it's debatable. I think yes because canned foods generally have more meat content and are therefore closer to a dog's natural diet, they also hold more moisture, obviously. In the wild, dogs get a good amount of their moisture from the food they eat, not from drinking water. (this applies even moreso to cats)
Some argue that an all canned diet is bad for teeth, but I think kibble's "teeth cleaning benefits" is one of the bigger kibble myths. It's kibble that gets the gunk on the teeth to begin with. Try eating coco pufs for a week without brushing, and see how much it cleans your teeth. lol

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's kibble that gets the gunk on the teeth to begin with. Try eating coco pufs for a week without brushing, and see how much it cleans your teeth. lol
Very VERY true!!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
My dogs get grain free canned in the morning and Evo dry free fed in their bowls the rest of the day. I feel they get extra meat by giving them canned food. I vary their canned foods so they get a different source of protein. They get beef, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, bison, rabbit, elk, etc. Whatever I can find a real good sale on. Sometimes with a coupon code I can get it for less then $1 a can depending on the brand so I never spend huge money on it. I stock up when it is on sale. Right now I have 8 cases of canned food in my laundry room that were all gotten on big sale and will last me a good long time, even with 4 dogs (well, not really 4 since one is only 2 pounds!!)

I also just chuck some leftover meat that we have into their bowls in the morning. If we have a turkey, then they will have turkey mixed in and a little less canned food that day. Saves us money and they seem to really enjoy it and are all very healthy. They never get any other leftovers except meat that hasn't been cooked with anything else.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I have always added in some canned with my dogs kibble. Not only do I switch kibbles every few months, but I switch canned food even more. I only add a spoonful or two of the canned to Lucky's breakfast and dinner. So a case of canned food lasts me quite a while. Whatever kibble she is eating I try to make sure the canned is a totally different meat source than the meat source in the kibble. IMO, the canned adds a bit of variety and gives her some extra moisture.

She loves it and does really great with it. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
do you experience loose stool when you give canned in the morning and dry at night?
Mine have never had loose stools by having canned in the morning. They eat grain free canned, and all different varieties and companies, and have never had a problem. When Rocky was a baby I would mix his canned with his kibble for three meals a day, but now he just gets fed his canned in the am and his crunchies at about noon, but he eats the crunchies whenever he feels like it. Sometimes not until late at night, sometimes in the afternoon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts