Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During an average week what are your feeding your dogs? (Once out of the first phase)

I am wanting to coordinate my packaging and freezer a little to better suit what I feed. I completely forgot about eggs - and we are still working on liver - so include this please.

In advance, I do appreciate it - I wonder if I will ever get out of the newbie phase!!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
During an average week what are your feeding your dogs? (Once out of the first phase)

I am wanting to coordinate my packaging and freezer a little to better suit what I feed. I completely forgot about eggs - and we are still working on liver - so include this please.

In advance, I do appreciate it - I wonder if I will ever get out of the newbie phase!!
We have 12 quart containers that hold ~10-15 pounds of meat. We take one out of the freezer and let it thaw out over night and that generally lasts 2 days. We only pack one kind of meat per container so our dogs get 2-4 different types of meat per week. I generally alternate bone heavy meals with boneless meals, but try to never go more than two days without bone, or we start to see looser stools.

We feed on a regular basis: chicken quarters, turkey necks/wings/whole, beef heart, pork ribs/roasts, fish (whole), lamb necks, game meats (elk and venison) and kidney/liver. We do an entire meals of organ alternating between kidney and liver every two weeks. This is the easiest way for us because the digs *hate* organs and we have to just shove it down their throats. I don't recommend feeding so much organ meat to any newbie raw fed dog because it can cause them to get sick but ours do just fine with feeding organs this way.

Don't worry, you'll get out of the newbie phase soon enough, just be patient and keep up the good work :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
we are just coming out of the first phase...but here is what we will be feeding regularly:

chicken breast plus bone, necks, drumsticks, backs (eventually with organs and fat)
turkey breast plus bone, necks
tilapia, sardines, smelts
pork ribs ( if they can get through them, if not, they will be recreational bones), pork meat from sirloin roasts and then probably cheaper cuts..
beef to include whatever we can get on sale. bones from beef will be strictly recreational as our dogs are smallish
lamb - necks, ground, shoulder
eventually eggs

they also get: condroitin and glucosamine and alaskan salmon oil...

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I actually have a set schedule, only because the way I package my meat and store it makes it incredibly easy for me to do it. I feed two meals a day, one is USUALLY chicken, but sometimes not, and then the other will be whatever protein source we're feeding that day. We're starting to feed less chicken per week as we are learning where to get better deals on meat, but for the time being, I feed about 40% chicken to keep raw affordable.

Monday: Fish (I buy whole talapia, whole bass, whole sardines, and carp if it's on super sale. I sometimes feed canned salmon and canned mackerel, but maybe once a month)
Tuesday: Pork (I buy pork picnic roasts)
Wednesday: Heart (Pork or beef heart. I prefer pork heart due to size and they're whole)
Thursday: Fish or Pork, depending on what we have more of
Friday: Beef or Goat (whatever is on sale, usually a rib bone to gnaw on, supplemented with ground beef or a chunk off a brisket I'm not sure what the "cut" of goat is called)
Saturday: Turkey (whole)
Sunday: Lamb (breast)

I don't think a set schedule is important, it's just really easy with the way I have my freezer set up, so I just have a paper on my freezer so we know what to pull out that day. I buy my meat in bulk, and package it into one day baggies for each of my dogs. Then I have plastic containers in my freezer, labeled with what each contains. For example "Grissom-Beef" will contain all the day baggies containing beef, portioned for grissom. and then "Annie-Pork" will contain all Annie's pork days. It sounds a lot more complicated than it is, I find it super easy, and pretty mindless when we have people dogsit.

I feed organs daily, a glob of liver, and a chunk of kidney is in each baggie. When the "meat storm" hits, and I'm cutting up all my meat for the month, I just chop up some beef kidney, and some beef liver, and toss some in each bag, with a glob of chicken liver in each bag. I don't feed organs on heart days, or when I feed whole fish, because heart is already rich, and whole fish contain organs.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
I actually have a set schedule, only because the way I package my meat and store it makes it incredibly easy for me to do it. I feed two meals a day, one is USUALLY chicken, but sometimes not, and then the other will be whatever protein source we're feeding that day. We're starting to feed less chicken per week as we are learning where to get better deals on meat, but for the time being, I feed about 40% chicken to keep raw affordable.

Monday: Fish (I buy whole talapia, whole bass, whole sardines, and carp if it's on super sale. I sometimes feed canned salmon and canned mackerel, but maybe once a month)
Tuesday: Pork (I buy pork picnic roasts)
Wednesday: Heart (Pork or beef heart. I prefer pork heart due to size and they're whole)
Thursday: Fish or Pork, depending on what we have more of
Friday: Beef or Goat (whatever is on sale, usually a rib bone to gnaw on, supplemented with ground beef or a chunk off a brisket I'm not sure what the "cut" of goat is called)
Saturday: Turkey (whole)
Sunday: Lamb (breast)

I don't think a set schedule is important, it's just really easy with the way I have my freezer set up, so I just have a paper on my freezer so we know what to pull out that day. I buy my meat in bulk, and package it into one day baggies for each of my dogs. Then I have plastic containers in my freezer, labeled with what each contains. For example "Grissom-Beef" will contain all the day baggies containing beef, portioned for grissom. and then "Annie-Pork" will contain all Annie's pork days. It sounds a lot more complicated than it is, I find it super easy, and pretty mindless when we have people dogsit.

I feed organs daily, a glob of liver, and a chunk of kidney is in each baggie. When the "meat storm" hits, and I'm cutting up all my meat for the month, I just chop up some beef kidney, and some beef liver, and toss some in each bag, with a glob of chicken liver in each bag. I don't feed organs on heart days, or when I feed whole fish, because heart is already rich, and whole fish contain organs.
now, that's what i call organised...

we do much the same thing..and it really worked when we were only feeding chicken or chicken and turkey....but we've added fish now and pork to the mix....

so the freezer is organised, but my fridge isn't....

we are also getting a little further away from chicken, although i don't see stopping the backs...and when they are allowed to have organs and more fat, i can see the use of chicken backs with the 'stuff' left on.

now that i'm thinking about it.....your way gives them a more well rounded diet....if i continue to de-organise and just fill the fridge with food and serve them one from column a and one from column b, etc....i might miss out...especially as the menu gets more diversified.

best to do it your way, i'm thinking.....that way the dogs get all the nutrition they need.....

::::::eek:ff to organise once again:::::
:)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have no set schedule, but try to feed every different meat source at least once a week...

Chicken quarters, backs, and necks. Turkey necks and drumsticks. Pork Riblets and shoulder roast, beef heart, ribs and any other beef I can get, Lamb Riblets, neck, and shoulder. Game meats. Sardines/sardine grind. Liver once a week usually with the beef heart meal. And this week they will be getting rabbit!! got some for free from a friend...haven't tried it yet, but I am sure they will love it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts