Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after my golden ret mix spent the bulk of his life on nutro large breed (puppy then adult), I switched him to Merrick Turducken. It's been about 3 weeks now and he is chewing on his paws worse then ever. I bought a bag of the orijen fresh fish adult formula and would like to know how much I should feed him? He weights 78 lbs (could lose a few lbs) and has always ate 1 1/2 cups twice a day on his old food. He isn't super active, he enjoys sleeping most of the day. Is 1 and a half fine to continue with or should I cut it down more since he is on orijen? Thanks

·
Registered
333 Posts
though the package will recommend a certain amount...i really think the answer to your question is up to you and your pup. each dog seems to eat a different amount so i never follow what the recommended amount is. its kind of trial and error.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Well it looks like the reccomended ammount it 2 3/4-3 3/4, but since they generally reccomend higher, I'd feed 2.5 cups a day. So 1 cup less then what you used to.

When I used to feed orijen, Uno ate 1.5 cups- once a day and he's 70 lbs.

Ultimately its up to you to see and decide how your dog responds to the food and if reduction or increase is necessary.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Orijen 6 fish

I would just stay on what u were feeding him and see how he does.

I recently switched to orijen 6 fish due to digestive issues on orijen adult/innova/taste of the wild. hes doing awesome now

i realized he probably has a sensitivity to chicken/turkey which was in all those foods..crazy. Maybe the turkey in the turducken made his allergies worse which is why he was licking his feet

i have a great dane puppy and he eats 5.5 cups a day of 6 fish but hes very active and only 6 months old.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Based on the information you provided I'd start with 1 cup twice a day and just go from there. You mentioned he could stand to lose a few pounds, so adjust the feeding as needed to reach that goal. When he reaches the ideal weight, then adjust feeding again to maintain the weight.
You'll be able to tell what's working and what's not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts