Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GRR!!

So I'm looking for a wholesaler that I can buy meat from in bulk. I've really been looking for beef heart since Walmart no longer seems to carry it. I have a friend whose family owns a resort and the place they order from doesn't carry it. I'm going to make a list of stuff for her to ask about since they don't have a catalog or anything. Hopefully they will have something I can buy in bulk that will save me some $$.

Its just really frustrating since there are no co-ops around my area either. Maybe I should move? lol :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Just go into any family run grocery store (not a chain) and talk to the meat person, ask him if you could be included in some of his orders and find out price per lb. first and tell him he doesn't have to store it for you, you'll come in and pick it up the day it comes in.

Most of these stores are willing to add you to their orders maybe for a small fee, but don't call them, just go in and talk to them in person.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I have had good luck at small independent grocery stores (not chains). Talk to the owner or meat manager. Tell him you will be buying in bulk and ask if they will just add your order to their regular order. Tell them that you will call in the order and pick it up on the delivery day. Explain that they don't have to do anything but unload it off the truck and put it in the cooler until you get there. They don't have to separate, package or do anything to it. It is real easy money for them.

Visit these stores in person. If you call you are just an interruption of their normal duties. If you visit, you are a customer with money in hand. Big difference. Also, its real easy to say, "no" to someone on the phone. More difficult in person.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You are in the same state as Hare-Today!! I have ordered from them and highly recommend them. They have fabulous meats and great prices. Just about anything you can think of. My shipping was almost as much as my order though, which was a big drawback.

I definitely suggest you check them out as a meat source!

Hare Today, Gone Tommorow

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks White and Raw! I'll have to give it a try.

I guess I shouldn't complain too much I just got another really awesome hit off of craiglists. I got about 50 pounds of meat for free today.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I'm sowwies! :frown:

:biggrin:

Actually this person found my ad off of freecycle.
Oh well then, I guess that's different. :tongue: I've looked at that site, but it scares me for some reason. I don't think that I fully grasp how it works. LOL

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have no good resourses here. There are NO small chains in my area. It is so competitive small businesses do not last. I have found a place about an hour inland that I have been trying to get someone to just answer their phone GRR - I know its a pisser:mad:

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Re, we have a pretty large group, over 600 members! I've joined some of those other groups just to see what they have to offer and they have a pretty small membership, but they do have great info in their databases about where to buy regular stuff in bulk, not necessarilly in a group buy.

Reactions: magicre

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh well then, I guess that's different. :tongue: I've looked at that site, but it scares me for some reason. I don't think that I fully grasp how it works. LOL
Its just like craigslists except everything has to be free and I think you can only post a "wanted" ad every other month or something. You should give it a try!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts