Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So should I? I have a couple whole chickens in the freezer, dogs that need better than they're getting now, and a rudimentry knowledge gleaned from confusing and conflicting information found mostly on the net.
My almost 7 year old min-pin cross is losing his glow. Last october he got bitten and went blind in one eye. He has no zest now and hasn't healed phisically or mentally as well as he could. There's a whole story here but another time. My vet cut us loose after 3 months of care but I think he could be so much better and you can't single out just one.
So, Shatzi, 9lbs.=1/5lb. Kayla, 4.5lbs.=1/10lb. Sunny,4.75 mths, should mature aprox. 14-16 lbs.=1/2lb.
Main question would be how best to devide up the chicken. What parts to feed first, does it really matter, or should I wait and buy backs.
I guess all I'm really asking for is the usual "words of wisdom for the newbie speech":biggrin:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
All of your dogs would benefit greatly from the switch to a raw diet. With five dogs to feed you could cut your costs down big time, I know because we have 4 dogs that all weigh over 60 pounds. We almost rarely spend over a dollar a pound for food, unless its something like game meat, but never more than $2 per pound. Read through this link, its the best "how to" article on making the switch to raw. Come back with any and all questions you might (will) have!

How to get started | Prey Model Raw

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Do it!

We're here to help, remember. :D

I'm 100% confident any questions you have will get answered!

I love this forum, everyone here is friendly and helpful beyond belief. Do it, you have mentors.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Another vote for do it!

I switched about a month ago...I would never go back to kibble after seeing the results in my dogs and my wallet!!

This was said before but....really this is a great site! Whenever you have questions or concerns or need that little extra nudge someone is always here to help you!! These people are GREAT!!

DO IT....you wont be sorry :smile:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Give yourself 10 days of feeding your dogs raw and you'll be dope slapping yourself for not switching sooner--if my reaction is any indication. :)

You can get a ton of info, input, and links here to get you going. Search this forum, and read old threads. I just like to repeat to those new to raw feeding, that the learning curve feels steep--it really isn't, but it can feel that way. I was overwhelmed by the info, undone by figuring out how to put the menu together (not a big deal), taken over by the "meat storm" of packing up bags of raw meat, etc. I pooped me out. After no more than a week, I felt like an old hand. Just know that those feelings can happen, and if they do, it's normal. Ask away here, and people can help you sort things out.

Do it. ASAP. Best thing for your dog, and you will never look back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay we're well started. This mornings meal went off with out a hitch. They finished thier portions of chicken back in about 10 minutes chewing methodically and happily. Then they wagged their tails and asked for more:smile: They're going to be so happy to get the same for dinner. It was kind of interesting trying to figure 1/20th of a pound for the tiny dog, the scale doesn't go that small. No stomach upset of any kind going on.
Thank you for the replies. Onward with raw feeding, Jill

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Okay we're well started. This mornings meal went off with out a hitch. They finished thier portions of chicken back in about 10 minutes chewing methodically and happily. Then they wagged their tails and asked for more:smile: They're going to be so happy to get the same for dinner. It was kind of interesting trying to figure 1/20th of a pound for the tiny dog, the scale doesn't go that small. No stomach upset of any kind going on.
Thank you for the replies. Onward with raw feeding, Jill
Way to go!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts