Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
“My gut reaction is they do probably provide some therapeutic effect benefit. But I’m never going to say there’s enough benefit that marijuana should be given to pets. I’m saying there’s enough justification that we need to study it.”

Dr. Dawn Boothe, Clinical Pharmacology Laboratory director, Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine"

https://www.avma.org/News/JAVMANews/Pages/x130601t.aspx?utm_source=home-rotator&utm_medium=web

Why study it when she says never?! Bet she would change her tune if Big Pharma had a patent on the tincture, sponsored a chair in the Department of Clinical Pharmacology, followed the Science Diet/Purina/Royal Canin model at the College of Veterinary Medicine and made a hefty donation to the Auburn University general fund. There might be a few new profitable stocks in her portfolio.

How did Miles' owner, Denise, obtain the tincture? Did she make it herself or need a script from an MD? A vet can't prescribe it as it is still a schedule I controlled substance when used as a pet medicine. Perhaps it is being sold by the medical marijuana dispensaries to anyone who asks or by referral by vets such as Dr. Kramer? Everyone knows, nothing is said?

·
Registered
495 Posts
How can a dog evince a placebo effect??? I guess the statement was probably about the owners but it still made me scratch my head.

And I agree, when there are $$ involved there will be alot more interest. I would assume the owner got a human prescription for herself but who knows. I know it's really easy to get a marijuana card in California.

·
Registered
791 Posts
“My gut reaction is they do probably provide some therapeutic effect benefit. But I’m never going to say there’s enough benefit that marijuana should be given to pets. I’m saying there’s enough justification that we need to study it.”

Dr. Dawn Boothe, Clinical Pharmacology Laboratory director, Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine"

https://www.avma.org/News/JAVMANews/Pages/x130601t.aspx?utm_source=home-rotator&utm_medium=web

Why study it when she says never?! Bet she would change her tune if Big Pharma had a patent on the tincture, sponsored a chair in the Department of Clinical Pharmacology, followed the Science Diet/Purina/Royal Canin model at the College of Veterinary Medicine and made a hefty donation to the Auburn University general fund. There might be a few new profitable stocks in her portfolio.

How did Miles' owner, Denise, obtain the tincture? Did she make it herself or need a script from an MD? A vet can't prescribe it as it is still a schedule I controlled substance when used as a pet medicine. Perhaps it is being sold by the medical marijuana dispensaries to anyone who asks or by referral by vets such as Dr. Kramer? Everyone knows, nothing is said?
I, too, would assume Denise was able to get a medical marijuana license for herself and share the benefits with her animal. I know I'd like to get some cannabis oil to have on hand and to take for the myriad of illnesses I have. It still requires a medical license here in WA but in December it will be open to all residents over 21, I believe. I am leery honestly to leave this state solely for that reason I feel like with all the health issues going on, I need to always have access to cannabis oil and it's healing benefits.

I hope this country changes soon!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used to make my weim biscuits made with pot butter. Not only did it work better than the tranquilizers and SSRI prescribed by his vet for the SEVERE separation anxiety he suffered from, he also kept weight on better. I never saw any negative side effects.

I hope I don't catch too much flak for this post... I realize it is unconventional, but I spent thousands of dollars and seemingly endless remedies for the SA, so it was really nice to find something that helped him relax and stopped the self mutilation.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I used to make my weim biscuits made with pot butter. Not only did it work better than the tranquilizers and SSRI prescribed by his vet for the SEVERE separation anxiety he suffered from, he also kept weight on better. I never saw any negative side effects.

I hope I don't catch too much flak for this post... I realize it is unconventional, but I spent thousands of dollars and seemingly endless remedies for the SA, so it was really nice to find something that helped him relax and stopped the self mutilation.
When I get back pain, the only thing that's helped in the past has been the butter. The smoking doesn't do it, but when I eat it, my back almost always stops hurting or cuts way back. I totally would try the same for my animal, in fact, I have an anxiety ridden pup who might need some butter next time!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
How can a dog evince a placebo effect??? I guess the statement was probably about the owners but it still made me scratch my head.

And I agree, when there are $$ involved there will be alot more interest. I would assume the owner got a human prescription for herself but who knows. I know it's really easy to get a marijuana card in California.
I did a double take on the placebo effect statement.

Did a bit of googling after I posted. The US government owns Patent #663050 not for the plant itself but for cannabinoids. The same government that classifies marijuana as a Schedule 1 substance defined as having no medical value and being highly addictive. The patent states Cannabinoids have been found to have antioxidant properties, unrelated to
NDMA receptor antagonism. This new found property makes cannabinoids useful in treatment and prophylaxis of a wide variety of oxidation associated diseases, such as ischemic, age related, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants… Blatant hypocrisy! I think this allows the government to continue to hold the patent or sell to Big Pharma. Hold and control or go with the will of the people. I think they will eventually offer it as a carrot to the people and continue to play their Monsanto, big banking games.
Marijuana Poll Finds Almost Half Support Legalizing Its Growth

For those who may not know mj has not always been illegal. It was done due to efforts of DuPont, William Randolph Hearst and Harry J. Anslinger, Federal Bureau of Narcotics to control the highly profitable hemp industry.

Sad because of all of the pain and suffering. Dogs and people who could benefit from a substance that is less harmful than what Big Pharma is making millions on. Sad because of all of the lives ruined and the cost of enforcement. Legalize it. Tax it. Be done with it.

Oh, California was one of the first states to make it illegal.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I, too, would assume Denise was able to get a medical marijuana license for herself and share the benefits with her animal. I know I'd like to get some cannabis oil to have on hand and to take for the myriad of illnesses I have. It still requires a medical license here in WA but in December it will be open to all residents over 21, I believe. I am leery honestly to leave this state solely for that reason I feel like with all the health issues going on, I need to always have access to cannabis oil and it's healing benefits.

I hope this country changes soon!
The article stated it is labeled as "pet medicine" at the dispensaries. When I found directions for the tincture online it was x grams per x kilogram of body weight. So, I assume the pet tincture would be weaker than the human formula. Maybe she weakened it at home.

Is the MJ prescription for a specific item? For example, can a person only buy 1 oz. of buds if that is what the Dr. prescribed? Or could a person convert that to an equivalent amount of tincture and brownies? Also, would it be illegal if 1 oz. of buds was prescribed and the person converted it in their own home to oil and cannabutter?

The change is coming. Keeping it illegal is not a money maker for the politicians or big business. I imagine most of them have smoked or have kids who have so they know the horror stories of Harry J. Anslinger, published and promoted by William Randolph Hearst, were not true. Legalization will appease the masses and has the potential to bring in significant tax revenue. Texas may be the last place on earth but it will happen.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The online news services are reporting studies that support the benefits and legalization of mj almost every week. Two of the latest are that mj users metabolizes cholesterol more effectively and the benefits to diabetics. Your statements add to the increasing body of anecdotal evidence.

There is not anything being said here that is not known across the internet except figuring out how the "pet medicine" arrangement works. People are finally feeling free to talk about it without serious repercussions. 15 years ago I almost fell out when my friend told her husband about my life in the 60s and 70s mostly because I had a government job and had told her to keep it to herself. Now, I couldn't care less.

I did think "spliff" was a bit much as a username. Guess that is why I can't help smiling when I listen to the Bellamy Brothers sequence of Old Hippie songs. I can relate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts