Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
a little over a month now since Aspen's been on raw. We couldn't be any happier! I haven't had any problems at all. I gave him small chix liver yesterday with his evening meal, and no loose stools whatsoever. When he was on a cooked diet, I included liver and kidney in his meals. I only boiled them for about 3 minutes. I guess they were kinda semi raw. Should I go ahead and introduce organs slowly or should I wait a bit longer? :smile:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would continue to introduce slowly. My theory is that avoiding diarrhea in the first place is a lot easier than fixing it once it happens :)

See how his stools are with a few days of the amount of liver you're feeding, and then increase a little, doing the same method until you're at the desired amount.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I started really small with organ meat out of fear, but so far so good as well.

My groomer, bless her, gave me pureed beef liver for 'brownies', but Flip loves it so much raw off the spoon that I haven't made them yet. Sometimes I smear the pureed beef liver on their meat.

I'm with danemomma, chicken liver is gross gross gross. I much prefer handling beef liver so far.

Reactions: malluver1005

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
You know, considering my line of work, I sure am easily squicked out!

I am glad he is doing so well, I'd love to see recent pictures of the big handsome guy.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know, considering my line of work, I sure am easily squicked out!

I am glad he is doing so well, I'd love to see recent pictures of the big handsome guy.
I'm trying to fix my camera right now as I am typing. I've been wanting to post raw feeding pictures of him forever. I'll see if I can get a shot of him eating his ribs tomorrow morning! :smile:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Slow intro is the key for every element of a raw diet.
If all is well, stools are solid, then go ahead and try small amounts of liver. If stools get loose, reduce the amount. Total trial and error. The worst that will happen is looser stools, and a meal or two of bone heavy cuts will solve that.
Increase the amount each time, until you're at the desired amount.
Some people feed a whole meal of organs each week. I prefer to feed a little each day. I give Grissom one chicken liver and a chunk of beef kidney each day, and annie gets two chicken livers, and a bigger chunk of beef kidney.
I agree that chicken livers aren't super fun to handle, but they're the perfect size for the way I feed organs, so I stick with it

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some people feed a whole meal of organs each week. I prefer to feed a little each day.
I think I'm going to also feed a little each day. IMO, just seems easier... :smile:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree that chicken livers aren't super fun to handle, but they're the perfect size for the way I feed organs, so I stick with it
Agreed! They are definitely a lot easier to cut up into really small pieces for the cat, too.

I ordered 5lbs of livers from my co-op ($3.65 for all 5lbs, and that's gonna last me forever!) and they came frozen all stuck together in a huge bag.

Separating that was by no means my idea of fun. They smell like formaldehyde to me haha.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts