Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm sitting here watching my dogs eat their FIRST EVER raw meal (chicken backs). I gave them about a smaller portion of food than I would normally have given them, and they're taking forever. haha. They just LOVE it, though, absolutely enjoying it to no ends. But seriously, it's amazing to sit here and watch them, because even while eating, their personalities come out in them so much, which never really happened when they were on kibble. Amaya was gingerly picking off the pieces of meat, literally stripping it to the bone, and now she's working on those bones. Ryou finished his already. haha. He chomped it down and down and down until it was one big ball, then chomped it in half and swallowed. haha. And Amaya has this look on her face (when she's not being distracted by the kitties running around), that just SAYS pure harmony. It really is amazing.

I also made my first rookie mistake. Forgot to thaw the chicken, so it was all frozen together. Took almost three HOURS to unthaw it enough to get the pieces that I needed off of the big pack of backs frozen together. haha. That was fun.

Then, while I was getting it ready, they stood there and watched me the entire time, and when I grabbed their meals, they got SO excited. Amaya was, like, freaking out, it was so funny. She forgot which crate she was supposed to go into to get her food. I was worried that she might have been one of those dogs, the ones that go "What am I supposed to do with this?" But no, she dug right in once I tossed it into the crate for her. It's like she's a DOG again, getting excited for food and actually eating it and not looking at it then looking at me, like, "I don't want this, mom."

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Isn't it great?! Glad that your dogs are taking right to it and not giving you a hard time about it. Keep up the good work and keep us all updated on all the other benefits you notice!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yay that's great! SO glad I found you in that store and pointed you in the raw direction so Amaya could finally enjoy her meals :biggrin:

How long did it take her to finish it?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
How long did it take her to finish it?
Only, about, FOREVER!!! hahaha.

I think her jaw was getting tired towards the end, especially considering how little she's really eaten lately, and that it was kibble. I can't wait to see their teeth in a few weeks. I checked for tartar build up the other day, and they both had quite a bit. Amaya had more, which surprised me, because I thought Ryou would, seeing as he inhales his food, and Amaya chews. Luckily, I had NO problem with Ryou chewing yesterday morning and last night. Could have been because it was such a large piece of bones and meat. haha.

So, I took them out just now and watched them poop...Solid. More than solid. Way TOO solid. So I'm going to add SOME chicken quarters into their meals tonight, only tonight because they're still completely frozen, and I already had to deal with the already frozen YESTERDAY. hahaha.

I'm so thrilled. I don't think they had ANY tummy upsets from the change, unless you call constipation part of having a tummy upset, which it could be. haha. They both pooped very little, and it was all very, very, very firm (just by looking, of course), so I think it's safe to assume that they're a little bit constipated, but since they actually did poop, it didn't take them forever, and they showed no signs of distress, I'm not going to be TOO overly worried about it, unless someone tells me to be. haha.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts