Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, I was wondering if there is enough of a difference in veal (as compared to beef) for it to be worth feeding it. :confused:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Veal is just baby cow. A lot of people stay away from it because of how they are treated.

Nutritionally they shouldn't be all that different than normal beef. I guess I wouldn't turn it down if someone offered it to us :wink:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
they are treated horrendously....'course, now i hear about rabbits held in cages where their feet don't touch the ground and chickens who are put into a room and by the time they are ready for slaughter, can barely breathe due to size constrictions...

that for some, free range means they have a two foot radius outside their cage...

personally, i would not give my dogs veal....unless you get a phenomenal price..right now, here --- veal retail is 14 dolla per pound....we don't even eat it, so none for the dogs, though they eat better than us. :)

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I don't buy it unless it's been reduced for a quick sell.:biggrin: They get plenty of beef as it is and to me veal is beef just real young.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just curious because I can get veal breasts for $1.09 a pound. I didn't know if it was worth it or not.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
as long as you don't have a problem with your conscience, get them. veal is wonderful....wow. that's incredible.

here, it's 14.99 a pound
It's probably that much for a veal cutlet, as it is here too.

This cut of veal probably wouldn't be worth the price since it has a good amount of bone. I can get some beef head meat without bone for $1.31 a pound instead. :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts

This cut of veal probably wouldn't be worth the price since it has a good amount of bone. I can get some beef head meat without bone for $1.31 a pound instead. :biggrin:
can dogs eat veal bone? if so, why not?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
can dogs eat veal bone? if so, why not?
I would imagine so because bones of a young animal are always softer than they are as an adult. I would still be hesitant to feed weight bearing bones from baby cows since I am still hesitant to feed the weight bearing bones of a pig, which are probably close to the same size. Considering you have smaller dogs I wouldn't worry about it since they just don't have the jaw power to chomp on bones hard enough to break teeth, but there is still is a chance to break a tooth.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts

i wouldn't pass up on breast of bone...if it's a young cow, then the breast should be pretty porous, as natalie says...and the price is unbelievable...wow.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i wouldn't pass up on breast of bone...if it's a young cow, then the breast should be pretty porous, as natalie says...and the price is unbelievable...wow.
Yeah, the only thing is I'm a bit apprehensive about getting it. I just recently got that lamb breast and it was quite a bit of fat on it. I'm wondering if the veal would be the same way. :confused:

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Post a picture of the lamb breast and I'll let you know if mine looks similiar.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Basically, this is what the lamb breasts looked like (which are now all dismantled) except on the other side there was a covering of fat ranging from 1/2 inch to 1 inch thick. I got them from Harvest Meats and they came in a 30 pound box with 4 vacuum sealed packages, each containing 2 breasts.

I'll try and post a picture of the cut up breasts today...however I've trimmed off a good bit of the fat. I wanted it to be at least 50/50 meat and fat. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Basically, this is what the lamb breasts looked like (which are now all dismantled) except on the other side there was a covering of fat ranging from 1/2 inch to 1 inch thick. I got them from Harvest Meats and they came in a 30 pound box with 4 vacuum sealed packages, each containing 2 breasts.

I'll try and post a picture of the cut up breasts today...however I've trimmed off a good bit of the fat. I wanted it to be at least 50/50 meat and fat. :rolleyes:
i should think that veal is pretty fatty too.....but at the price you're getting it, IMO, worth the effort....not even sure i'd give it to the dogs LOL

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i should think that veal is pretty fatty too.....but at the price you're getting it, IMO, worth the effort....not even sure i'd give it to the dogs LOL
Haha...well if I win the lottery, I'll ship some over for ya. :wink: I'd have to win the lotto to be able to afford that shipping. :eek:

·
Registered
52 Posts
How is it? And where did you get it from?
Exactly!

Considering a lot of other countries do not allow the importing of US beef and Mexico just recently rejected some beef that had a high Ca content. I'm not a huge fan of eating beef very often. I called the FDA & USDA and they do not have a lot of control over the process, birth through grocery store.

Seeing Veal at any price below $7 lb is shocking. I've hear of veal going for up to $14 lb.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts