Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I got a big tube of ground beef at Wal-Mart last weekend that is 73/27. Is 27% too much fat content? I'll just return it if it is. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I THINK you are very new to raw feeding. If so, freeze this stuff for a couple of months. It will be fine to feed after your dog has adjusted to digesting real food. Right now he needs bone in most every meal and it's a little to early (if I am remembering right) to feed beef. If you have already been feeding raw for a couple of months, disregard this post. :smile:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Nope, that's a perfectly fine amount of fat. However, as RFD said, unless your dog has been on raw for at least a month if not longer, you'll probably want to save it until the tummy is a little more adjusted. Beef is very rich and you don't want to introduce it too soon!

·
Banned
493 Posts
Yes, like the others have said, I'd wait for a couple of months until your dog's system adjusts to being on a raw diet. For the first few months it would be best to stick with chicken backs and quarters, and then you can begin introducing other meat sources into his diet.

As far as the fat goes, 27% fat is not too much, for fat is a very important component of their diet. Like I've said, I wouldn't feed the beef quite yet, but in a few months when you do, don't worry, that is not too much fat. Now, granted you may not want to feed that much fat content every night, but once or twice per weeks would be just fine. The only worry is a dog developing pancreatitis, but if only used occasionally, 27% fat should be just fine. Just don't overdo it.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I will add that it is not ideal to feed lots of ground meats, but the occasional ground meal is ok! I wouldn't feed ground more than once a week tops.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah 10 days is definitely still too early. Give it another month or so and see how your pup's system is handling other types of meat first.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
This is the same as what I buy for my dogs, mostly because it's cheap. I don't have any issues with it.
Unfortunately as far as beef goes, usually ground is the only cost effective option for me, but occasionally I'll find a really good sale and stock up. Grissom gets ground beef about once per week, and i'm comfortable with it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guess what? S-C-O-R-E!!!! At my monthly meat CSA pick up there were two boxes of FREE meat--beef hearts, lamb kidneys, hearts, livers and tongues! She just had an over-supply with not enough demand. I walked away with about 20 lbs of pasture-raised free meat for my doggie! Awesome, huh? She sure won't eat like that on my budget!!!! Psych! :biggrin:

·
Banned
493 Posts
Cool deal! Also, I stalked up on some fresh salmon for only $1.79 per pound. Manager's Special at Kroger:biggrin:

I was going to try some canned sardines, but they were MUCH more expensive that just going with fresh salmon on sale.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Canned fish is always more expensive. Just look at the label and see how much canned fish costs per pound, or do the math if they don't have it broken down for you like that. Remember 16 ounces in a pound :wink:

This is one reason why we don't really do canned fish anymore...its just too expensive for us, but its one of the only fish sources that two of our dogs will touch :confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts