Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been feeding raw for about 6 weeks now. Thought I would try organ meat. If I'm feeding them about a 1lb. of food/day, should I be feeding about 11oz of organ meat a week??? I'm going to give them organ meat 2x a week so that would be about 5-6 oz. twice a week right???

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Thats close but don't worry about close. You need to feed mostly meat, SOME bone and SOME organs. Exact amounts don't really matter. My dogs get "a glob" of liver once a week. How big is the glob? Don't know ... it's just a glob. I've never weighed it. It's not a lot. If I had to guess, I would say 1/2 a pound and my dogs are big dogs.

Be sure that when you begin organs, start with very small amounts and work up to what feels good to you. The dogs willl let you know when you over estimate. :smile:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
We do one meal of liver and one of kidney a week, approximately a 1/2 pound per dog, which totals 2 organ meals a week. We don't measure things out either...we just shove it down their throats since none of them will eat it, exept the chowhound puppy.

If you have trouble getting them to eat it, you can try freezing it and giving it like a meatsicle, or VERY, VERY, VERY lightly searing it. You definitely don't want to cook it. I used to do this, but found that its just easier to shove it down their throats since its not that much meat.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I freeze all my organ meats, depending on how many dogs you feed, take out the organ from the freezer several hrs before feeding time so it's slightly defrosted. Ever since I have done it this way I've never had a problem with the dogs eating the organ meat be it liver or kidney by itself, never having to mix it with anything else. I always cut it up and hand feed it though!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
we just shove it down their throats since none of them will eat it, exept the chowhound puppy.

but found that its just easier to shove it down their throats since its not that much meat.
LMAO!!!! :biggrin: I have a visual of that.:smile:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I was cutting up some venison this a.m. I cut some 1" squares of the liver to test them with. They all ate it. Hurray!!! Of course, that was a small portion. Not sure what they will do when given a larger piece. I hope I don't have to shove it down their throats:eek::biggrin:
I just don't think I can do the kidney thing. My dogs wouldn't even eat it. That was enough excuse to never buy any again. That stuff stinks. Can't take the urine smell. I can handle the liver, but no more kidney.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Lamb kidney doesn't smell, I feed it all the time!

Reactions: Lynn In Tenn

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I haven't ever noticed beef kidney smelling before either...it just smells "organy" like liver...which is not great either LOL

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
My dogs get "a glob" of liver once a week. How big is the glob? Don't know ... it's just a glob.
totally off topic...
for some reason, probably indicating I need to go to bed, this was the most hilarious sentence ever. :biggrin:
Okay, okay, I don't get out much....:redface:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah, I used to notice that store-bought beef liver absolutely reeks of blood and made me want to puke, but fresh, ranch-given-to-me-from-her-friend liver does not as much. I've never noticed much of a smell with the kidneys.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I bought this at the local grocery, and it smelled like urine.:eek: Maybe I should have told them to keep the kidneys from the deer but I was afraid it would smell like what I bought at the store. The deer liver didn't bother me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts