Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this on a website I was reading. I currently mix dry and wet food, am I harming my dog by doing this?

"Although the cooking process kills bacteria in the ingredients, the final product can pick up more bacteria during the subsequent drying, coating, and packaging process. Some experts warn that getting dry food wet can allow the bacteria on the surface to multiply and make pets sick. Do not mix dry food with water, milk, canned food, or other liquids."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
yea wetting dry food a little brings out the flavor of the food. though that statement may have some truth...we're talking about our pups here. I don't know about you guys...but my baby drags her toys around everywhere...dirt, mud, the kitchen, etc. Granted I wash it off...but im sure she gets more bacteria from the toys and from licking her own butt than from the food.:biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
718 Posts
I think this is one of those CYA statements that is typical of a food manufacturer or so-called "experts" who assume a worst-case scenario. I think this is probably referring to letting dry food that has had liquid added to it sit for awhile and potentially getting spoiled. Some people "free-feed" their dogs which creates the potential for food sitting around all day in the heat. I personally schedule-feed mine and carefully control their portions and they are well mannered and eat when I feed them, staying out of each-others bowls, and rarely leaving left-overs. I do this twice a day and sometimes there is a little left over but I leave it out and it usually gets eaten within a couple hours.

But if you left wet food in the bowl and it sat there for any length of time, especially in warm weather, I can imagine that the conditions exist for botulism or other types of bacterial contamination or spoilage. I suspect that if you mix wet and dry (or top dry with wet) and your dog(s) eat their food without it sitting around all day, the chances of spoilage are minimal. If you free-feed your dogs and the food tends to sit for long periods of time, that might be a problem.

Just my opinion and thoughts on this.

Jay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, thanks everyone! No, my two pups eat twice a day and each time they will eat all their food before leaving, as well as lick the bowl for several minutes after! Thanks so much for the responses!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,009 Posts
I found this on a website I was reading. I currently mix dry and wet food, am I harming my dog by doing this?

"Although the cooking process kills bacteria in the ingredients, the final product can pick up more bacteria during the subsequent drying, coating, and packaging process. Some experts warn that getting dry food wet can allow the bacteria on the surface to multiply and make pets sick. Do not mix dry food with water, milk, canned food, or other liquids."
In my opinion, the only time this could be an issue is if the food sits and sits for hours (or days) which NEVER happens in my house!
but I haven't really looked into it much. I just can't imagine bacteria being there in an instant.
I know you're not supposed to let wet cat food sit for hours, and I guess I'm basing my opinion on this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,419 Posts
I found this on a website I was reading. I currently mix dry and wet food, am I harming my dog by doing this?

"Although the cooking process kills bacteria in the ingredients, the final product can pick up more bacteria during the subsequent drying, coating, and packaging process. Some experts warn that getting dry food wet can allow the bacteria on the surface to multiply and make pets sick. Do not mix dry food with water, milk, canned food, or other liquids."
What is true is that there is bacteria on kibble and it gets there by the means mentioned. This bacteria often included salmonella. What isn't true is that it is a problem. Bacteria injested through the mouth is not a problem to dogs. My dogs have eaten road kill squrrels and dead rabbits found in the pasture both of which have been dead for days and I have fed them meats that were very "ripe" and very smelly with no ill effects. Dogs have very acidic stomach juices that kill bacteria pretty quickly. Sooooo bacteria injested through the mouth is pretty much harmless to them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
The only time that would be an issue is if you let the food sit around for any length of time. To wet the food or add canned to it is not going to be a problem if the food is consumed in a short period of time. If there is any leftover food after the dog is finished eating, you should throw it away.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top