Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for being such a worrier and asking silly questions but,
Ever since i got Romeo this past Saturday, I have been feeding him 3lbs of chicken backs spit over 2 meals daily. He is always enthusiastic about his meals. he ate the smaller meal this morning but when i got home this evening he only ate 2 chicken backs and that was with much coaxing and coddling that he ate those, he is still going to the bathroom normally with no signs of constipation or loose stools. its just that he didnt seem to relish his dinner as he has in the past all he wanted to do was play. Is it possible he is tiring of the food or maybe he just "didnt feeling like eating" tonight?
Again thanks for putting up with all my questions

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
he ate the smaller meal this morning but when i got home this evening he only ate 2 chicken backs and that was with much coaxing and coddling that he ate those,
Under no circumstances should you coddle, cajole, beg or otherwise encourage your dog to eat. This quickly creates picky eaters. Put his food down and he will eat what he wants. If he doesn't touch it after 10 minutes, put it up and serve it again next meal time. Not an hour later, not a few hours later ... next meal time with no between meal snacks or treats.

its just that he didnt seem to relish his dinner as he has in the past all he wanted to do was play.
He's a puppy. Puppies play. Sometimes puppies had rather play than eat. As soon as he figures out that it is either play OR eat, he will choose eat. :smile:

Is it possible he is tiring of the food or maybe he just "didnt feeling like eating" tonight?
I think he had just rather play and didn't understand that if he didn't eat, he wouldn't get any food until next meal time. Missing a meal occasionally isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Just offer the pup food and walk away. If he chooses not to eat it's no biggie. Just offer it next mealtime and I'm sure he'll eat it happily. Sometimes they just don't feel like eating which is normal. Now if he starts refusing to eat several meals in a row and starts to act other than normal, then it's time to worry.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts