Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. Is this normal behavior????? I have two dogs; one a standard labradoodle and one a mini labradoodle. I feed them at the same time and my mini won't eat until the standard has finished and then she'll lick her bowl. Is this normal? Like pack behavior???

And, then, if I'm lucky she'll eat her own food w/lots of coaxing. Is this normal???? It's like pulling teeth lately to get the mini to eat and I get worried about her because she is skinny and if she doesn't eat she'll vomit in the mornings. (Here's some background: She has been on Innova Evo for about 3-4 wks now and doesn't rush over to eat. I switched her from her old food (she was on that a year) because of this same problem. I will sometimes give it to her dry or put water in it and I have even put peanut butter in it (she loves p'nut butter). So this is two questions. I don't know how to find a food she'll eat all by herself. (FYI... For those of you who will say raw -- I'm not ready to go raw yet.)

Any input would be greatly appreciated!:biggrin:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Maybe feed them in separate rooms so that the mini isn't distracted by the other one eating. Or, switch bowls, put the mini's food in the other dog's bowl and vice versa, maybe that'd help. Or give the mini 15 minutes to eat with no coaxing or anything and if she doesn't eat, put the food back in the bag and wait till dinner to offer it to her again doing the same thing.

OR go to the store you get your dog food from and see if they have samples of other foods to try and see if she'll like it.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Is this normal? Like pack behavior???
It's anyones guess as to why certain dogs do what they do. Both my dogs will do something similar. On the occasions I feed out of a bowl, they will each eat their meal then go lick the bowl of the other dog. If I feed them without bowls (the most common way), they will each go lick the floor where the other ate. In their mind are they cleaning up? Are they stealing the other's food? I don't know. I do know what you are describing is not a problem to spend time worrying about.

And, then, if I'm lucky she'll eat her own food w/lots of coaxing. ...
It's like pulling teeth lately to get the mini to eat and I get worried about her because she is skinny and if she doesn't eat she'll vomit in the mornings. ...
I will sometimes give it to her dry or put water in it and I have even put peanut butter in it (she loves p'nut butter).
This problem is not real uncommon. The dog is playing you. She loves the attention she is getting and she loves you dressing up her food to make it better. Picky eaters are made, not borh. You have made a great picky eater.

I don't know how to find a food she'll eat all by herself.
See how she is playing you. She is a wonderful trainer and she has you trained to the point you will go out and buy more food hoping she approves of the new food. Don't go out and try to find a food she will eat all by herself.

How to fix the problem? Stand up and take responsibility for your dogs diet. YOU decide what she eats and when. It is your choice, not hers. Don't put up with her foolishness another minute.

Put her food down and stand back and get out of the way. Don't say anything to her. Don't cajole, beg, ask, yell, plead or any of the other things you normally do. Don't hover over her. Don't dress up the food. Put it down dry unless YOU prefer to feed her wet. Give her 10 minutes to eat. If she is not eating in 10 minutes, pick up the food and put it back in the bag.

Don't give her any between meal snacks or treats. Next meal time but the bowl of food back down. If she still refuses to eat, put it back in the bag. No treats or snacks until next meal time where you will repeat the process all over again.

Don't worry about her being skinny. Don't worry about bile vomit. Don't worry about starving the dog. You aren't starving her. You are offering her food at each meal time. She is making the decision whether or not to eat. No healthy dog will starve to death in the presence of food.

SHe probably won't miss more than one or two meals. If she is particularly stubborn, she might not eat for 4 or 5 days. Don't let this bother you. You must be stronger and smarter than she is or she will run your life for as long as she lives with you. She knows your buttons and she knows how to control you. Don't let her get away with it. YOu have to stand up and take your responsibility of feeding the dog properly.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This problem is not real uncommon. The dog is playing you. She loves the attention she is getting and she loves you dressing up her food to make it better. Picky eaters are made, not borh. You have made a great picky eater.
Wow. Didn't I though!!!!

See how she is playing you. She is a wonderful trainer and she has you trained to the point you will go out and buy more food hoping she approves of the new food. Don't go out and try to find a food she will eat all by herself.

How to fix the problem? Stand up and take responsibility for your dogs diet. YOU decide what she eats and when. It is your choice, not hers. Don't put up with her foolishness another minute.

Put her food down and stand back and get out of the way. Don't say anything to her. Don't cajole, beg, ask, yell, plead or any of the other things you normally do. Don't hover over her. Don't dress up the food. Put it down dry unless YOU prefer to feed her wet. Give her 10 minutes to eat. If she is not eating in 10 minutes, pick up the food and put it back in the bag.

Don't give her any between meal snacks or treats. Next meal time but the bowl of food back down. If she still refuses to eat, put it back in the bag. No treats or snacks until next meal time where you will repeat the process all over again.

Don't worry about her being skinny. Don't worry about bile vomit. Don't worry about starving the dog. You aren't starving her. You are offering her food at each meal time. She is making the decision whether or not to eat. No healthy dog will starve to death in the presence of food.

SHe probably won't miss more than one or two meals. If she is particularly stubborn, she might not eat for 4 or 5 days. Don't let this bother you. You must be stronger and smarter than she is or she will run your life for as long as she lives with you. She knows your buttons and she knows how to control you. Don't let her get away with it. YOu have to stand up and take your responsibility of feeding the dog properly.
Starting w/the evening meal I will try this approach. It was the bile vomiting in the morning that did concern me. My common sense says she'll be ok for a while w/out food. Like you said, I believe she'll eat when she's hungry.

Rannmiller: I still have packages from the dog food store to try and I've had them for awhile. I knew she was a picky eater and didn't want to encourage her more by giving her a new sample everyday because she'll eat them cuz they're new but in the long run she will stop eating them. (Sorry for the run on sentence... hope I'm making sense here.)

I have tried feeding her in a separate room but she runs back to the kitchen to see what the "big" dog is doing. However, I will definitely remove the food after a little while and wait until the next meal.

Thanks to both you and Rawfeddogs for these suggestions. I will incorporate them into our day. :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I have tried feeding her in a separate room but she runs back to the kitchen to see what the "big" dog is doing. However, I will definitely remove the food after a little while and wait until the next meal. /QUOTE]

Funny how a door will stop that behavior *smiles*

I'd try the no-nonsense approach that RFD and I stated first though: no more than 10 minutes to eat, if she doesn't, too bad!

I see people who's kids train them like this too. I have to tell people: you wouldn't douse your kid's veggies in chocolate if they refused to eat them otherwise would you? You wouldn't give your kid a slice of cake if they refused to eat their dinner first, would you?

Not that dogs are kids, but the same concept applies IMO

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny how a door will stop that behavior *smiles*

DUH! I tell you my brain cells sometimes just zip away... (ha, ha)

I'd try the no-nonsense approach that RFD and I stated first though: no more than 10 minutes to eat, if she doesn't, too bad!

I see people who's kids train them like this too. I have to tell people: you wouldn't douse your kid's veggies in chocolate if they refused to eat them otherwise would you? You wouldn't give your kid a slice of cake if they refused to eat their dinner first, would you?

Not that dogs are kids, but the same concept applies IMO
I will do the 10-minute thing for sure. And, have to agree w/you about the kids thing, too although we both know kids are not dogs.:smile:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts