Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... for dogs to poop WAY less when eating raw food?

I assume so, but my husband's worried about Finnegan. When we fed him kibble/canned/homemade cooked, he pooped in copious amounts just about every time we took him out. Now, he goes maybe twice or even once a day and hardly any at all. Mike insists he's constipated, but he's not trying to go and can't, so I think it's just his body getting used to the raw and absorbing more of the nutrients, therefore creating less waste. My husband, on the other hand, insists he's not trying to go because he's got a "bone stuck up his @ss." :wink:

So ... can someone shed some light and/or ease my mind? I'd really appreciate it. In case it matters, these days he's eating chicken quarters, breasts, feet, turkey thighs, wings, necks, ground beef, pork (boneless, so far), with beef ribs and knuckle bones as the occasional treat.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Funny, I had exactly the same whinging from 'my lord' here. He kept insisting the dog was constipated, that it wasn't normal, to "wait, wait, don't rush her, she's not finished yet". That was a year or so ago and it is still the same today and the dog is as good as gold. I think you have found one of the other pluses of raw feeding.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
It is 100% normal. What you're witnessing is one of the many perks to raw feeding... the poop patrol!
Stools will be much smaller and compact than on kibble. The reason being, the food you're feeding is much more "usable" to your dog, and therefore produces much less waste.

Just wait, and a couple days, it will turn white, crumble to dust, and you'll nevr know it was even there in the first place. :biggrin:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, good to know - thanks so much.

He didn't poop this morning, so I got a little worried. We've been feeding raw for a couple months now and he's been pooping less and less during that time; like I said, I had assumed because his body is using more of his food. Mike, on the other hand, insists he's getting more and more 'backed up' thanks to the raw food.

Men. :redface:

·
Registered
820 Posts
The way I understand kibble, at least half of it is filler that is no use to the dog but makes us the owner feel that we are feeding our dogs a good amount of food instead of a supplement pill!!

And that filler has to come out the other end. Normally as a smelly squishy mess of starch :)

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
my older girl, malia (10.5 years old) used to have stools that were fairly large, not very solid and it seemed like she pooped five times a day.

now, she poops maybe once or twice....if they are loose, it's only because she needs some bone....or she's had too much fat in too many days....but that's the only reason....

bubba sometimes goes a day without pooping.....

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Just to add:
The size of the stools will not indicate if a dog is "backed up" or not.

Unless your dog is straining to poop while nothing is coming out, or seems to be in pain passing stools, don't worry about a thing.
Sometimes feeding too much bone and not enough meat can cause stools to dry out and can be a bit more difficult to pass, but you'll know if that's the case right away because the stools will be white and crumbly as they come. Should you ever see this, generally a bone free or low bone content meal is all it takes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to add:
The size of the stools will not indicate if a dog is "backed up" or not.
Lol, I know. You should come tell my husband that for me, though.

Sometimes feeding too much bone and not enough meat can cause stools to dry out and can be a bit more difficult to pass, but you'll know if that's the case right away because the stools will be white and crumbly as they come. Should you ever see this, generally a bone free or low bone content meal is all it takes.
Thanks! I have had this happen on occasion, and in that case I just feed a ground meat meal without bone and it seems to remedy the problem right away.

Thanks again everyone!

One question, kind of off topic - is there a reason to provide a calcium supplement with meals that don't include bone?

·
Registered
216 Posts
... for dogs to poop WAY less when eating raw food?

Now, he goes maybe twice or even once a day and hardly any at all.
That's what happened when Tiki went to raw. I love it! On the days she only pooped once I had some nagging concerns, even though I knew it was normal and totally healthy. I guess it's just hard to see that drastic of a change and not think something is wrong.

Yay for less poop to pick up! :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Lol, I know. You should come tell my husband that for me, though.

Thanks! I have had this happen on occasion, and in that case I just feed a ground meat meal without bone and it seems to remedy the problem right away.

Thanks again everyone!

One question, kind of off topic - is there a reason to provide a calcium supplement with meals that don't include bone?
Nope.
balance over time is key, so as long as you're feeding some bone inclusive meals, some boneless meals are just fine, no need to supplement or try to make each individual meal balanced. :smile:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope.
balance over time is key, so as long as you're feeding some bone inclusive meals, some boneless meals are just fine, no need to supplement or try to make each individual meal balanced. :smile:
Thanks so much!

I was thinking of feeding him a ground meat meal in the morning and a bone meal in the evening as a regular routine. Do you think that would work or if not what I should do instead?

He generally gets something like one chicken breast or quarter two times per day (he's 10 months old at the moment with an adult weight probably ending around 80-90 lbs.) but he's getting a little tired of the poultry, so I thought I'd mix it up and do ground lamb, buffalo, pork or beef for one meal and a chicken breast/quarter or something like a turkey wing for the other meal. Would that be acceptable or should I stick with two "bone" meals a day with a few boneless here and there?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
he's ten months old....seems he should be able to handle real meat..and lamb/pork/etc....introduced one at a time, of course....

ground anything doesn't give him a chance to really work his jaws and neck muscles...doesn't challenge him in any way....

maybe a nice slab of pork ribs when you need to feed a boney meal? otherwise, thick slabs of beef or pork or lamb...so he needs to work at it....not just inhale....much better for his teeth that way.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He can handle "real meat." He's had lamb, pork, beef, buffalo, etc., without any problem. I have an issue finding a steady supply of any of those that includes a decent meat:bone ratio. Most are more bone than meat and that's not what I want to feed regularly.

Which is why I asked if it would be alright to feed one meal of ground meat and one RMB (more likely than not to be a chicken quarter, breast, turkey wing, etc.) per day, since he gets two meals.

He doesn't just inhale. He's a very thorough chewer. But I don't want to feed too much bone.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
If I understand correctly, you want to feed bone-in meal once a day and a boneless meal once a day. For the boneless meal, you want to feed ground meat. Is that right?

If ground meat is the only boneless meat you can get your hands on, than I don't see a problem with this. You will be feeding a bone-in meal every day too, so you should see some dental benefits.

However, if you can get boneless meats that are NOT ground, that would be ideal. Ground meats can harbor more bacteria then whole boneless meat.

Some whole boneless meat that I use is pork shoulder, beef brisket, turkey, and elk heart.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry, no ground meat isn't all I can get my hands on and that's not all I meant I'd be feeding him. He loves pork shoulder and beef brisket. I do occassionally feed ground meat, though, but it isn't the norm. Sorry, I am not such a great communicator sometimes. :rolleyes:

My question, and I think you answered it, is whether or not one boneless meal and one bone-in meal per day would be satisfactory.

And dental benefits, you're telling me! His teeth are pearly white and he gets compliments all the time. We know other dogs around his age that have teeth that are already starting to develop tartar but no one will listen when I suggest feeding raw meat with bones to help with that. Oh well.

Thanks again, and sorry!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Ohhhh!! I see! Yes, it is actually recommended that you feed boneless meals. Not every meal should have bone in it. Most of your dog's diet should be muscle meat. If you feed nothing but chicken quarters (or a meat:bone equivalent) you'd be feeding too much bone.

I would guestimate that a little less than half my meals contain bone.

Hopefully that answers your question. :smile:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts