Dog Food Chat banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Eye goo can be normal for the initial switch because of detox or just the simple switch of food.

What exactly are you feeding and what kind of dog do you have?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Eye goo can be normal for the initial switch because of detox or just the simple switch of food.

What exactly are you feeding and what kind of dog do you have?
Hi, thanks for the answer, im from lima Peru, ( sorry for my english) here I dont have anybody to talk about raw feeding. My dog is a GSP german shorthaired pointer of 12 years old, female. I start with chicken and its the second time im trying to make the switch ( shes active, the digestion is great no vomits, the blood pressure and kidneys are great) but she gets cold everytime. The eye goop, sneeze, can be normal but shes agitated only when shes lay down (sounds wear, the chest, throat and nose) like bronchial asthma. Last night i was really worried but i found ECHINACEA and it help her a lot, now she breathing better like normal. She had 2 x rays 3 moths ago and she had few mucus in her lungs but she was ok, the breathing was normal. Im paranoid i lost my other dog of 9 1/2 years old ( the daughter) from lung cancer in june......... thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How long has she had raw food before going back to kibble because of the cough?
Hi, 3 weeks ago I start with chicken only for one day( two meals) and she was agitated then I have to going back to kibble and now I make the switch only one meal and she has the same reaction. She doesnt have cough is only the breathing (agitated) when shes lay down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hmmmm.....maybe its the raw food that irritates her throat.
Hi, The irritation could be from the bones. Im going to tray only chiken meat without bones. Shes much better now, the wear sounds are gone, ECHINACEA is great. Do you know how long can I use it ?. (dosage). Now I give her 500mg three times a day, Is it to much?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I would not feed boneless chicken as it'll cause loose stools.

Try smashing the whole bone in chicken parts up with a hammer or kitchen mallet until its a mushy mess that's still one piece.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What about grass eating? I grew up in the sticks where everyone said if a dog eats grass it's because he has worms. I'm 99% sure my puppy doesn't have worms but he seems to eat grass more now than before raw. Is there something I should be supplementing?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
My dog eats grass any chance he can, he loves it and no he doesn't have worms. Mind you he did when he was eating kibble when we first got him too. I think some dogs just like it but yes may be they are missing something from their diet or may be it helps to metabolise their food, I've never heard a sensible reason yet as to why some dogs do from raw feeders/vets/non raw feeders, either way it doesn't worry me in the least.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a question, as I've been dealing with skeptics about the PMR diet and their concerns about whether or not there's scientific studies to back up PMR. I'm not even sure how to respond to it, since I'm a raw newb. I know vets take issue with it, I'm guessing mostly because it cuts into their profits :p Have many of you been doing this a long time?

I try to explain to them that eating meat is what dogs do and have done for many years, eating small animals in the wild and consuming essentially the whole animal, plus the fact that their stomachs are acidic enough to break down harmful bacteria, etc. how do you guys respond to the people who are afraid or skeptical of PMR?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same question from my dad about the whole thing.

I was wondering though. Jones is at the end of his second week on raw, and we have not had any hassles. Except maybe that he looks at me like "Where is the rest of it?" when he is finished eating. (I am feeding him according to his projected adult weight). My question is that every chance he gets he gulps down kibble from my parents dog. (I live in a flat on their property) I have asked my folks to try and help me with not letting my dog scavenge for food. Does anyone have any suggestions about training against scavenging.

I'm at the point of leashing him every time he is outside of my flat. but my flat is rather small, and my folks have a great big yard, and Jones and their dog get along really well.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
How old is Jones? I know that growing puppies need to eat more food but I'm not sure of the amounts though. There was a page on feeding puppies, not sure if it's still up though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Jones is almost 6 months old (dob 5/5/13) at 4 months old he weighed 17.5lbs, so by guesstimation he will be about 38lbs at full grown. I am feeding him 2.5% of that (0.9lbs per day)

I have not introduced his second protein source as yet. I have to wait till the end of the month for that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would love a how to post. I am not raw feeding at this time and would love to have some pointers on how to do it. We would like to start feeding our dog raw, and maybe eventually our cats too.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
If you look for Danemama's posts, she had a link at the bottom that you could click that took you to a sight that has info on starting a prey model raw diet.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts