Dog Food Chat banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Ground mixtures always has the chance that there is bacteria in there, how long has the ground been ground up? Do you grind your own food? If not, what exactly are you giving him? I highly doubt that there is anything wrong with your dog, just normal reguritation but if the food is anyway enhanced that could be the culprit.

Reactions: Scarlett_O'

·
Registered
20 Posts
It was pre ground from a butcher specifically for dogs although I stopped buying it and finished the stash that I had once I realized I could just throw chunks of meat at them.

I know I sound like a nut but I want to make sure I am not missing something basic but important. He will also throw up cooked food (people give the dogs table scraps) so no more of that either, just big whole chunks of meat and bone and organs.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Have you read all the guidelines, 80-10-10 along with fish for the omega 3's, giving a variety of meats from different animals and making sure they aren't enhanced (especially the chicken) feeding 1.5-2% of their body weight?

Reactions: Scarlett_O'

·
Registered
20 Posts
yes i follow the 80 10 10 guidelines. the only thing i give ground now are small frozen organ patties that i make myself (i mix fish oil and a multi vitamin with joint support into them)

he looks one hundred percent awesome i just want to make sure there wasn't an underlying issue.

thanks so much

·
Registered
21 Posts
PMR FAQ -- great read for a new person (me)

Is there an option to save things that we may want to refer to regularly (like this post)? Do we have a folder or anything? Thanks!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Body Condition and Health
Is it normal to see poor side effects of a raw diet?[/B]
Some people while in the transition phase will see things like increased dandruff, eye goop, slight hair loss, etc. These are generally indicators that the built up toxins and whatnot from a previously sub par diet are coming out. You may see a slight flare up in existing problems, and then they get much better.

I notice Raj has become much more itchy than his usual now that we are in our 4th week of a raw diet.
Could this be because of his mostly chicken diet? We are now up to feeding pork ribs as our 3rd protein.
Maybe I should begin adding organ meat? (I intend on beginning with chicken liver)

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Before starting organs it is suggested to intro beef or lamb because it is a richer red meat. Organs are super rich so need to be introd very slowly. Im just starting organs right now, and iv been told to start with dime sized amounts in the beginning with bone-in meals.

I dont know what the itchyness could be.. is it possible one of the proteins you are feeding could be enhanced with sodium?

In the beginning when I started raw, Ruby had a musky smell to her, but it went away after a week or so when he body ''detoxed'' from the kibble. She once accidently got into my cats food and she got that same musky smell for a few days, so Im guessing it was a kibble detox of some kind.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great Post

Hi. Just joined this forum. I just start feeding my Sheltie girls Primal and green tripe (about a month). Two of my older ones had been vomiting 1-2 times and they ate them all. Now I feel better after reading the FAQ. Thanks!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
What about mucous in poop?

I'm experimenting with raw, feeding occasional raw meals/snacks to my doxie - I would like to go totally raw eventually with him. He has had chicken wings/drummies in the past, and looooooves liver. He had his first beef short rib last night and this afternoon he had some pretty mucousy stool. We also went to the dog park yesterday, and I'm not sure if the mucous is from the raw or from something like giardia that he could have picked up from the park? Any insight would be helpful. He seems to feel fine except for the first time in his entire life he barked at the door to tell me he needed to go out RIGHT NOW. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I'm experimenting with raw, feeding occasional raw meals/snacks to my doxie - I would like to go totally raw eventually with him. He has had chicken wings/drummies in the past, and looooooves liver. He had his first beef short rib last night and this afternoon he had some pretty mucousy stool. We also went to the dog park yesterday, and I'm not sure if the mucous is from the raw or from something like giardia that he could have picked up from the park? Any insight would be helpful. He seems to feel fine except for the first time in his entire life he barked at the door to tell me he needed to go out RIGHT NOW. Thanks in advance!
Pretty sure it's from the beef short rib as beef is very rich and usually the last protein added, did he eat the bone? cause if he did he just irritated his intestinal lining.

·
Registered
38 Posts
He chewed up part of the bone but it seemed a little hard for him so I ended up taking it away once all the meat was gone. My other dog had the same thing (granted he's a 50lb mix, and 1 rib was nothing to him) and had absolutely no upset from it. Good to hear it was probably just the beef, I gave him some probiotics anyway to help ease his tummy. We'll probably stick with chicken from now on! I did buy some pork necks at the grocery store yesterday - are those as rich or should I hold off on feeding those too?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
He chewed up part of the bone but it seemed a little hard for him so I ended up taking it away once all the meat was gone. My other dog had the same thing (granted he's a 50lb mix, and 1 rib was nothing to him) and had absolutely no upset from it. Good to hear it was probably just the beef, I gave him some probiotics anyway to help ease his tummy. We'll probably stick with chicken from now on! I did buy some pork necks at the grocery store yesterday - are those as rich or should I hold off on feeding those too?

Pork necks bought from the grocery store are cut with a saw and the odd shape of the bone can be hard on the intestinal lining...Avoid any bone that is cut with a saw to be on the safe side or just do an "Advanced search" on the type of bone your looking at, there is a wealth of info from the archives.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Pork necks bought from the grocery store are cut with a saw and the odd shape of the bone can be hard on the intestinal lining...Avoid any bone that is cut with a saw to be on the safe side or just do an "Advanced search" on the type of bone your looking at, there is a wealth of info from the archives.
Thank you! I will read up some more on it before I decide...if anything I might just cut the meat away and feed it to them that way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, Im new in this. This is the second time im trying to make the switch, but my female German shorthaired pointer gets cold, eye goop, sneeze and agitated when shes lay down ( sounds wear). She has two x ray 3 months ago and was fine, its happen when i make the switch. IT S NORMAL????

21 - 40 of 58 Posts