Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I tried a can of Merrick with chicken thighs mixed in with kibble and initially my dog only smelled it and walk away. But he came back about 10 minutes later and ate all of it. So I got to thinking about the contents of Merrick. 8.00% protein, 5.00% fat, 1.40 fiber and 82.00% moisture. One can of this cost $1.89 for 13.2 ounces. That comes out to 0.143 cents an ounce, X 16 = 2.29lb. Now based on others on this forum, Merrick is a quality food but the canned meat contents is approximately 50%. So that brings the real price of feeding canned meat to $4.58 a pound.
After all, do dogs really need all those other ingrediants in canned dog food?
I was checking prices on chicken thighs and Top round London broil and I see both on sale for $1.49 a pound.
So now I will stick to adding some raw with kibble and adding a little bit of chicken or beef gravy and it still would be cheaper then Quality canned food.
"Opinions".

·
Registered
114 Posts
curious why not just go raw. I know some people mix without any obvious problem but I understand this can cause digestive problems. I pay less to fed my 2 100% raw than I did quality kibble.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
This is one reason I try to stick to 95% meat canned foods and get them on big sale by the case. Personally, I only tried Merrick once and it didn't agree with my dogs. It had too many ingredients.

Once we have used up all the cases we have, we are going to raw foods. But, right now we get our canned foods for about $1 per 13 oz can, sometimes less for 95% meat cans. The ingredients are usually chicken (or beef, pork, etc), broth or water, and that is about it. I use a lot of coupons and sales. Example:

Evangers Beef Dinner - INGREDIENTS: Beef, Water Sufficient For Processing

I have never had Rocky walk away from a can of any 95% meat food. He LOVES meat! HATES vegies!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You may be right. I have a 15 lb bag of Innova kibble and did not work out the numbers as to cost per pound and per feeding. I just wanted to point out to quality canned dog food feeders that they would be better off buying raw and adding it to some kibble unless its proven that feeding both can cause digestive problems. I respect the forums opinions and will place a lot of weight on their replys.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
You have to really wait and add the discount coupon codes with the full cases on sale and then stock up. Right now I have ten cases of food out in the garage and the UPS man HATES me!! But it is worth it when you catch the sales right and canned food keeps. Even when we go to raw food I plan on mixing it with the canned for awhile since it is 95% meat.

We are used to doing that for everything we buy whether it is online or at the store. We don't get anything until we max out our coupon codes, free shipping, extra value cards, and anything else we can squeak out. It used to be called frugal, now it's just called surviving :biggrin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts