Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm here to get some assistance, which I'll post in the correct place!

My name is Jessica, and I have an almost 2 year old Mastiff mix named Lucy that I adopted last July. She's the best thing in my world. I got her right before my boyfriend deployed to Iraq and I am so lucky that I got a sweet girl to keep me company while he was away. Once he came back, she was in love with him so it's all working out!

A number of weeks ago, she needed an XRay for a tail issue. The vet wanted to give her anti-inflamatory drugs to reduce the swelling (she plays hard, what can I say!), but did a blood test first.

Turns out my prescious Lulu Bean is in the very early stages of chronic renal failure. Her only off number is the CREAT, at about 2.0-2.1. All other numbers are fine. Her urine sample was not as 'clean' as they wanted with regards to her kidney function.

She is going to have to be on a lower protein diet, and I'm her for recommendations. I tend to shy away from overly commercial dog food with corn/wheat gluten.

She currently eats Cali Naturals Lamb and Rice and has done exceptionally well on it.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!
God Bless your boyfriend over in Iraq! Thank him from my family. We all know how hard this is and how wonderful these men and women are who are serving their country! Please do thank him from my family here.
Your dog seems like quiet the cutie! And I am sorry to hear of her condition.
I know your vet will recommend foods for her. You should also check
dogfoodanalysis.com great sight for foods.
Yes stick away from corn, wheat, soy and such foods bad for the pups!

Not only do you need a low in protein food ( which can lack taste since you get the taste from the protien) also you want a high quality premium food that has great nutriton. It should have low phosphrous levels also. Natural ingredients is something you really want to go with. No chemical preservatives which are toxins that are filtered through the liver and kidney and with your dogs condition you want to stick away from this because it puts an extra amount of strain on those internal areas. You will want calcium in the dogs diet which can be fortified with calcium tabs and also vitaminD these are all good for your dog. Also remember low protien treats and not too many!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts