1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
L

·
0 Posts
One of the dog parks in my area is sponsoring a series of dog and cat first aid seminars that have been very well attended.

I actually see some folks carrying along first aid kits when they bring their dog to the dog park. "Always be prepared" I guess.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
One thing she doesn't mention in the first tip about checking out your nearest Animal Emergency Hospital is that you should always call first before you head out the door. As someone who has worked at one and has visited them more times then I care to remember, I can tell you that they always keep their doors locked and you have to ring a bell to get in. If you haven't called ahead, they will question why you are there and you will waste precious time explaining what is wrong with your animal and proving you are really there for an emergency before wil they buzz you in.
At least this is true in the three states I have lived in. Too many vet clinics have been broken into to leave doors unlocked after dark. When I call ahead before a visit, someone is always waiting at the door for me and rushes me right in as soon as I arrive and announce my name.
Hope no one ever needs this information!!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
One thing she doesn't mention in the first tip about checking out your nearest Animal Emergency Hospital is that you should always call first before you head out the door. As someone who has worked at one and has visited them more times then I care to remember, I can tell you that they always keep their doors locked and you have to ring a bell to get in. If you haven't called ahead, they will question why you are there and you will waste precious time explaining what is wrong with your animal and proving you are really there for an emergency before wil they buzz you in.
At least this is true in the three states I have lived in. Too many vet clinics have been broken into to leave doors unlocked after dark. When I call ahead before a visit, someone is always waiting at the door for me and rushes me right in as soon as I arrive and announce my name.
Good idea! I will when the time comes.

·
Registered
523 Posts
One of the dog parks in my area is sponsoring a series of dog and cat first aid seminars that have been very well attended.

I actually see some folks carrying along first aid kits when they bring their dog to the dog park. "Always be prepared" I guess.
We have one in my area too but they want $99.00 for it. So, I passed on it. But, it's an excellent idea. Maybe some shelters/rescues may offer it for less and they could also get money for their shelters at the same time. Just a thought....

·
Registered
195 Posts
Very interesting article! Thanks for the info! Since I'm in the PHoenix area - I have to say that dogs should NEVER be left in a car, even with the windows cracked in the summer here, it is a deathtrap quickly.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a really useful piece of information! :) Thanks! I imagine, if you had time (which with some emergencies you don't) but if you called ahead and also explained what you were coming in for it might help them to be more prepared and ready to help your dogs problem faster...sometimes a few minutes can really make a huge difference in saving a dogs life.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts