Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Anybody else here Feed Innova EVO? It has got to be the best dog food I've found yet besides feeding RAW.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Yes, but the high protein content is not recommended for my girl and it gave my boy HORRIBLE diarrhea. It isn't good for all dogs, no different than any other food, one size doesn't fit all.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I tried my Lhasa on the Evo venison because she has severe allergies to anything except Venison. It gave her horrible diarrhea! My husband said they should have named it EVIL, and banned it from the house. I would like to try my puppy on it when he gets older. He eats Innova puppy food and it took him about 2 weeks to get used to eating that. We had to mix pumpkin with it for the first week as we transitioned him to it from the Science diet the rescue group had him on. He will still get a bit of diarhea and gas on the Innova if I feed him too much so I'm concerned how the Evo will affect him.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Many people try to feed EVO like it's just another kibble and it's not. It's very high protein, high fat, almost all meat, high calorie, very low carbohydrate, grainless kibble. You don't feed it like a high carb, low protein, low fat, grain based cereal.

You dog needs much less EVO than other kibbles. If you MUST feed your dog kibble, there is no better for ANY dog. You just have to feed it different.

EVO is touted and "next best thing to a raw diet". Why feed the next best thing when you can feed the best thing? :smile:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Many people try to feed EVO like it's just another kibble and it's not. It's very high protein, high fat, almost all meat, high calorie, very low carbohydrate, grainless kibble. You don't feed it like a high carb, low protein, low fat, grain based cereal.

You dog needs much less EVO than other kibbles. If you MUST feed your dog kibble, there is no better for ANY dog. You just have to feed it different.

EVO is touted and "next best thing to a raw diet". Why feed the next best thing when you can feed the best thing? :smile:
This is not true for all dogs. There is no one hard and fast rule for all dogs. Anyone that has dogs with medical problems should consult a nutritionist and make sure to have blood work done and be very careful with high protein kibbles.

·
Registered
333 Posts
i've heard the same regarding EVO. I had a nice chat with a raw feeding man at the local feed store and he had tried EVO and apparently it did not do well for his dogs, we eventually went to raw and he said his dogs had trouble at first (of course) but now they are perfect.

EVO seems to have negative reactions to a lot of dogs...id be sure before you try it.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
we eventually went to raw and he said his dogs had trouble at first (of course) but now they are perfect.
Just for the record, raw does not always mean it will cause trouble for your dogs to switch them over. My dogs haven't ever had any trouble with raw, no explosive diarrhea, vomiting, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I fed my dog one of the sample packs from the store and he did just fine with it (DRY "ancestral diet") he's a 8# Chihuahua I'm gonna keep him on the regular Innova with a mix of canned/dry he seems to like that food a lot.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
This is not true for all dogs. There is no one hard and fast rule for all dogs. Anyone that has dogs with medical problems should consult a nutritionist and make sure to have blood work done and be very careful with high protein kibbles.
The problem with protein in most kibble is that it's a mostly plant based protein and too much of it can cause problems in dogs. Animal based proteins never cause a problem unless too much is fed in a meal. Dogs were designed to digest animal based protein and do it very well.

The problem with most canine nutritionists is that they know and understand what they work with mostly, which is regular kibble with its plant based protien. Many of them don't understand the difference.

EVO is fine to feed any dog. By far the greatest percentage of protein in EVO is meat based. The only dogs I know of that have problems with EVO are dogs who are fed the same amount of EVO as they were fed regular kibble. Feed half the amount of EVO and it will all work out.

Don't forget, EVO is "NEXT best thing .... " :smile:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I feed EVO to my 60 lbs. lab/pointer mix and he gobbles it up. He's had no problems at all even when first switched. The quantity of his poop is less and way more solid than when he was eating Science Diet which the shelter that I adopted him from was feeding him (it was yellow and very soft).

·
Registered
257 Posts
i had my American Pit Bull Terrier on nutro as a puppy and he did HORRIBLE so i switched him at 5 months old to blue wilderness and had no problems then oe day i got a sample of evo and Peanut LOVES it he gets excited when he gets it so i am thinking of feeding him evo exclusivly. i didnt have any trouble with the change at all. in fact, i seen so many improvements in my boy that i would never give my dog now or future dogs low protein grain filled diet. other then Evo i would feed raw once i felt comfortable that i could provide a complete balanced meal until then i will feed the next best thing to raw...evo :)

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I've gone through the continual diarrhea "circle of life", with my bull terriers trying to find the right ratios of protein etc. Finally, Innova was the dry kibble that they were able to eat without too much problems, but the specialty food store did try to get me to feed them EVO, my dogs wouldn't touch it. Sooooooooo, different tastes for different dogs.
I have to say they seem to be completely diarrhea free, and love to eat now that they are being fed raw.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Good thing you learned quickly that Nutro was no good for your pup! Sounds like your food choices just keep getting better. If you're really interested in feeding raw and you have any questions, you can always check out the raw section and/or read link in the signature on Rawfeddogs' posts. He has a great website on how to make switching to and feeding raw very simple: http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

·
Banned
620 Posts
I don't see how EVO is anything close to a carnivore type feed, and I really don't how it could be the next best thing to feeding raw. A lot of marketing in there. Looking at the ingredient list, I see plenty what I would consider non-species appropriate IMO. Another point, I think by going grain free you would hope to escape fiber, but you notice the fiber from grain replaced with the fiber from plant matter. That would be another red flag IMO in regards to the carnivore theme. I have no doubts that those who use it maybe very pleased with the results, I simply question the carnivore approach to some of the ingredients and how it can possible be anything close to feeding raw. Then again, there are plenty of these modern raw commercial diets offering plant matter and vegetables as well. My conclusion would be it falls short of being carnivore but rather omnivore style feeding, and IMO clearly falls short of and not even close to being in the same league as raw.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I recently transitioned over to EVO about 3 wks ago. I've also recently lowered the amount they are eating. My large dog is having more problems w/her stool than my small dog. The stool starts out soft solid than becomes diarhea. I'm going to keep on it for a couple more weeks and then I'm going to have to switch to something not as high protein if the soft stool continues. They were eating a Salmon, Sweet Potato kibble before this and had no problems as I had to switch them to that to stop their soft stools prior to the salmon. Anyone, have any suggestions with something not as high protetin based? Thx.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I recently transitioned over to EVO about 3 wks ago. I've also recently lowered the amount they are eating. My large dog is having more problems w/her stool than my small dog. The stool starts out soft solid than becomes diarhea. I'm going to keep on it for a couple more weeks and then I'm going to have to switch to something not as high protein if the soft stool continues. They were eating a Salmon, Sweet Potato kibble before this and had no problems as I had to switch them to that to stop their soft stools prior to the salmon. Anyone, have any suggestions with something not as high protetin based? Thx.
Just wondering why you think it is the high protein that is causing the soft stools?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just wondering why you think it is the high protein that is causing the soft stools?
Not sure. I'm new at the nutrition thing and just based on my readings here it seems IMO that when a dog is fed more protein they may not be able to digest it as well and my large dog is prone to loose stools. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong. I'm trying to feed based on what I learn but I want to learn it right. Thx.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I don't see how EVO is anything close to a carnivore type feed, and I really don't how it could be the next best thing to feeding raw. A lot of marketing in there. Looking at the ingredient list, I see plenty what I would consider non-species appropriate IMO.
If I HAD to feed kibble, EVO or Orijen would be what I would feed. They are not exactly a carnivore diet but they are much closer than any other kibble I've found. Much more meat and much less carbs then any of the other brands. It's difficult to know that just by looking at the ingredient list because they don't list the amount of inappropriate ingredients but if you look at the nutrient list it will become more evident that these 2 kibbles have much more meat and less carbs.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts