Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every one. Im new to threads so sorry if this has been dissusced or is in wrong place. Im getting an American Black And Tan in a month. I really want to get him Evo for his food. I have done some reading and many people are concerned about the protien and fat content. Apparently its linked to problems with the growth and development. On the other side of the debait i have read that its only a concern if you feed to much food to your pup. Since the food is rich you feed them much less than a usual kibble. If you feed them properly and exersice them they should be ok. So my concern is that will it hurt my puppy. I just want whats best for the little guy. Money is not a worry ill pay for quality. The bag says its ok for all ages from puppy to adult. Thanks again guys hope some one can help.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
do not feed evo to aa puppy. i dont really know too much why,but i think its one of the worst foods to give to a puppy. id say give orijen large breed pup..or orijen adult red meat..but i could be wrong

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx

I have herd the same thing. some say yes some say no. i hear if u feed them the right about and exersise them good they will be super health because its the closest thing to raw. i just dont want to hurt him and the evo is easy for me to get. just scared to cause him any harm .

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi every one. Im new to threads so sorry if this has been dissusced or is in wrong place. Im getting an American Black And Tan in a month. I really want to get him Evo for his food. I have done some reading and many people are concerned about the protien and fat content. Apparently its linked to problems with the growth and development. On the other side of the debait i have read that its only a concern if you feed to much food to your pup. Since the food is rich you feed them much less than a usual kibble. If you feed them properly and exersice them they should be ok. So my concern is that will it hurt my puppy. I just want whats best for the little guy. Money is not a worry ill pay for quality. The bag says its ok for all ages from puppy to adult. Thanks again guys hope some one can help.
If I had known about EVO back when we first got our puppy, I *definitely* would have transitioned him to it from what the breeder had us use. As it was we switched him to EVO Turkey & Chicken when he was about 2 years old. Good coat & weight, lots of energy, small "output". Win-win all 'round! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
It is not the protein or fat content of dog food that is a problem for puppies. It is the calcium/phosphorus ratio that one should concern themselves with.

Evo's cal/ph ratio is not good for a large breed puppy (not sure about smaller breeds).

I would start on Orijen Large Breed Puppy. I know that a few people actually continue to feed this to their adult dogs because the formula is almost exactly the same as their adult food, but it seems to taste better. :wink:

Orijen is sometimes hard to find, but you could order it online.

If your dead set on Evo, I would definitely wait until your puppy is full grown.

Welcome to the boards!
Richelle

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sub makes it seem like its a great idea and they wish they started on it. if i was to use it and feed the pup properly and exersize would i have problems over all. or should he be health and happy

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I would not give Evo to a puppy. Especially a large or medium breed. You want their growth to be slow and controlled. You would likely get rapid growth from Evo because the cal/pho levels are not at what they should be to control it.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Like Ania's Mommy said you need to be careful of the calcium/phosphorus levels. If these levels are too high, your pup risks the chance of growing too fast and developing bone problems. Am I right that when you say your getting an American Black and Tan your talking about a coon hound...right? Are they a large breed dog?

I would recommend feeding Orijen Large Breed Puppy as their calcium and phosphorus levels are safe for a growing pup.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have herd about the calcium as well. not to seem rude cuz i just started learning all this but if thats true than y does the bag say its ok for all ages.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I also want to mention that exercise would do nothing to combat the cal/phos levels. So even if you fed a LBP Evo and exercised it regularly, its BONES would still grow too fast for it.

People think that fast growth is a good thing, when in reality, slow and steady is always best. Bones that grew too much too fast are more prone to breakage and maybe even deformation.

Also, you want to be careful with exercising a puppy because its bones are still soft. I would stay away from any full-speed, long-distance running or jumping.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
i have herd about the calcium as well. not to seem rude cuz i just started learning all this but if thats true than y does the bag say its ok for all ages.
Marketing. The more they sell, the more money they get. Also, (and I'm not totally sure about this) but I think its probably ok to feed it to a small breed dog.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked Orijen Large Breed Puppy food. evoke only has .5 more calcium and like 0.2 more Phos. that little really hurts them good thing I asked

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Because in most cases it is okay. It's just not okay for a large breed puppy. Taste of the Wild is an all life stage kibble as well, so is Canidae, so are some of the Acana kibbles, but I would never feed it to my large breed puppy because the ca./phos. levels are just too high.

There have been studies done proving that too high calcium can cause huge problems for large breed puppies.

Here is a good read on the topic:
http://www.lgd.org/library/Optimal feeding of large breed puppies.pdf

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I checked Orijen Large Breed Puppy food. evoke only has .5 more calcium and like 0.2 more Phos. that little really hurts them good thing I asked
I guess I should have looked a little closer at the cal/phos levels. Thanks to everyone for reminding me about that, esp with larger breeds.

When I did a little more research I found that Natura doesn't recommend EVO for those very reason; they recommend Innova Large Breed Puppy.

This is why I love this forum! :smile:

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
So the Innova is a grain inclusive line and the Orijen is grainfree just for your info.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Rocky ate Innova Puppy food for his first 6 months before he went on Orijen Large Breed Puppy and he really liked the Innova puppy. He did well on it (he ended up being 75 pounds). I've had several friends on the Innova puppy who are still doing well on it. It would be a good choice if you can't get the Orijen Large Breed Puppy. We order our Orijen mail order so that is always an option.

I did put my son's chihuahua puppy on Evo at 8 weeks but she was 1 pound and only ended up at 4 pounds so the cal/phos ratios weren't an issue and the vet thought it was a good choice for her since she was hypoglycemic and needed several small meals a day.

·
Registered
995 Posts
If you look at the feeding guide on your EVO bag, you will see that the bottom corner is greyed out for pups weighing 20 lbs or more at 6-11 weeks, 30 lbs or more at 3-4 months, 40 lbs or more at 5-7 months, etc. Both Innova Large Breed Puppy and Orijen are great kibbles, but I would recommend Orijen over Innova because it is grain free. My dog was on Innova for about 5 months and did alright, but his coat and poop instantly improved when I switched over to Orijen.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
im going to use orijen puppy thanks alot every one your potential life savers thanks alot your the best

1 - 20 of 28 Posts