Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband is very worried about giving Khan bones because he inhales his food. He does not think it's a good idea to give him something that could possibly do more harm than good.
I have read the information regarding the Prey Model and understand and agree with the benefits...but I also see his point. This may be a crazy question but here goes.
If not Prey Model Diet, what would be the next best thing??

·
Registered
219 Posts
I see in another post that Khan is a bullmastiff puppy. What kind of bones are you giving him now that you are worried about?
If you want to feed raw and he hasn't learned how to chew yet, give him something he couldn't possibly swallow in one gulp- a whole chicken or cornish game hen if it has to be. He'll gnaw on it a while and then you can remove it and stick it back in the freezer or fridge until the next meal. I also buy racks of beef ribs at walmart, the ribs are between 5-8 inches long and about 7 of them are connected with meat. That may work too.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've not given him any bones. I was discussing switching him to a raw diet with my husband, and when I was explaining everything, he flipped out! he thought I was crazy to even think about giving him a raw piece of chicken bones and all. Now it could be that my husband has a huge problem with any food with bones. He does not eat anything that is served with a bone. ie, ribs, chicken wings, t-bone etc. Everything must be boneless once it hits his plate. Sorry, got a little off topic, back to Khan. He has only been fed kibble.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
To be blunt, your husband needs to get over his bone phobia. It is a natural part of a dogs life. They can't have a balanced diet without bone. They have been eating bones for millions of years. Their bodies are well equipped to handle them and they know how to eat them.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah you need to let your husband know that he isn't a dog and his dog isn't a human. Once he figures that out, perhaps it will all make a bit more sense to him. I think the one thing people freak out about the most with a raw diet is the bones though because they've been raised their whole lives that a bone will kill a dog as soon as look at them. Yet for some reason they are perfectly comfortable feeding rawhides and smoked knuckle bones, probably two of the most dangerous things you could give a dog to chew on.

If you give Khan a bone that is too big to swallow whole, then he'll have to chew it. Period, end of story. My lab/pit mix used to inhale her kibble in a matter of seconds. Switching her to raw has actually forced her to slow down and chew her food because she has no other choice in the matter. She still LOVES her food but she also loves to crunch her way through it. Raw bones are just not a problem for dogs, especially if you give them cuts of meat that are too large to swallow whole. That's the trick.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd be a good one for your husband to read about. I thought feeding raw was fookin' nutz. Years ago, I worked in a kennel that fed raw, but I was a young kid. I remember thinking at the time that it was mildly insane.

I have an 8 month puppy, and we started with high-end kibble. Poop issues galore. Then we were on the elite of the elite kibbles. Then we were on the $92/bag Rx kibble, and we still had poop problems. $45 fecal testings were becoming the norm. She was never "right."

The more research I did, the more I kept bumping into information on raw feeding. I met others locally who feed raw, and realized I always admired the look of their dogs. They had "something" that was a cut above in terms of coat, eye brightness, even alertness.

I quickly realized I had to get over MY human hang ups (which is what your husband is getting tripped up on), get educated, and do what's best for my dog. I know raw feeding is it.

Read Bill's Raw Feeding 101. Tons of raw feeding info at Leerburg. Your husband also has to realize that dogs don't eat like humans. The do not have digestive acids in their saliva. Digestion begins in the stomach. They crunch the bones enough to get them down, and so be it. You will read here that sometimes the dogs throw up a whole chicken part, re-chew it, and be done. It happens, and it's no big deal.

To care for children and animals, we have to get past ourselves to do what's best for another. I hope your husband takes the time to get educated and is willing to do that. If not, I think you're stuck.

PS--Her poop is now a thing of beauty day after day. I can hardly believe it. She is gaining weight--which she needed to--and is looking the best ever.

·
Banned
493 Posts
Yeah you need to let your husband know that he isn't a dog and his dog isn't a human. Once he figures that out, perhaps it will all make a bit more sense to him. I think the one thing people freak out about the most with a raw diet is the bones though because they've been raised their whole lives that a bone will kill a dog as soon as look at them. Yet for some reason they are perfectly comfortable feeding rawhides and smoked knuckle bones, probably two of the most dangerous things you could give a dog to chew on.

If you give Khan a bone that is too big to swallow whole, then he'll have to chew it. Period, end of story. My lab/pit mix used to inhale her kibble in a matter of seconds. Switching her to raw has actually forced her to slow down and chew her food because she has no other choice in the matter. She still LOVES her food but she also loves to crunch her way through it. Raw bones are just not a problem for dogs, especially if you give them cuts of meat that are too large to swallow whole. That's the trick.
Exactly. You just need to make sure that you give him a bone that is large enough that he cannot possibly inhale. Otherwise, the next best thing would be to purchase ground meat with ground bone in it, add some bone meal to ground meat, and or use some ground egg shells as the calcium source, although nothing is as good as whole bone itself.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Giving bons to a dog in natural and they love them but you shoul never give a dog chiken bones. Try to take a clamp and brake a chiken bone and you will see that it brakes in very small and sharp pieces that could do a lot of harm for dogs. the best bons are from beefs and dogs love them.
You coul see more here
Everything you need to know about dog feeding
Your post and your blog are laughable. I hope nobody actually follows your "advice". :eek:

·
Banned
493 Posts
Giving bons to a dog in natural and they love them but you shoul never give a dog chiken bones. Try to take a clamp and brake a chiken bone and you will see that it brakes in very small and sharp pieces that could do a lot of harm for dogs. the best bons are from beefs and dogs love them.
You coul see more here
Everything you need to know about dog feeding
Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a "Beef"?:biggrin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts