Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:mad:Okay, so Grissom's diarrhea is back with a vengence, and I'm so done with it. first and second blood panel and fecal are clear of all parasites, infections, or other abnormalities.
We're going raw, and it's going to be the most inconvenient thing of all time for me right now, as I am going to have to use the freezer at work to store his food, so even on my days off I get to come down here to feed Grissom, but if that's what it takes to rid him of this diarrhea, then so be it. It's not a very far drive, anyway.

With the limited space I have, he's not going to be getting a ton of variety, at least not for a while (6 more weeks) . Will chicken drumsticks do for the first week or two? I'd like to feed twice/day, He's 22lbs, other than a cannon butt, entirely healthy, and is actually at his ideal weight for his body structure. (he's on the more petite end of his breed, being agility stock, he's not as "stocky" as some corgis)
Well, if I'm going to do it for Griss, might as well get Annie (Boxer puppy) involved, too. Where do you recommend I start with her? Her ideal adult weight will be about 60lbs, looking at the parents. She's currently 12 weeks old, and roughly 13lbs, though she will be weighed tomorrow at the vet.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Poor Griss! I'm glad you found a way to make the raw work though! I would recommend starting with chicken leg quarters and cut them in half so a thigh in the morning, drumstick at night. That way you can still keep it cheaper and thighs have a lot of bone in them and weigh a little more than drumsticks so you'll be able to keep the weight on him pretty well. My 25 lbs corgi mix gets one chicken leg quarter/day and maintains beautifully on it.

For Annie, if you can find chicken backs, I'd recommend starting with those. But if you can't then probably wings or drumsticks would be fine to start her off on. Remember to keep both of them on just the chicken and nothing else for the first two weeks. That should help get Griss's poop nice and firm again and get Annie started off right. In fact, you could probably give Griss a full chicken wing (not the wingettes) with or instead of his drumstick meal every few days or so since wings have A LOT of bone in them. That should really help firm him up!

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
With the limited space I have, he's not going to be getting a ton of variety, at least not for a while (6 more weeks) .
Thats ok, you don't want a lot of variety the first several weeks anyway.

Will chicken drumsticks do for the first week or two?
I too, would do quarters. You can get them real cheap at Walmart in 10lb bags.

I'd like to feed twice/day, He's 22lbs, other than a cannon butt, entirely healthy, and is actually at his ideal weight for his body structure.
I always recommend twice a day in the beginning as you want to keep the meals realatively small for the first couple of months. After that, its not real important how often you feed.

Well, if I'm going to do it for Griss, might as well get Annie (Boxer puppy) involved, too. Where do you recommend I start with her? Her ideal adult weight will be about 60lbs, looking at the parents.
I would give her a drumstick or couple of wings 3 times a day in the beginning and see where they leads you. If you can't feed 3 times a day, do what you can do. If she starts looking thin, increase the amount. It's not difficult to find the right amount to feed pretty quickly.

Good luck. Don't worry about variety in the beginning. It's not that critical. It's much better to feed nothing but chicken for 6 weeks than to feed kibble.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I too, would do quarters. You can get them real cheap at Walmart in 10lb bags.
Great, I will get over there after work and get a bag for him. So just cut them in half and give one piece at each meal?
Since he's been having this diarrhea issue for quite a few months now, should I skip dinner tonight and start with the raw in the morning, or jump in tonight? He ate his California Natural kibble this morning.

I always recommend twice a day in the beginning as you want to keep the meals realatively small for the first couple of months. After that, its not real important how often you feed.
Good to know. I like to keep them on a 2x schedule, so if it's doable with raw, then fantastic. It keeps them out of my way in the morning, and then I give them dinner when I eat at night. Works for everyone involved. :)

I would give her a drumstick or couple of wings 3 times a day in the beginning and see where they leads you. If you can't feed 3 times a day, do what you can do. If she starts looking thin, increase the amount. It's not difficult to find the right amount to feed pretty quickly.
I feed her kibble three times a day, so I don't see why I wouldn't be able to fit raw 3x a day in. I just talked to Jon (fiance) and he said he doesn't want to start Annie yet. I'm disappointed, but understand. She goes back and forth between our houses all the time, and his apartment had five other roommates, zero freezer space, and is a 30 minute drive to my house and work. She isn't having issues with the Innova, and quite frankly, I just paid for 30lbs of it that I don't want to go to waste, so we decided to use this up and then go raw. I admit it, it's a convenience thing for now. :rolleyes:

We weren't going to go raw until we move in late December/ early January anyway, but Grissom is the primary concern at this point in the game, and we have tried everything else, it clearly can't wait. :frown:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, one more thing.
I want to make sure that my calculations are right.
Annie's ideal adult weight is roughly 60lbs. 2.5% of that would be 1.5lbs of food per day.
Grissom's ideal weight is 22lbs. 2.5% of that is .55lbs of food per day.

This is a total of 2.05lbs of meat per day to feed them both, which plays out to 61 lbs of meat per month to feed the two of them, correct??

I think it will be financially doable if these calculations are correct, so long as it's possible to keep the meat I buy at or below an average of $1.50/lb. Am I being realistic about that??

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Also, one more thing.
I want to make sure that my calculations are right.
Annie's ideal adult weight is roughly 60lbs. 2.5% of that would be 1.5lbs of food per day. Grissom's ideal weight is 22lbs. 2.5% of that is .55lbs of food per day.
You won't measure that close. You will know to feed half a quarter (or the equivelent size of something else) twice a day. Or whatever it works out to be. Don't worry about exact measurements. They are impossible on a prey model diet. Those you have are close enough to start with. Keep an eye on their build and adjust food up or down depending on whether they are loosing or gaining weight.

This is a total of 2.05lbs of meat per day to feed them both, which plays out to 61 lbs of meat per month to feed the two of them, correct??
Sounds close but when you make plans that close, they never work out. I don't have a clue how many pounds of meat a month I buy.

I think it will be financially doable if these calculations are correct, so long as it's possible to keep the meat I buy at or below an average of $1.50/lb. Am I being realistic about that??
I have good news for you. Check around and you should be able to find chicken quarters at aroun $.50 to $.60 cents/lb. That will be at least half the food you feed. Craigslist and freecycle are sources for free or very cheap meat so you have that going for you. Once you have fed raw for a whille and learn all the ropes of buying and can buy in bulk, you will probably feed for less than $1/lb. I think I figure up about 6 months ago that I pay close to $.73/lb for the meat I feed and that doesn't count free stuff. :smile:
You should be able to get chicken backs for around $.35/lb or so when you can buy in bulk. About 7 years ago, I got chicken frames for $.14/lb. I haven't fed them in a long time.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My boxer gets the runs on kibble but since I switched the dogs to RAW, she's pooped logs. :cool:

Hope Grissom feels better soon! :smile:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Just a thought for you to save a bit on driving to and from, even if your work is close...get a cooler. Store it outside, which I imagine its colder outside than it is inside if you're in Utah, unless if it is cooler inside vise versa. Keep a day or two worth of food in it so you don't have to go back and forth to get meals twice a day. If you put the food in frozen it will take a while (1-2 days) to thaw out. That is what we do when we go camping and it works great for the girls. We have actually use big rubbermaid containers to thaw everything we buy in bulk, since we have to thaw it out and portion it into containers of 2 days worth. Inside it takes a 40# case of chicken backs 2-3 days to thaw out.

Glad that you made the executive decision to switch, and I really hope it helps!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts