1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I do see some training there, but it's a little boring...

But, is she suppossed to jank on that halti that hard...? Isn't that bad for the neck...?

What happens in the very end...? The video kind of cuts off...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I only see negative reinforcement. No positive. I agree with RFD, this is a poor trainer.

Richelle

·
Registered
210 Posts
Is it training? Yes.

Is it a method that I would use? No. My dogs would shut down with so much negative. If I get even a little deterred, they pick up on it and feel like it is their fault and give up.

Based on the fact that I wouldn't consider the other two dog she is working with "trained" even though she apparently does goes to prove the effectiveness of her methods in the long run.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
If you watch the three dogs, there isn't a single one of them that appears happy, engaged, or even slightly interested in the training session. They all look resigned to the fact that they have to be there. Any training session I attend or have with my dogs has to be fun with lots of tail wagging and happy faces on the dogs and the owners. It's just so much easier to teach a dog when he is happy and eager to learn.

I just read thru her website and it's pretty funny. She uses all the buzz words from the "Dog Whisperer" tv show and even has a red pit bull that she named "Daddy" just like the one on the show! There must be a hundred references to "calm-assertive" behavior.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I was thinking about this some more and it brings up a reason why there are so many "bad" dog trainers.

In the horse back riding world, there are competitions that nearly every trainer either competes in or has students compete in. These trainers will constantly continue their education themselves by attending clinics under other top riders and trainers. They will also compete to show off their skills, their training and to get a feel of whether or not their training is up to industry standard. If their training is inadequate, their riders and mounts would be unsuccessfully prepared for the tests of the show ring.

There are similar "checkpoints" throughout the professional world. Engineers bring their products to trade shows to hopefully win awards. Scientists submit their papers to journals to be reviewed by other scientists. CPAs must have their clients' taxes auditted. Writers are able to win recognition and awards for their work. However, if any professional's work does not meet industry standard, they fail in one way or another.

For some reason, there is a surplus of dog trainers that feel that they don't need to meet a standard. This original trainer feels that for a dog to remain in a general area when commanded to "stay" is adequate while, for my dogs, a "wait" (my "stay" command) means to not move a foot and be ready for the next command. It is a different standard of training. Mine will (hopefully) meet "industry standards" in the obedience ring while hers would not for multiple reasons.

The dog trainer I use currently competes her own dogs in obedience, rally o, and agility along with attending seminars and clinics regularly to maintain and improve her level of training. I feel this is a critical trait for a dog or horse trainer. My horse trainer also competes frequently and, despite winning an Olympic silver medal in 2008, STILL gets regular lessons regardless of her accomplishments.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Haha I looked into them as a possibility as my new puppy but RFD pointed out how not good they look. After seeing that video, I'm really glad I had already decided not to go there! I'm gonna look into a place called Skye's dog training or something like that.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Man, I hate to say this but seeing that video makes me want to smack that woman! :eek:

Those leash yanks are totally uncalled for and violent. And as everyone mentioned, no positive reinforcement at all. Towards the end of the clip the first pit turns over on its back and is totally submissive but no acknowledgment or praise from the "trainer" for submitting. No praise for anything any of the dogs did right. Shameful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldn't be so biased here, but as I watched several of her other videos, it appears that all she does is yank, pop, and use the e-collar. While I'm not ultimately opposed to using different training tools (tools being the operative word here), it seems that this is only method/technique that she uses. What set me off was the severity in which she used them.

I've found that my dogs (past/present) and friends dogs learn differently and using the same method on different dogs doesn't always work for each dog's unique personality. I've found some dogs like to please people and some others like to please themselves (don't laugh)! I've also had success in tools like; little pops, clickers, and treats.

Anyway, my two cents worth to my original post :)

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Well thats no Gloria Stillwell!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
haha, I think you mean Victoria Stilwell, unless your talking about a different person? :biggrin:
Ha OMG you dont know how many times I talk about that show and for some reason she is Gloria, Victoria, Or I say you know the show with the one with the british accent the dog person UGH!~ wow I just choose a name and go with it haha! And yes I mix up my dogs names also!!!!!!! UGH! Thanks for the polite way of putting it haha! Yes this is who I was talking about! I love her show and if I cant watch it I tape it! UGH my memory Names UGH! I am bad at them!
But that did make me laugh when I saw what you wrote ! Yikes Ginkoba doesnt work haha! I'm proof!!!!!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Ha OMG you dont know how many times I talk about that show and for some reason she is Gloria, Victoria, Or I say you know the show with the one with the british accent the dog person UGH!~ wow I just choose a name and go with it haha! And yes I mix up my dogs names also!!!!!!! UGH! Thanks for the polite way of putting it haha! Yes this is who I was talking about! I love her show and if I cant watch it I tape it! UGH my memory Names UGH! I am bad at them!
But that did make me laugh when I saw what you wrote ! Yikes Ginkoba doesnt work haha! I'm proof!!!!!!:biggrin:
Yeah, I've seen her show. I don't watch it often, but I like her better than Cesar!!!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I like Victoria ( yeah got it right haha) the best out of the two also! But I do sometimes just to see the dogs watch cesar!

·
Registered
31 Posts
After watching the video and a couple more of hers.

First: I would NEVER train in a halti .. (I personally hate those things.) I dont like the fact that you can damage the neck and spine with them from all the yanking. Also to mention you start in one of them you will always train in one of them. And last they look like muzzles so why would you want your dog to look like it is a BAD dog.

Second: Her method of training has NO method. It is something she is comming up with as I have never seen it trained at a seminar or in all the training I have been trained in. It is a problem waiting to happen this is why I believe her video got cut. If you watch the very end it looks like a possible (I mean possible) dog fight or ruff play that she does not want you to see as having three dogs in an area could end in a fight due to ruff play.

Third: You NEVER stick three dogs in a room together w/o others being there to help in a situation. If they are there she should have had them shown just so you know NOT to do this alone. If you watch the dog (Ambull) it is a young dog that she is Forcing to do what she wants like the other two. It possibly has very minimum training done at this point so it does not understand to leave the other dog thru distractions. (hense GSD is a distraction)

Four: If you watch the rear of the GSD it has a slight limp in the rear as if it has been hurt or has HD ..

JMHO

·
Banned
493 Posts
I definantly agree 100% with you guys. This is very poor training. Violence and negativity is never the answer. I have found that the absolute most successful methods of training focus on positive reinforcement. Not only can negativity discourage the dog/make him perform worse, it can also harm the bond between dog and dog owner.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I definantly agree 100% with you guys. This is very poor training. Violence and negativity is never the answer. I have found that the absolute most successful methods of training focus on positive reinforcement. Not only can negativity discourage the dog/make him perform worse, it can also harm the bond between dog and dog owner.
You need to have both positive / negative reinforcement so you have balance .. Just like teaching anything ..

Its how to take the positive and the negative levels.
Meaning:
Pet Store Training = All positive and passive. No training involved for a good balanced trained dog.

Bad Trainers = Most do not educate themselves enough to learn that negative does not mean be abussive. So they take there training to demanding the dog to submit to them.

Proper use of Positive / Negative Reinforcement
Positive is a key in keeping the dog motivated in what you are tying to get them to do.
Negative is bringing focus back to what you are trying to do w/o aggression.

Deb

1 - 20 of 32 Posts