Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Roxy has been getting sick in the mornings about one every week or so. After blood tests and urine tests (everything looked good) the vet wants me to try and switch the food to see if she is having issues with it.

I have been feeding EVO turkey and chicken for years and she has done well on it. They want me to switch to this which they gave me.

Iams® Veterinary Formula

Corn Grits, Brewer's Rice, Chicken By-Product Meal, Chicken, Fish Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Brewer's Dried Yeast, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Fructooligosaccharides, Monosodium Phosphate, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate [source of Vitamin B1], Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement [source of Vitamin B2], Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [source of Vitamin B6], Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Choline Chloride, Flax Meal, DL-Methionine, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), Ethoxyquin (a preservative), Rosemary Extract

I just don't know as I thought by product meal ect was not good. But I would think the vet would know, maybe not.

Does Natura make a low residue food?

The only thing that has changed has been we had our first baby, so I thought maybe her nerves were getting to her, but that's just a guess

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I wouldn't make the switch to that food.

Evo is a decent food, if I were looking for a food that was "better" as far as ingredients I would look to Orjien and Acana. Fromm has a great product as well.

I know Instinct has a limited ingredient food, but with all the recent recalls you may want to stay away from that one.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
orijen won't work, I tried that before EVO and it was a no go.

EVO has been really go sof ar but I am trying to follow the Vet's advice with this low residue thing

The ingredient in that IAMs just look like crap. chicken by product meal, beet pulp, corn grits....

Everything I have been able to read says to avoid these since they are harder to digest..

I wonder about californai natural, looks like they have a chicken formula, I just don't know if that qualifies as low residue.

I may call the vet back and discuss but I need to get educated first

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Wow that Iams food looks HORRIBLE! Definitely don't buy that junk.

Can you switch to a different Evo formula? If she is sick on a chicken/turkey kibble, then maybe change to a different protein?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
If the reason for the vets recommendation is to evaluate if it is food related, switching from Evo to Orijen, Acana or Fromm 4-Star will not make much difference. The Iams food is extremely easy to digest since (I asume) the bulk of the food comes from corn grits and rice, and it will produce *very little acid* while digested. by-product meals isn't much to worry about in this kind of food since it shouldn't be used as an every day maintenance food anyway. The Iams vet diet should be used to 1) settle and stabilize her digestive system while 2) you look into other similar alternatives if the Iams formula works out. I see Ethoxyquin in there. Could you ask your vet for a similar formula from another manufacturer? RC Medi-Cal?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I read the post without reading the low residue part-duh! I still wouldn't feed the Iams. I'll have to second the home cooked, they don't seem to have very many dog foods with low residue formulas..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't do a homemade diet, I simply don't have the time right now. Don't get me wrong I love my dog a lot but I am running a business and have a 3 month old. Wife works full time as well.

I need something I can just dump in her dish. Maybe I should just try the stupid Iams? I just didn't like seeing by product meal ect.

The vet said this food is so easy to digest you don't even have to mix it over, you can just switch.

I thought maybe one of the single protein California naturals might work so I may look into that.

just struggling with what to do right now

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what do you guys/gals think about this theory. (since all blood tests and urine tests were fine)

I think she is stressed with the new baby here as we gave her tons of attention prior to the baby but now with the baby here, no matter how hard we try with both of us working, there is simply less time for the dog a little bit.

so maybe with things being out of sorts the super rich and dense EVO is just a bit hard for her to digest all the way or her tummy is slightly upset sometimes and once a week it catches up with her in the morning (it always in the morning) and she barfs.

she usually eats dinner and her poop is always ok.

so maybe it's just the stress and the EVO is a bit too much?

Thoughts? so maybe something like the california naturals would be a bit less dense and rich

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
or I should just listen to teh vet and feed the Iams, but then what, a few weeks go by and I have to switch again?

I guess at least if I did give her the IAMS and she stopped getting sick then I would know it's the EVO.

She has been on EVO for years and everything was fine until the baby came.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I think you should start a diary, not like a long on but just take note of everything she's eating during the day and the times. Perhaps you could even put in there how much exercise she gets each day and if you notice her being stressed. That way you can see if there is a pattern to the vomiting.

Does she eat twice a day? At what times? How is she with the baby? And what is the vomit looking like, food, bile?

·
Registered
853 Posts
I say you gotta do what you gotta do. Whatever works for your dog.

However, that Iams looks pretty darn bad. Check out Royal Canin and some of their RX foods. They have a low reside formula and it's a lot better.

Here's one of RC's RX foods:
Dried potato, rabbit meal, coconut oil, potato protein, natural flavors, vegetable oil, fish oil, monocalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, DL-methionine, salt, choline chloride, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), biotin, D-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin A acetate, niacin supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], taurine, trace minerals (zinc oxide, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), rosemary extract, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols and citric acid.

Crude Protein (min) 19.50%
Crude Fat (min)10.50%
Crude Fiber (max) 3.70%
Moisture (max) 10.00%

·
Registered
851 Posts
The baby could very well be it. I would just try to keep her calm and still show her she loved and important. A baby is a big difference for a dog.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I don't know much about it, Jacksons Mom will probably have a lot more info. Lamb is a richer protein though, although I didn't know if it makes a difference in kibble being cooked.

·
Registered
380 Posts
orijen won't work, I tried that before EVO and it was a no go.

EVO has been really go sof ar but I am trying to follow the Vet's advice with this low residue thing

The ingredient in that IAMs just look like crap. chicken by product meal, beet pulp, corn grits....

Everything I have been able to read says to avoid these since they are harder to digest..

I wonder about californai natural, looks like they have a chicken formula, I just don't know if that qualifies as low residue.

I may call the vet back and discuss but I need to get educated first
I know everything online you are probably reading is telling you that these ingredients are hard to digest but truth is they are not. Everything in that veterinary diet is very easy to digest and that is the point of that formula. Corn grits are very well digested, all processed corn is no matter what you "hear." Fact is for many, many years everyu single feeding study or study done on processed corn in reference to dogs and digestion has shown it is very well tolerated and highly digestible. It's a long story but corn has been the whipping boy of the grains for years now and it will not stop, fact is what you read maligning this ingredient is wrong, yep I said wrong. I researched it for waaay too long and was never able to prove or substantiate any of the negative things you see written, none of them. Yeah, I am going to deal with tons of posts for saying this lol A number of kibble companies still use corn because they know the truth and know better...

Anyway, over the long run you would not want to use a food that is based on corn however (meaning it being the first ingredient.) It being contained in a kibble is not the end of the world and no, your dog will not suffer or anything else. Personally I avoid wheat and barley...these I have seen problems with and have seen studies showing the issues with using them.

By-product meal? Honestly it depends on what is in the meal...seriously, there are grades just like anything else. I personally stopped worrying about it a long time ago though. The bottom line is trusting the manufacturer. Many people have a distrust these days that is perpetuated by online blogs and journals as well as books they are reading, just remember anyone can write anything, it doesn't make it true... I do not distrust Iams...for many reasons, if you want me to explain let me know and I will. I have no reason to distrust them and *NO* their foods are *NOT* equivalent to Pedigree and Ol' Roy.

California Natural can be a good long term choice, sure but I think your vet is trying to calm your dog's system first to see if it is indeed diet related. I believe your choices are the above diet, Science Diet's d/d, i/d or z/d or you could do something homemade, your bvet can advise you on a homemade short term diet to rest the system.

Please do not discount what your vet is doing, you may not be thrilled with the choices but remember it is short term so your vet can find out if it is indeed diet related, this will not be your dog's long term diet and after a rest you should be able to return to what you want to feed.

Oh, beet pulp is your friend in this situation IMO. It is not aggravating this situation but is in fact providing actions that help the gut heal and recover...it is not sugar, it is not some sevret way to cover up stool issues, it is simply a great moderately fermentable fiber that helps produce short chain fatty acids in the intestines that in turn produce the gut's perferred colonic cells that keep it healthy. I can explain this in depth to if you would like me to. Just let me know how far you want me to go.

I realize what I have just written is going to cause a storm of comments. If you would like to talk to me away from that feel free to private message me.

Hope your dog feels better real soon.

Reactions: Brian 6

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Seems like you have gotten a lot of advice.

I hope you can figure something out and your pup starts to feel better.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I wouldn't use that in this case, Lamb is much harder to digest than corn and chicken, much harder.
Acana also has a duck and pear and a chicken and potato limited ingredient foods as well. I do not know what it means to be low residue though, so I'm probably of no help.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I know everything online you are probably reading is telling you that these ingredients are hard to digest but truth is they are not. Everything in that veterinary diet is very easy to digest and that is the point of that formula. Corn grits are very well digested, all processed corn is no matter what you "hear." Fact is for many, many years everyu single feeding study or study done on processed corn in reference to dogs and digestion has shown it is very well tolerated and highly digestible. It's a long story but corn has been the whipping boy of the grains for years now and it will not stop, fact is what you read maligning this ingredient is wrong, yep I said wrong. I researched it for waaay too long and was never able to prove or substantiate any of the negative things you see written, none of them. Yeah, I am going to deal with tons of posts for saying this lol A number of kibble companies still use corn because they know the truth and know better...

Anyway, over the long run you would not want to use a food that is based on corn however (meaning it being the first ingredient.) It being contained in a kibble is not the end of the world and no, your dog will not suffer or anything else. Personally I avoid wheat and barley...these I have seen problems with and have seen studies showing the issues with using them.

By-product meal? Honestly it depends on what is in the meal...seriously, there are grades just like anything else. I personally stopped worrying about it a long time ago though. The bottom line is trusting the manufacturer. Many people have a distrust these days that is perpetuated by online blogs and journals as well as books they are reading, just remember anyone can write anything, it doesn't make it true... I do not distrust Iams...for many reasons, if you want me to explain let me know and I will. I have no reason to distrust them and *NO* their foods are *NOT* equivalent to Pedigree and Ol' Roy.

California Natural can be a good long term choice, sure but I think your vet is trying to calm your dog's system first to see if it is indeed diet related. I believe your choices are the above diet, Science Diet's d/d, i/d or z/d or you could do something homemade, your bvet can advise you on a homemade short term diet to rest the system.

Please do not discount what your vet is doing, you may not be thrilled with the choices but remember it is short term so your vet can find out if it is indeed diet related, this will not be your dog's long term diet and after a rest you should be able to return to what you want to feed.

Oh, beet pulp is your friend in this situation IMO. It is not aggravating this situation but is in fact providing actions that help the gut heal and recover...it is not sugar, it is not some sevret way to cover up stool issues, it is simply a great moderately fermentable fiber that helps produce short chain fatty acids in the intestines that in turn produce the gut's perferred colonic cells that keep it healthy. I can explain this in depth to if you would like me to. Just let me know how far you want me to go.

I realize what I have just written is going to cause a storm of comments. If you would like to talk to me away from that feel free to private message me.

Hope your dog feels better real soon.
I don't want to start anything because it's a waste of time and learning so out of curiosity why do you trust Iams an like them?

And as far as by-products they're the left overs, the rejects; beaks, claws, feathers. How does grade have anything to do with them?

Reactions: SuperPug
1 - 20 of 128 Posts