Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my dogs got their first experience with raw today. They didn't get to eat it or even taste it, but I brought home a box of chicken backs from the butcher, and since I don't have my second freezer yet (that comes tonight), I don't have room in my chest freezer, so I brought it in to try to stuff into my fridge freezer. Well, I let them out of their crates and the first thing they did (after giving me hugs and whining that I left them alone for four hours, gawd forbid!) was run to the box and start trying to tear it apart. XD

I was kind of worried that Amaya might take some time to get used to it, might be one of those "I'm going to stick my nose up to it until I'm REALLY hungry" dogs, but she was almost as interested in them as her food obsessed brother! XD Now I've gotta start worrying about watching Ryou while he eats to make sure he CHEWS!!!

Any suggestions on how to train him to chew if he just tries to swallow?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Dogs do not need to chew their food before swallowing like we do...they just have to make sure it fits down the hatch. Because of this, you really do have to be careful to feed meat chunks that cannot be swallowed whole because it can be a choking hazard.

Akasha our Dane puppy chomps on a chicken quarter 3 or 4 times and then swallows it whole. We have yet to have an issue with her. She swallows most boneless meat chunks whole, or in several large whole chunks.

Obviously getting them to chew bone in meats is best for their teeth, but some dogs are stubborn. You could try holding onto whatever it is that you are feeding them so they have to chew it, but be careful they don't chomp your hand! In the beginning, getting them to chew their bones up more is better for them, but is not a huge deal if they don't. Their bodies will eventually be able to take care of a whole bone without issue (Akasha has swallowed whole rib bones before and they have always gotten completely digested).

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the problem is that he just completely inhales his food. I want to make sure he doesn't try to eat a bone or something that's too big for him without chewing on it first. I dunno, though, that's also with kibble. Might be different with something that's bigger. I think he'll be the kind of dog that's just like your dane puppy, *chomp! chomp! chomp! GONE!* XD I just don't want him trying to swallow without actually chewing a FEW times at least, make sense?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Totally makes sense. So in the beginning feed only very digestible bones like chicken and turkey so if he does swallow one whole, it wont be so much to worry about. And make sure the piece of meat or RMB is bigger than his mouth, or hold onto it. He might become a slow methodical eater when on raw...one of my dogs always inhaled her kibble but really takes her sweet time eating raw.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's good to know. XD He used to like chewing on Nylabones, but has since gotten bored of that. I think he may like to chew on his new chicken backs, though. They're not that small that he can just swallow them whole. hahaha.

·
Registered
939 Posts
When I first started my dog on raw, I decided to try some on my boyfriend's husky as well.

It was the most pathetic thing I've seen. lol

I gave him a chicken drumstick, which he readily took, only to drop it, lay down in front of it and proceed to talk and cry to me about not knowing what to do with it. :rolleyes: Mr. big, bad wolf-looking dog didn't know what to do with a measly drumstick while my Boston was right next to him happily chomping on his chicken thigh. :tongue:

I had to cut through the skin, and cut off chunks of the meat before he figured it out. He did, however, chew up the bone before swallowing.

I think that was my point, that he didn't just inhale it...I don't know...oh well. :tongue:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts