Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not even sure where to begin...

We have this older couple as neighbors and we have been good friends with them since we moved in a couple years ago. Our friendship has been based around our dogs because they had a Great Dane when we moved in and we have a Great Dane now. Since we have known them, I have not really agreed with the diets that they have for their dogs. They feed grocery store brand kibble and think that "beefy" is healthy. They even told me that they used to give their great dane puppy calcium tablets so he would grow faster :eek: They are the kind of people that you can't really change their way of thinking. Since my wife and I are in our twenties and this is my first dog, I can't possible know anything about what is healthy for my dog. :rolleyes: I have just shrugged it off up to this point and avoided the nutrition subject.

It has been nice being friends with them because Sandy (the neighbor lady) works part time and she will come over three days a week and take Grimm (our Dane) over to her house to play with their dogs during the day. Since we started feeding him raw, they have been a little intrusive with their opinions. At the beginning we had an issue with diarrhea due to organs/fat issues and he lost some weight and was a little gangly. They told us the he looked terrible and that he is going to die if we don't put him back on dog food. Again I just avoided it and said we are still working the kinks out and he will be fine.

Since then they have always put their two cents in whenever possible and they give us articles about how bad raw food is. They have even gone as far as buying us dog food (Iams and Purina) and leaving it in our house. Again I let it go.

This last weekend we went out of town for a wedding and reunion and took him to the kennel that we usually use for overnights and doggy daycare. They said that they were fine with feeding him raw and that we shouldn't have anything to worry about. We weren't going to be back in town until Sunday afternoon after the kennel was closed so we asked Sandy if she would pick Grimm up and put him in his kennel in our house. She said sure and we thought everything was great.

The report that we got from Sandy after she picked him up is that the kennel thinks he is malnurished and that he would not eat any of his food the entire weekend. Since he would not eat the chicken quarters we gave them, they tried to feed him dog food and he gobbled it up :eek: We were irate. All we had heard or seen from the kennel was a note on receipt about one of Grimm's back teeth on one side that is getting pretty brown and that his gums were bleeding on that side after he ate. This is an issue that we are aware of and it is because he will not chew on that side at all costs. We actually have an appointment with the vet tomorrow about it.

My wife called the kennel this morning to tell them that we were extremely dissatisfied with them and they should have called us before giving him any food other than what we gave them. I would have rather had him not eat all weekend than eat dog food. They told her that he ate all his chicken and that it is their policy to contact the owners before giving them any food that they had not brought in. They had not given him dog food. They said that other than the tooth, there were no problems and they enjoyed having him.

This morning it was obvious from Grimm's poop that he had eaten dog food. So now I am thinking that Sandy gave him dog food in order to somehow convince us that he likes it better. I am pretty sure that I will be changing the keycode for our garage door opener.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
How frustrating! :mad: I would for sure NOT be using that kennel ever again. How did they know that your dog wasn't badly allergic to the kibble they fed?? And, I wouldn't trust your neighbor with your dog anymore, which is hard because they sound like they could be nice neighbors.

Remember that you ARE feeding your dog the absolute best! Other people can be VERY closed minded and without being willing to do the research they will never change. I would just move on, and KNOW that you are doing the right thing by feeding your dog raw.

I will be switching my dogs within a months time once we run out of kibble. I know that I will be faced with some not so nice people and their comments. I'm pretty thick skinned and can be a real B so I will probably open my big mouth and tell them like it is...LOL. The good thing is that we have done our research and we are doing the best thing for our dogs and we know it! :smile:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Yikes. I wouldn't let your neighbor around him at all now since she is not trustworthy around him anymore.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I'm angry FOR you!!

I wonder what would happen if she fed her kids a particular diet (say vegan) that you didn't agree with, and you constantly told her how horrible it was (even though you had no idea and did no research on it), and then one day, fed her kids a wagon load of meat.....

I would definitely tell her that she will no longer be able to be alone with your dog because you know she will deviate from your feeding program (which actually could cause digestive upset). Also that you know she lied to you about what the kennel said.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Wow. I would be through the roof livid.
Have you confronted her to tell her you know she lied about them feeding her kibble?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have not spoken to them since talking to the kennel. Next time we see them we will probably bring it up.

The thing that bugs me the most is that they feel like they have the right to tell me what to feed my dog when both of their dogs are fat. Their Great Dane died at the age of 6 because of heart failure. He was 257 lbs.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
yikes, I would find someone a bit more reliable and on the same page with you. I do a lot of pet sitting and I see people feed crappy foods which makes me cringe, if the topic of nutrition comes up, I'll chime in, some take interest so I leave a printout with information regarding nutrition, others chose to ignore it. But for the most part, people are quite receptive and trust my knowledge because they know how much I love my (and their) pets.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The thing that bugs me the most is that they feel like they have the right to tell me what to feed my dog when both of their dogs are fat. Their Great Dane died at the age of 6 because of heart failure. He was 257 lbs.
OMG! :eek: The weird thing is they feel like you and your wife are the ones mistreating your dog, when actually an overweight dog has a huge health disadvantage over a thin one. I wouldn't let them near my dog, if were you. The last straw was when they lied about what the kennel did and said about your dog.

I think you said that they gave you printed information about how bad a raw diet is for dogs? Well, you could fight fire with fire and look up some of the TONS of information about obesity in dogs and the MYRIAD of health problems that stem from it, and print that and give it to them! :wink:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
on the other hand, i don't see them as friends.

it's a funny thing about people who feel they have license to be judge and jury on how one treats a dog....and absolutes abound.

and if i had a so called friend who killed a dog and not from overloving but ignorance and wrong thinking....

and if i had a so called friend who dared to interfere with MY kids....or dogs...

and if i had a so called friend who accused me of killing my dog....

i'm not so sure i would call them friend....they would be de rated to acquaintance...

i wouldn't waste my breath on saying anything other than don't ever do that again...more tactfully, i guess, than that....that you feel as if you've been ganged up on, deceived and interfering with someone's belief system is not the act of a friend but that of a saboteur....

i wouldn't bring up their dog...vent on the forum...and don't ever ask them to go near your dog again...

and, wow....i'm so sorry this is happening to you....

·
Registered
995 Posts
Yea, I know my dog would come first over my friendship with any neighbor! It doesn't even seem like it's worth arguing. Some people are just close minded. If you started to retaliate by printing articles that supported raw, it might lead to an endless drama war :frown:

Reactions: magicre

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think we are just going to avoid them at this point. I don't really want to start a war about dog food.

We went to a new vet yesterday that is pro raw to check out Grimm's tooth. She said it was just some tartar build up from him not chewing on that side and we should just scrape it off. She said he looks perfect for his age and size and we are doing a great job.

I was impressed with this vet because she looked at Grimm's previous vaccinations and told us of some that they don't use to prevent over vaccination. It is nice to go to a vet that is not going to charge us for everything that they possibly can.

Anyway, now that we have gotten the approval of two different vets about his weight. I feel comfortable telling my neighbors to stick it... if I have to.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I've stopped justifying the way I feed my dogs to people who don't agree and feed kibble, they all agree that they look great, have great looking white teeth, are very muscular,(it's the breed) they just can't wrap their heads around the fact and I'm plain and simple tired of explaining it to them.

So I take comfort in knowing that I'm doing the very best, (as you are) for my dogs and if people can't figure that out on their own, then I say TOO BAD for them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts