Dog Food Chat banner

I need help

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Unosmom 
#1 ·
I'm a new dog owner. She's a 2 year old beagle shepherd mix. About 20 lbs.

I've had her for about 6 weeks and knew little about feeding. I was giving her different foods all the time which I've learned was wrong. She did have diarrhea.

So I need help.

-Do I feed her one type of food in the morning and a different one at dinner? I don't have to feed her the same thing at both meals, right?

-Once I settle on meals I shouldn't change it...right?

-She doesn't like dry food. Won't even eat biscuits. Can you good people suggest a good brand that I can buy at either a supermarket or a pet store chain? I don't mind if it's expensive.

-What about treats? Do I stick with one type and stay with that too?

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
-Do I feed her one type of food in the morning and a different one at dinner? I don't have to feed her the same thing at both meals, right?
I would get her settled on eating one brand of kibble right now. It sounds like she has had some digestive upset, so we need to get that under control. I would choose a high quality grain free kibble and stick with it for a while.

-Once I settle on meals I shouldn't change it...right?
I change my dogs kibble every 2-3 months. I change canned with every case.

Can you good people suggest a good brand that I can buy at either a supermarket or a pet store chain? I don't mind if it's expensive.
The kibbles that I recommend are Orijen, Acana, and Horizon Legacy.

-What about treats? Do I stick with one type and stay with that too?
I do a large variety of healthy/natural treats. Bully sticks, tendons, dried liver, lung, etc, etc.

#4 · (Edited)
If you have Petsmart, you can try Blue Buffalo (I prefer their wilderness line, but it may bee too rich for sensitive dogs), you can try the original formula, then add some wilderness to see if your dog has any stomach upsets. If you dog is not fond of dry, add some of their canned formula, it actually smells pretty delcious(though I havent tried it myself).

As far as treats, I prefer to use meat based, low carb ones like dehydrated chicken (though make sure its not make in china), or dried lungs, bully sticks.

Once in a while, I'll buy cookie type treats, but only give it once a week because they are fattening, something like Blue Dog Bakery is a good brand.

When you pick a brand, stick with it for at least a month, definitely dont feed different brand every meal, thats a disaster waiting to happen. You can feed same kibble though with different canned flavors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.