Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for some help in what to feed my dogue de bordeaux, we had him off a first time breeder who to me didnt really seem to know what to do with them, we have had him 2 days an he is only 5 weeks old, im a little disterbed at the breeder who told us to feed him on dry puppy biscuits, now iv had a litter of staffies an although they are different dogs altogether our puppies were still on milk from their mother at 5 weeks old

please, if anyone can shed some light on the situation i would be very grateful

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
im looking for some help in what to feed my dogue de bordeaux, we had him off a first time breeder who to me didnt really seem to know what to do with them, we have had him 2 days an he is only 5 weeks old,
Man, you stepped into a mess here. A pup should never leave his mom until 8 weeks of age. Physically, they can get by OK around 6 weeks but there is a lot they learn from mom between 6 and 8 weeks that humans just can't teach. This "breeder" has no clue and you shouldn't have gotten a puppy from such a breeder. But what has been done has been done so we will make the best of it.

im a little disterbed at the breeder who told us to feed him on dry puppy biscuits, now iv had a litter of staffies an although they are different dogs altogether our puppies were still on milk from their mother at 5 weeks old
They can be weened off mother's milk at 5 weeks ok, usually. I am a raw feeder and if he were my pup I would be feeding him things like chicken wings, necks and drumsticks for the next 2 or 3 weeks.

I would never feed any of my dogs anything labeled "Dog Food", I will let others make suggestions to you here.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I would google "weaning puppies" and follow the formula that contains goat's milk, baby rice ceral then the gradual addition of finely ground kibble. Do not use cow's milk!

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
And maybe add some canned dog food to the milk just to get the puppy started weaning off of the milk. Poor pup. You could also give the pup back to the breeder for another 3 weeks and give the breeder a stern talking-to. I can't believe they were feeding the puppies dog biscuits and taking them away from their mother that early! That's just horrible!

·
Registered
441 Posts
When Titus' mom had her pups she actually started weaning them off at 3 weeks and it was all I could do to keep her feeding them. She did continue to feed them, but at about 4 weeks I started adding a little (key word little) canned blue buffalo soft food. I would put it on my finger and let them suckel it off. Now at 5 weeks, if you give them some canned food as I did, or you can also go out and get some of the similac puppy formula and feed it with a small amount of kibble, I did that also for a day or two. When they started getting bigger and their teeth came in, I did about 2/3 canned with 1/3 kibble and made sure it was soft enough for them to be able to eat it. You can do the same basic thing with the similac puppy formula/kibble if he is having trouble eating the kibble as of now.

If you are interested in feeding kibble, you could start that as soon as you see/feel teeth that could work through it.

Just to be clear. I kept the pups on mom till they were 6 weeks and she started becoming more agrivated with them then she needed to be. Then I did the canned/kibble and she just left them with no other thought of them. I tried keeping her with them and she would just walk away from them when they would try to 'eat' and if they were secessful with sttaching, she would step on them. Then I seperated them and the pups were about 7 weeks old.
Good luck with all that!! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts