Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Puppy - Free to good home

I emailed about her and asked questions. Thought it'd be perfect, because my dad-in-law wanted us to get an Aussie Shepherd instead of a Siberian Husky to begin with, so what better than getting a mix? haha. Anyways, I hope she responds soon, because I'm kind of excited. AND she's free! I don't want her going to a home that won't be able to properly care for her or abuse her or resell her or something.

XDDDDD​

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Sounds like a perfect match! Just wish people would research the types of dogs they want before they actually get them, sure would save alot of dogs being rehomed. Good Luck, sure hope she contacts you.

Reactions: xxshaelxx

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol. Yeah. When I got my Sibes, I did SO much research. So I know all there is to know about them, and I'm currently researching on Aussies, trying to get an idea what a combined dog would be like. XP They sound A LOT like Siberian Huskies in some ways, except that they're not stubborn like Sibes and like to herd. haha. Other than that, it's the same thing, constant training, constant attention, constantly needing something to do otherwise they get bored and develop destructive behaviors. I'm wondering how they'll do with my dogs, and whether my dogs will be enough for her herding instincts, or whether she'll feel the need to herd the cats. Well, I know that the cats are constantly being antagonized by the Sibes. haha. I don't think it'd be much different (I know I've been herded by my dad-in-law's Aussie once). I'm also wondering if the mix will kind of dim these personality traits.​

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
How exciting!! :biggrin::biggrin:
I hope it's a perfect match.
In a few months we will be also getting a new dog (puppy). I don't know how I am going to be able to wait that long! :biggrin:
Does she have a name yet?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
-.- I didn't get the puppy. This lady was giving away a FREE puppy on CraigsList and wasn't asking ANY questions about potential, future owners. I just hope the little girl didn't go to someone who's going to sell her to a lab for crack money or to use her for fighting dog bait. It annoys me so much, though, that she wouldn't ask questions of anybody, but instead, I got an email, AFTER I had expressed interest in the pup, stating that she had someone coming to look at her at four this afternoon. I mean, seriously? If you had other people wanting to look at the dog, you should have said so in the first email back to me, otherwise it seems like they emailed her AFTER me, and they just conveniently set up a time to come meet her before me.​

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Well, I'm going to say it because it really is my motto: Everything happens for a reason, not a clear reason yet, but it will be soon. So, I am sorry but it wasn't meant to be.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm crossing my fingers for this one.

Adoptable Australian Shepherd: Spot: Petfinder

So, since I didn't get the dog the other day, I've been looking around. I got my hopes all up for getting another dog, and they were dashed, so I really wanted another one. I found this guy posted on CraigsList tonight (after they were closed, so I know he hasn't been adopted), and I'm absolutely in love. I've been wanting a border collie for a while now, and this one is border collie/australian shepherd mix, so again, I'm getting the Aussie my dad-in-law wants me to get, AND I'm getting BC in there as well. AND his face is just absolutely ADORABLE!!! So we're driving up to the shelter early tomorrow and hoping we get accepted to adopt him.​

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah...nope. Some moron volunteer posted him last night when he had already gone home yesterday MORNING! I was so mad, because we got our butts up out of bed early when I couldn't sleep at ALL last night, to find that it was a stupid, moron, volunteer who posted him when he wasn't even there. So we got a call from another shelter saying someone had passed on an Australian Shepherd mix, and we went down and played with him a bit and adopted him. He's definitely a work in progress, though, because he gets too excited when he plays and gets kind of rough and aggressive with it when he doesn't get his way, barking and snarling and snapping. Rachel said to let him play with the Sibes, that they'd teach him how to be a dog, but they have NO idea. o_O They're just, like, "wtf am I supposed to do? I don't want to play anymore, and now he's coming at me aggressively!" haha. I thought they'd totally be, like, mean right back, teach him he's the bottom of the pack and needs to learn to be nice to get things. NOPE!

Anyways, here he is:

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
He is so flippin' CUTE!!!

What is he wearing the cone for?

My guess is that he will learn "how to be a dog" REALLY quickly from your other dogs. Since he is so young, he has plenty of time to become a well socialized puppy.

Are you going to start him out on raw as well?

YAY!! Glad you finally found a good match for your family...keep the pictures coming!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol. The cone is because he got neutered four days ago. A bit early in my opinion, but I understand their precautions.

As for him learning to be a puppy, it'll only be if my dogs learn how to teach him to be a puppy. haha. I'm still waiting for them to correct him! I even told my husband, "Hey, don't correct them when they correct him! They're teaching him how to be a dog." Haven't seen it yet! haha. I've been sitting here correcting the new puppy. Not only that, but he bit me pretty hard earlier, just playing, but still. I grabbed his nose and held his mouth shut. He seems to get the picture for a little while. It'll eventually sink in.

And yes, I'm starting him out on raw. Actually just posted about it on the raw section. XP Kinda a funny little story there, and a couple of questions.​

·
Registered
160 Posts
I saw your post in the raw section about them saying he was possible Aussie Shepherd and Rottie mix but he looks like he might have GSD in him... that would make up for the big paws ;)

But he is very cute!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just looked up that combination, and I think you may be right. haha. I wonder if I can do DNA testing to see what breeds he is? Wonder how much it'd cost. haha.​

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
DNA test cost is going to be about $100-150 depending on where you go and what test they do.

I have wanted to do one on Emmy for a while now, but just can't bring myself to justify the cost of it. I have to say that I wouldn't be any more happy or anything to know for sure what she is a mix of, but it would be cool to know LOL

·
Registered
160 Posts
The downside to DNA testing is that they don't have all of the breeds in their database so you could end up with results that are completely wrong.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
The downside to DNA testing is that they don't have all of the breeds in their database so you could end up with results that are completely wrong.
While this is a fact...they have the most common breeds in their databases so most likely this puppy would be covered as far as genetics go. I just don't think they have gotten to the more rare breeds out there!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts