Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on day two and he is doing excellent. Of course I started feeding him before I read all the details. I gave him Chicken with bone in and a turkey neck yesterday and this morning. He loves it and has done great. He has had no problems chomping up the bones. When I gave him his first meal he just stared at it for awhile and finally picked up a piece and went to his bed. I didn't want raw chicken all over my carpet so have been feeding him in the garage since. I took a bed out for him. He picks up each piece, carries it over to his bed and then will lay down and eat.

So far I have been lucky and he hasn't had any diarrhea. I am going to buy a new fridge to keep in the garage just for Diesel's food!

Wish us luck, so far so good!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Luck has nothing to do with it. You are following a plan and if you stick to it, you probably won't have any digestive problems. I suggest buying a freezer rather than a fridge. You can often find them very cheap on craigslist. Congratulations :smile

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I am on day two and he is doing excellent. Of course I started feeding him before I read all the details. I gave him Chicken with bone in and a turkey neck yesterday and this morning. He loves it and has done great. He has had no problems chomping up the bones. When I gave him his first meal he just stared at it for awhile and finally picked up a piece and went to his bed. I didn't want raw chicken all over my carpet so have been feeding him in the garage since. I took a bed out for him. He picks up each piece, carries it over to his bed and then will lay down and eat.

So far I have been lucky and he hasn't had any diarrhea. I am going to buy a new fridge to keep in the garage just for Diesel's food!

Wish us luck, so far so good!
Congrats on the switch!! I have a deep freezer in the garage that I got off of craigslist for $50. I have a fridge in the kitchen and all of Aspen's meals are in baggies. About 2 weeks worth. When I'm running out of his meals, I just go to the garage and thaw more meat to prepare in baggies. :smile:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We already have a freezer in the shop. My husband has this mostly full of Elk, duck and fish. Thank God he loves to hunt! As soon as Diesel is ready I will start to add some of that in! I need a fridge to keep extra soda's/beer etc. for us in the garden. Will also keep Diesel's meat in that Freezer/Fridge also. I store all of my dog food in the Garage so it will be handy having a fridge in there. I plan on putting the new one in the house and the old one in the garage.

Now I need to start looking around to see where I can pick up some good deals on meat locally, I am actually enjoying this!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Keep up the good work and it will pay off. Just remember to take things slow and you will have an easier time with the switch! And don't hesitate to ask questions!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you again Dane Momma! I will definitely ask questions! We are in day three and still have healthy solid poops. They have changed color and I can see some bits of bone in them. Can't wait to get my new fridge, need to bulk up on meat. Right now just buying it from the market is pricey. Diesel is so excited at meal time! Typically he doesnt get excited when I feed, now he leaps threw the air!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
You should really consider feeding all of your dogs raw. If you can find a local meat wholesale distributor you can buy in bulk, which costs a ton less than grocery store prices.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, I will check that out. I found whole chickens at Safeway yesterday buy one get one free which brought it down to about .89 cents a pound. We eat the breasts and peice out the rest of the chicken for Diesel. Better than what I was paying before.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
CA has a plethora of options for raw feeding co-ops, I also do alot of ordering from my local community co-op as I like to feed my dogs grass fed/hormone free meat and it really is not as expensive as people think, just not $1.00 a lb.

Good Luck in your hunt for suppliers.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Diesel is doing so good on his new food. He loves it! I have had no problems with diarrhea at all. It turns out that who I buy my Solid Gold and Honest Kitchen from is selling a fridge that is a year old so I am going to buy her fridge, that will save me a lot, plus I trust her! Can't wait to get it! Then I can stock up and start buying bulk.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Thanks for the update!!! Glad to hear he is doing well and that you have an awesome hookup for the fridge!

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
that is excellent news ....

and yay on the refrigerater..we are still hunting craig's list for a freezer, so i can take advantage of my co op......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts