Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I've been lurking a couple of weeks, and I have been researching my little eyes out.

I can't believe that just about a month ago I was feeding Iams, and yet just 5 mins ago, I gave my pup his first raw chicken thigh.

He was fine on Iams, but I started doing research on dog nutrition and I realized that to THRIVE he needed something more. I mean, I was so picky with my own family's diet -- why didn't that apply to my dog?!

I went from Iams to Nature's Recipe -- and he was really itchy. Mind you he was fine on the Iam's. So I went to Natural Balance and I transitioned him very slowly. By the time he was on full NB he had yukky loose runny poop. Not quite uncontrollable diarrhea, but you get the point. So I decided that I would just switch. I went to making a BARF type patty at home, but I know he needs the bone. He's not as runny anymore on the BARF type patties, but I know he really needs bone (not the eggshell or bone meal). So I got a bag of bone in chicken thighs (couldn't find the quarters, will have to look again).

I was so nervous feeding the thigh. He took the whole thing in his mouth and ate it standing up. I think it was because I kept trying to drag the raw chicken off the living room floor hah. He's only 5 months and chowed the thing down like a champ. I took the skin off since he's already a little runny, just to see how he does with it.

So I did it. I took the first step. Dang I'm still nervous heh! And I'm even an authority questioning type!

Here are some questions for you guys!

So, the pup is border collie/lab mix. He's 5 months old and currently weighs 30 lbs. I'm guessing he's gonna be somewhere between 50-80 pounds as an adult. No one really has a decent estimation for me heh. Maybe I'll figure at about 60 or so? I've forgotten how much puppies grow between 6-12 months? Hasn't it slowed down by now? is he at approx half his adult weight? Anyway, so would I feed him approx 2# a day of bone in stuff? I'm not an exact type person, so I'll prolly weigh the first couple of pieces and just guess from there. I know that as a person I don't need to worry about eating as an exact science, so I'm not going to be obsessive about him either. I just wanna make sure my ball park figure is right and I haven't miscalculated too much hah.

About how long will it take for the "I'm insanely hungry" thing to wear off? I know that its normal for them to behave as if they are starving, and I know I have him on the BARF homemade patties now and he should be a little bit better with the bone in stuff, but about how long will it be before this personality change is gone? He went from sweet docile dog to chow hound in the space of a day. He's acting like I'm starving him, and really, according to his weight I'm kinda overfeeding him (but its all good raw meat and a minimal amount of veg matter).

Thanks for listening, I just needed a little bit of emotional reassurance :)

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I was so nervous feeding the thigh. He took the whole thing in his mouth and ate it standing up. I think it was because I kept trying to drag the raw chicken off the living room floor hah. He's only 5 months and chowed the thing down like a champ. I took the skin off since he's already a little runny, just to see how he does with it.
Cool. I think I would try something a little larger than a thigh. Look for quarters. They aren't that difficult to find and are usually cheaper than thighs.

So, the pup is border collie/lab mix. He's 5 months old and currently weighs 30 lbs. I'm guessing he's gonna be somewhere between 50-80 pounds as an adult. No one really has a decent estimation for me heh. Maybe I'll figure at about 60 or so? I've forgotten how much puppies grow between 6-12 months? Hasn't it slowed down by now? is he at approx half his adult weight? Anyway, so would I feed him approx 2# a day of bone in stuff?
I think I would feed him about 1.5 lbs a day but but 2 isn't all that much so if you are comfortable with 2, feed that. Keep a close eye on his build understanding that thin is better than fat. You should be able to see his back two ribs and see a definite waste line behind his ribcage when viewed from above. You should not be able to see his hip bone or spine. Use those guidelines and adjust the volume of food to keep him in those specs.

I'm not an exact type person, so I'll prolly weigh the first couple of pieces and just guess from there.
Cool, there is nothing exact about feeding dogs or humans.

About how long will it take for the "I'm insanely hungry" thing to wear off?
Not long. Don't spend an excessive amount of time worrying about that.

He's acting like I'm starving him, and really, according to his weight I'm kinda overfeeding him (but its all good raw meat and a minimal amount of veg matter).
You are not underfeeding him. Get rid of the veggie stuff and it will help with his problem. Carbs contribute to the hunger feeling. I learned that when I went on Atkin's diet back in the 1970's before Atkins was popular. Dogs have absolutely no need for carbs. My Abby (10yo Great Dane) hasn't had a carb in 8 years. Thor (5yo Great Dane) hasn't eaten carbs in his life.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
it wasn't until i stopped feeding what made me feel better that my dogs began to respond....

i tend to underfeed a little, but then, my dogs aren't puppies and overfeeding causes those yucky poops we love so much...

i love your excitement.......and six weeks into raw, my pug hasn't stopped dancing every time i get up to go to the kitchen, so i expect it's the first time in his life that he's had something to be excited about LOL...

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
You might be mistaking his enthusiasm for real food for those "I'm starving!" behaviors. He's probably just really excited to eat! My dogs get that way too if they feel I've taken too long to get around to feeding them, they'll walk around whining and nosing me like "hey woman, FEED US NOW!" and then dance and run around whenever I get the meat out.

And as RFD said, cut out the veggies so they aren't taking up room for the good stuff in your dog's diet and he won't feel as hungry. About 1.5 - 2 lbs/day sounds about right to me. Just monitor his body condition and adjust accordingly. You can find chicken leg quarters in most grocery stores, just ask someone if you can't find them. They're usually the cheapest cut of chicken too.

I'm glad you made the switch, I hope he does well with it!

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
You might be mistaking his enthusiasm for real food for those "I'm starving!" behaviors. He's probably just really excited to eat! My dogs get that way too if they feel I've taken too long to get around to feeding them, they'll walk around whining and nosing me like "hey woman, FEED US NOW!" and then dance and run around whenever I get the meat out.

And as RFD said, cut out the veggies so they aren't taking up room for the good stuff in your dog's diet and he won't feel as hungry. About 1.5 - 2 lbs/day sounds about right to me. Just monitor his body condition and adjust accordingly. You can find chicken leg quarters in most grocery stores, just ask someone if you can't find them. They're usually the cheapest cut of chicken too.

I'm glad you made the switch, I hope he does well with it!
i've never seen dogs so excited...it gladdens my heart....from kibble to homecooked to raw, i've never seen anything like it...not just the excitement that i'm going into the kitchen and their body clocks are a little pavlovian....it's the absolute joy with which they eat and it shows....

·
Registered
441 Posts
About how long will it take for the "I'm insanely hungry" thing to wear off? I know that its normal for them to behave as if they are starving, and I know I have him on the BARF homemade patties now and he should be a little bit better with the bone in stuff, but about how long will it be before this personality change is gone? He went from sweet docile dog to chow hound in the space of a day. He's acting like I'm starving him, and really, according to his weight I'm kinda overfeeding him (but its all good raw meat and a minimal amount of veg matter).
Hahahaha!!! My boys still have the "I'm insanely hungry" look on their face anytime I walk into the kitchen!! I don't think that ever really leaves. BUT, your need to want to feed them will decrease very soon. You will realise that he is just showing you that he loves what you are feeding him now! :biggrin:
The only time that my boys will ever get veggies is when we are working on training or something like that. Veggies and other stuff is just not needed, but they still like them once in a while. So you can cut that out and they will start to do better with the feedings. If you feel the need to feed more, find something like sardines or small smelt. That is what I had to do with Titus. I still do if they give me those looks for too long. :)

Good luck and enjoy this time! :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts