Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped going to a new vet I had tried out because the woman basically tried to make me feel bad for feeding raw.

Well, another vet did tonight. I work at a pet store and a local vet has cats at the store for adoption and comes in to care for them on occassion. I asked her what she feeds her cats and dogs because I am curious and she replied that she feeds Pro Plan and Royal Canin. In my opinion, not very good food, not horrible, but not great either.

I told her I feed Taste of the Wild and raw on occassion (to see her reply) and she started on about how salmonella and e coli is a huge deal (I told her I disagree) and I thought she would be more concerned about perforations (as the other vet had remarked). She told me if I cooked all my dogs meals (yeah right) I could be assured it was safe of bacteria and what not. I disagreed with everything she said but what really got me is that air of superiority that the other vet had. WHat is with these people, just because they have some degree, they know everything? WTH? More and more magazines, books, and other literature now include the raw diet idea so I know a lot of people are doing it. I don't hear any huge epdemic that raw is taking out dogs left and right. And really, who cooks the food for wild canids? I was flustered so I didn't have any quick comebacks. I should have told her that dogs eat poop and seem to handle that bacteria ok.

Nothing she said will change my mind. I still advocate it and will feed my dogs what I deem appropriate. It just irks me the attitude and how they try to make me feel that I am doing the dogs some great disservice.

URGH! HAd to vent.

Are their ANY vets that don't put you down and try to make you feel bad because you do raw?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Are their ANY vets that don't put you down and try to make you feel bad because you do raw?
I'm sure there are vets sprinkled around that do agree with RAW. :smile:

Thing is, I don't know if my vet is one of them yet. My plan is when he comments on how good Casey is look'en, then I'll tell him how she loves her RAW chicken and bones. :biggrin:

Hoping he doesn't blow a gasket and need First Aid and/or CPR. :eek::biggrin:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I volunteered the information to this vet to see what she would say. However, the vet I first got slammed by was new. She remarked about how good my dachshund/poodle mix's teeth looked. He is now six years old and had EXCELLENT teeth. The breeds are known to get bad teeth if left unchecked, but my guy is doing pretty good. I told the vet it was from the raw bones because I had quit brushing his teeth ( he HATED it).

Then she told me about how many perforations (sp?) she had seen in her practice and I should stop. I asked her what she fed and she told me Eukanuba. I asked her about the corn and she defended it. I asked her about by products and she said if she trusts the company, the by products were ok. I was less educated then about food (and flustered) or I might have asked more. No matter what you ask them, they have an answer for everything.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Haha, I'd ask her why she bothers to feed Eukanuba when it's just Iam with a higher price tag. Why not save the money if you're gonna be feeding them garbage anyway? Oh and ftr, there are two vets in Reno who love raw feeding.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I went to a new vet today and had a similiar experience. First the vet tech was in and RAVED about how healthy my dog looked and asked what I fed. I told her raw and she said I had a lucky dog (I agree). Then the vet came in....he asked me what I fed and I told him exactly what I do with my raw food diet (it's not like I just toss my dogs raw meat and that's it). He tried to push Hill's Science Diet because "the people there have studied nutrition for years." Really? With all that corn in there?

I wish I could find a vet that believed in raw or at least didn't think I was a horrible dog owner for feeding it. At least he supported my decision to not give multiple vaccines and to allow her to be on a three year vaccination schedule. (I would prefer titer testing and no vaccinations, but I haven't found a vet for this either. Guess I'll keep looking.)

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I went to a new vet today and had a similiar experience. First the vet tech was in and RAVED about how healthy my dog looked and asked what I fed. I told her raw and she said I had a lucky dog (I agree). Then the vet came in....he asked me what I fed and I told him exactly what I do with my raw food diet (it's not like I just toss my dogs raw meat and that's it). He tried to push Hill's Science Diet because "the people there have studied nutrition for years." Really? With all that corn in there?

I wish I could find a vet that believed in raw or at least didn't think I was a horrible dog owner for feeding it. At least he supported my decision to not give multiple vaccines and to allow her to be on a three year vaccination schedule. (I would prefer titer testing and no vaccinations, but I haven't found a vet for this either. Guess I'll keep looking.)
There are vets out there that will support titer testing, but they are rare too. Any vet can do a titer test, it's whether they will approve it for proof and if the law will take that titer as proof of vaccination or not.

You will have a very hard time finding a vet that advocates or agrees with a raw diet. But don't let that discourage you at all!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I won't be discouraged! I know I'm doing right by my dogs, regardless of what the vet might say. I know vets that support raw are rare, I am more frustrated that he tried to "push" his food on me.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I won't be discouraged! I know I'm doing right by my dogs, regardless of what the vet might say. I know vets that support raw are rare, I am more frustrated that he tried to "push" his food on me.
Except for rabies, nothing forces you to give your dogs vaccinations. It is your choice only. If your vet requires vaccinations (most don't) find another vet. My dogs haven't been vaccinated in 5 years. I don't bother with titers either.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah, it's only if you take your dog to an establishment that requires vaccines (dog daycares, boarding facilities, and the like) where you need any vaccine besides your rabies. YOU have the money and YOU have the say as to which vaccines your dogs get. And I know you don't worry about feeding raw, but next time it happens, just smile and appreciate the irony that you know more about your dogs' nutrition than your vet does :biggrin:

I'm thinking I won't even care about that for the next vet I find, in fact, I'm looking forward to traumatizing and educating my next dog vet. My cats go to the feline-only clinic I work at. I was so happy the other day when a client asked her what the absolute best food was she could feed her cat and my vet told her that without a doubt, raw is best. Why can't she see dogs too? haha

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
hahaha good point! can't make money if all your patients are always healthy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts