Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so a couple of days ago I drove past a rabbit on the road. We've been having below freezing temps and I know it had only been there a day or two. So I turned around and picked it up!
Thanks to a coupe youtube videos I skinned the bunny my dogs came close to a whole prey meal! I just didn't feed the intestines since they smelled bad from sitting around for a few days.

It actually wasn't very hard at all, probably took about 10 minutes. I'll be on the lookout for more bunnies and squirrels.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
493 Posts
OMG! That is one of the nastiest things I have ever heard! Wonder what people driving by were thnking as you picked the roadkill up and threw it in the back of the car:biggrin:

be careful feeding roadkill. you never know if they've got any antifreeze, oil, of gas on them fom laying out in the street, although i guess you did skin it. i'm not so sure feeding roadkill is such a good idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a dead rabbit, what does it matter whether I bought it or it was hit by a car? Also, I skinned it and rinsed the meat so I'm not worried about any contaminants.
Luckily it was not a heavily trafficked road- I would have been a little embarrassed if anyone saw me pick it up! haha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,128 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it at all. But I would not be surprised if your dogs get a bit of diarrhea from it since its something completely new adding into their diet! As soon as we get out of the city, I hope to find more "roadkill" meals :biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Now thats dedication! Wow! I am impressed. That might not mean anything coming from me, but I have seen my fair share of tough guys that wouldn't even pick up road kill. Hahaha...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha! well I am 3 months away from my Wildlife Management degree so I've handled my fair share of wildlife, dead and alive. Picking up a little bunny isn't so hard after taking blood samples from a dead elk's chest cavity. I even cut all the meat off an elk head we got in (to test for cronic wasting disease) for my pups once.

Yes, I do expect they may have diarrhea since they've never had rabbit before. Just as long as it's outside it should be ok! :biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Groovy!

A squirrel has been in the freezer for over a month. I'm going to feed it to my beast too. It was a legal kill, with a small games permit. :biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,004 Posts
Ok, so a couple of days ago I drove past a rabbit on the road. We've been having below freezing temps and I know it had only been there a day or two. So I turned around and picked it up!
Thanks to a coupe youtube videos I skinned the bunny my dogs came close to a whole prey meal! I just didn't feed the intestines since they smelled bad from sitting around for a few days.

It actually wasn't very hard at all, probably took about 10 minutes. I'll be on the lookout for more bunnies and squirrels.
That's AWESOME!!!
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top