Dog Food Chat banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
it took a while......now i just secretly smile......

and now i can 'tell' kibble fed dogs from raw fed dogs. the build is distinctive.
Oh for sure. I remember early on going to Competitive Obedience class with my pup and meeting a woman with a beautiful Irish Setter. When the dog greeted me I felt his soft coat and slyly assessed his muscles and paplated his ribs. I looked up at the woman and said: You raw feed!

She looked quite startled for a moment and started to say "how do you know?" but she caught herself and laughed saying" "of course you know"! We became fast friends.

I've had similar things happen the other way around.

And "civilians" always ask why my guy looks so good.

Bill

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
So Cricket's poops have been consistently normal. Today was her last day of meds, and we're going to give her bentonite clay for the next few days and slowly decrease the amount just to be safe. Today, her poop was a little bony at first, and then distinctly changed to a dark brown. I don't know if any of you remember but I know Kells mentioned that this happened when we first started Cricket on raw. She's acting normally so we're not terribly worried.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
a newly transitioned dog ---- not uncommon to find bone shards in the poop.

there are changes to the look of the dog and there are major changes to how the dog's body works.....the immune system gets a boost, the gastro intestinal system goes through
a major transformation....but it does take time for the gut microbes to adapt to being fed this way......it's a beautiful thing

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I knew the vet would put Cricket on meds, which I'm afraid is going to make the new transition back into raw more difficult. Those meds can do a number on the digestive system. There wasn't anything wrong to need to be on those.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Yeah that makes sense that the antibiotics would do a number on her digestive system but hopefully we can get through this transition even if it is going to be more difficult.

Her poop yesterday was a little mucousy and today it was kinda liquidy and mucousy, but looked like it was hard. She did have some turkey neck for the past two days but she's been chewing better than usual and the percentage of bone has been 10% as far as our calculations have been. We've been giving her bentonite clay, one tablespoon a day to hopefully help out. She's also been getting lots of exercise lately, she's been running around like crazy since it's been so nice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you like interesting recipes? Then I can advise you this site with a recipe for rice soup.
club.cooking/recipe/chicken-rice-soup/

You'll like it.

Steps
Step 1
Sautée your diced onion, celery and carrots in cooking oil over medium heat for about 4 minutes, add garlic and dried herbs and cook for another minute.

Step 2
Add salt and pepper, broth, chicken and rice. Stir and bring to a boil over high heat.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts