Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I have a black lab and I normally feed him 100% raw. However, I'm going on a camping trip and I'm trying to figure out what is the safest and most convenient way to feed him. This is a national forest without any plumbing or electricity, so going in to town to buy food is out of the question, and I have no way to keep raw meat fresh. Plus, if I can find something less fresh, hopefully I won't have to worry about bears smelling it. Anyway, I've got a sample of Honest Kitchen dehydrated food (you add water to this one), and I also have small bag of kibble called Heritage Ranch, made by H-E-B (fantastic grocery store only in Texas). I want to try feeding him these to see if they agree with him or cause any problems. What is the best way to do this? Should I fast him for one day and then feed him one of these the next day?

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I know a lot of people who camp and travel with raw fed dogs. They use coolers, and pack the meat frozen. By the time meal times come around it's thawed just enough. Then they can restock as needed when they get supplies for themselves at local stores.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
The easiest, surest way to test a food is to feed it. If your dog hasn't eaten a variety of foods, you may have a few tummy issues at first though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts