Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First things first...Gracie and Tyler go nuts every day at feeding time now! Thanks for all your help! Thanks to all of your great advice I stuck with it...:wink: Wednesday will be a whole week of nothing but chicken backs for the 2 of them...what should I introduce next?

Now...I just got a new foster girl this morning (coonhound). She is about 6 months old. I gave her a chicken back this afternoon and she LOVED it! I did cut it into chunks for her:frown: My question is this....she is VERY thin as she was a stray. How can I saftely put weight on her? I should still do nothing but chicken backs for the first week right? Maybe if I feed her 3 times a day instead of twice?

Thanks in advance...Erin

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
For the first week, just feed her the normal amount to let her body adjust. Too much too fast can just cause her to get the runs which could cause more weight loss :eek:

I think it would be safe to wait until week 2 and then add a third meal in and see how she does with it. If she does fine, then continue with the third meal for a while and that should help her steadily gain back the weight she needs. You could also just switch it over to one meal being bigger than the other so your other two don't think they should be getting a third meal too :smile:

·
Banned
493 Posts
For the first week, just feed her the normal amount to let her body adjust. Too much too fast can just cause her to get the runs which could cause more weight loss :eek:

I think it would be safe to wait until week 2 and then add a third meal in and see how she does with it. If she does fine, then continue with the third meal for a while and that should help her steadily gain back the weight she needs. You could also just switch it over to one meal being bigger than the other so your other two don't think they should be getting a third meal too :smile:
Yes, I agree. Gradually increase her intake to gain weight over time, but no too fast because it may be too garsh on her digestive system. In the meantime, here are some things you could try to supplement her raw diet;

-a gob of peanut butter each day

-large-curd cottage cheese

-Try giving your dog "satin balls." Satin balls are a mixture of different foods that are then molded into spheres, much like meatballs. The ingredients in the satin balls are meant to put weight on a dog in less than two weeks. (This may be a bit harsh on her system as well, but I guess it's worth a try) Below is a common ingredient for satin balls;

5 pounds ground meat
5 cups Total whole grain cereal
5 cups oats (slow cooking type)
2½ cups raw wheat germ
¾ cup oil
¾ cup molasses
6 egg yolks
5 packets gelatin
2 ½ tablespoons Solid Gold Seameal supplement

Mix up, form balls, freeze, feed as treats or food supplement.

Mix all ingredients together thoroughly like you would a meatloaf.
Roll into balls no larger than 1 inch diameter.
Divide into at least 6 separate containers or bags. Freeze. Thaw as needed for feeding.

*If you try these satin balls, you may want to substitute other ingredients instead of grains, for grains could possibly create contradicting digestion rates when supplemented with a raw diet base.

*If all else fails, you could also try dog weight gain supplements.

Hope I could help. Good luck!:smile:

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I wouldn't go the route of Satin Balls since you're feeding a raw diet. It's counterintuitive to add things like that back into the diet.

Get thru the raw adjustment period and then just increase your meal portions. The weight will add on pretty quickly. Just remember to decrease again after you've gotten the weight on.

·
Banned
493 Posts
I wouldn't go the route of Satin Balls since you're feeding a raw diet. It's counterintuitive to add things like that back into the diet.

Get thru the raw adjustment period and then just increase your meal portions. The weight will add on pretty quickly. Just remember to decrease again after you've gotten the weight on.
Yea, I guess I'd have to agree. Guess everyones not as impatient as I am. LOL:biggrin:

Yea, just be patient, adjust her to a raw diet, and then increase her intake from there.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I think the fact that she will be getting regular meals on a consistent basis will be enough to get her weight on. If she is thin, that means that she hasn't been getting enough to eat. So just by giving her what she needs will make her put on weight. Remember with raw that you feed 2-3% of the IDEAL weight. So if she is 10 pounds underweight, you don't feed to her current weight you feed according to what she would weigh at a healthy weight.

I don't like the idea of satin balls. They are high in fat and super rich and can cause more issues than you want to deal with right now.

You have to post up pictures soon!!! Glad to hear that your dogs are doing well on raw...I told you that it would pay off :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Don't worry about putting on weight for the first 2 months of the raw diet. The only concern during the first 2 months is letting the dog adjust to digesting real food. You have a lifetime to put weight on him. You have a lifetime to feed him a good balanced raw diet. Going slowly in the first couple of months will pay dividends later.

There are very few dogs that need to put weight on. Usually the problem is the dog is to damn fat. Thin is MUCH healthier than fat. You should be able to see the last 2 ribs (easily feel them if its a long hair dog). You should see a definate waste line behind the rib cage when viewed from above. You should not be able to see hip bones or spine. If you can't see hip bones or spine, your dog is not too thin. If you can, another 2 months won't hurt him.

The chances are in the next couple of weeks, when you get more items in the diet, he will begin to gain weight on his own if he needs to. Just don't worry about it for now.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't worry about putting on weight for the first 2 months of the raw diet. The only concern during the first 2 months is letting the dog adjust to digesting real food. You have a lifetime to put weight on him. You have a lifetime to feed him a good balanced raw diet. Going slowly in the first couple of months will pay dividends later.

There are very few dogs that need to put weight on. Usually the problem is the dog is to damn fat. Thin is MUCH healthier than fat. You should be able to see the last 2 ribs (easily feel them if its a long hair dog). You should see a definate waste line behind the rib cage when viewed from above. You should not be able to see hip bones or spine. If you can't see hip bones or spine, your dog is not too thin. If you can, another 2 months won't hurt him.

The chances are in the next couple of weeks, when you get more items in the diet, he will begin to gain weight on his own if he needs to. Just don't worry about it for now.
Thanks for the advice....you CAN see her spine and hip bones! She was found walking down the side of the freeway! She appears to be about 6 months old.

I guess we will just take it slow and steady. I will throw a fee extra chunks in Lilys bowl:wink:

As for Tyler (the bulldog) he can now eat in the HOUSE without making a mess! But, I still cut his meat into chunks.

THANKS everyone! I will post pictures as soon as I can figure it out:redface:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
^^^ When you respond to a post you have a bar of icons above your text box. There is an icon up there that looks like a stamp (a yellow box with a mountain inside) which you click on and it asks you for a link to a picture you want to post. The picture has to be up somewhere on the Internet like facebook or picasaweb album or photobucket. If you choose a picture...right click on the picture. A box will pop up and you have to go to properties. Highlight and copy the link to that picture...paste it in the box that pops up when you click on the picture icon. At least this is the way I do it :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts