Dog Food Chat banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
maybe a dog is ok with eating the same kibble or can food at each meal. why
wouldn't they enjoy a change? i like switching my dogs kibble and can food.
i add can food to the kibble as a topping but i also add a variety of other things.
i just looked at my dogs treats. i have 5 different brands of treats.

Power to the Switch!!!!!

Why do you go around acting like someone stuck a stick up your arse?

What harm does rotating do? None.

>>>>> I'd hate to eat the same thing every day for the rest of my life so I rotate,<<<<<<

why wouldn't I do the same thing for my dogs?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
so, you mix brand A and Brand B (a 1/2 cup each). by proportion each 1/2 cup contains
the proper amount of nutrients (i think) so when you mix a 1/2 cup of Brand A with a 1/2 cup
of Brand B wouldn't that give you 1 cup of the proper nutrients??

i read that even though rotating is fine, it's not good to mix two different kibbles in the same meal because the percentages of stuff in them are different. So you may not be giving the proper proportions of nutrients.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I rotate foods daily.
My dogs get different foods for each meal.
I am currently rotating TOTW Pacific Stream, Fromm Surf & Turf, Fromm Beef Frittata, Nature's Variety Instinct Duck & Turkey Meal and Now!!
All are grain free. I like to rotate protein sources and protein levels.
I also rotate the canned food that I add.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i read that even though rotating is fine, it's not good to mix two different kibbles in the same meal because the percentages of stuff in them are different. So you may not be giving the proper proportions of nutrients.
I mean absolutely no offense by my response, but this biochemist calls BS on this myth.

If there is a proper ratio of certain nutrients, then all good foods will be near the same, or a few will be far and away better than others. Since both Diamond Naturals and TotW have gotten decent reviews here and elsewhere, then one can assume they are both "okay." Given that both are in the "decent" category, then there must be an acceptable range of ratios between different components. The only thing that would determine the 'fit' of this ratio is biological processes and chemical reactions within the dog's system. If either of the two food's ratios are acceptable (representing two ends of a ratio spectrum), then any ratio falling between these two ratios will also be acceptable.

40# bag DN Protein/Fat/Carbs = 28/17/48
30# bag TotW = 36/30/36
Weighted Ave = 31.4/22.6/42.9

Again, I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I heard the reason that kibble shouldn't be mixed is that each bag of kibble is properly balanced, and when you mix them together, the balance becomes....well unbalanced. ...this could be total hocus pocus...
Hoc Est Corpus confused people too.

It's possible that one food is more balanced than another, and mixing them will lower the degree of balance of the better food, but also raises the degree of balance compared to only feeding the worse of the two. There is no biological way mixing the foods can be detrimental to your dog, if feeding the two individually one day after the other is acceptable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Why wouldn't it be fine to mix kibbles? All (at least all good) kibbles are supposed to give your dog the nutrition it needs.. so mixing two shouldn't matter at all? Mixing a 32%/15% and 28%/20% protein kibble 50/50 would just give the meal 30% protein/17.5% fat, right? I don't see how it would upset anything.
It makes no sense to me either. How can mixing one complete food with another complete food = an uncomplete food.

I have 3 different foods in my dog food container at the moment. I usually only mix 2, but a new food came out that i wanted to try and i couldn't help myself! Nugget goes through dry food so slowly, my impatience got the better of me, and i just couldn't wait!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I rotate with every bag. Never the same food twice. I mix with the last of the current food, moving into the new food. I'm not brand loyal, and look up every food I'm considering for reviews and comments.
Consider a wild wolf. He may get a rabbit, he may get a bird next. Not likely he waits and gets a rabbit every time, nature doesn't work that way.
It makes no sense to me to feed the same over and over (and over). Ideas change, food changes, manufacturers tweak recipes. You do the same old, same old, you could be way behind the curve and maybe missing out on something.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I rotate with each bag, and sometimes alternate between two bags. I rarely mix when transitioning and my boys don't seem to have any digestive issues - and they like all of the different foods.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did that once and my vet advised me not to do it because it can harm the dog's digestion. I heard the opposite too... Maybe it is best to do what works for our dog!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did that once and my vet advised me not to do it because it can harm the dog's digestion. I heard the opposite too... Maybe it is best to do what works for our dog!
Feeding a variety of different foods "toughens" up their digestion. I can feed my dog anything and he handles it well, no tummy problems. This is because he is used to a large variety of different foods.

Of course there are dogs out there who have very sensitive digestive systems where a variety or swapping and changing every day wouldnt work. But for your average, healthy dog, variety is as good for them as it is for us.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts