Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I choose 3 different kinds, how often should I rotate? Every 3 months? My dog is about 65 pounds. I buy 25-35 pounds. Maybe I should switch after 2 bags?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I buy two brands and mix them. Rotation all in one!

I mix Taste of the Wild and Iams Lamb and Rice, though I am soon to be changing out the Iams for Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I would feed a "different" kibble every day. Usually, I'd have 3 bags to rotate through. But from what I've learned, it can depend on how "delicate" your dog's system is.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I buy two brands and mix them. Rotation all in one!

I mix Taste of the Wild and Iams Lamb and Rice, though I am soon to be changing out the Iams for Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice.
You would be MUCH better off getting a couple of the TOTW foods and using them!!:wink:
But yes, PLEASE DITCH THE IAMS!!! :puke:

·
Registered
421 Posts
I rotate every new bag. A 30lb bag does me about 6 weeks with my two. I also give them turkey necks 3 days out of the week when I can find them and canned, so sometimes the bag stretches a little longer.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
I rotate every meal. And, every meal is a different protein. I did this with my dog when she ate kibble and do it now with my cat. But, from what I've read some dogs stomach's can't handle doing this. I guess you need to know what your pup can handle and take it from there.
I'd also get off the Iams asap and maybe rotate with the different proteins of TOTW.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I rotate every bag. I only buy the small bags because my puppy is small and the smaller bags lasts her 5-6 weeks. I like to switch it up that often so she doesn't get tired of any one food. She is only 5 months old but I have rotated her through Simply Nourish, Blue Buffalo Wilderness, and now on Castor and Pollux. She hasn't had any significant digestive upset so far. Her stools were a bit softer going to the BB but I expected that since it had way more protein than the Simply Nourish.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Why do you go around acting like someone stuck a stick up your arse?

What harm does rotating do? None. I'd hate to eat the same thing every day for the rest of my life so I rotate, why wouldn't I do the same thing for my dogs?

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
i read that even though rotating is fine, it's not good to mix two different kibbles in the same meal because the percentages of stuff in them are different. So you may not be giving the proper proportions of nutrients.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was informed by another member that "FeedingTime" has been here under several other names, and has been banned. We should all definitely just ignore any posts by "FeedingTime" so that all threads don't just become arguements. His/her comments are clearly useless and have no knowledge to them what so ever. Let's not waste our time. I'm sure he/she will be banned again soon.

Back to the topic. I heard too that rotating food is fine, but mixing them at the same time disturbs the "balance" that each kibble has. Not sure if that's true or not? Anyway, I do rotate, I have 2 dogs that eat different kibbles all the time, I buy them each their own 30lb bag, and then when they're done, I buy a different kind. I stick with Orijen/Acana and rotate between flavors (only certain ones are appropriate for my 4.5mth old Great Dane, that's why they don't always eat the same food) A 30lb bag lasts about 3wks or so....so after 3wks they get a new flavor :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have read that not only is rotation fine, it is recommended and optimal for your dog.

Thanks for your help. I think I will rotate with each bag.

My dog is not really wild over the Orijen Adult like I thought she would be, so I am going to try Regional Red next.

·
Registered
110 Posts
SanDee, Trooper wasn't too into the Orijen Adult either actually, he likes the 6-Fish, or Acana Grasslands best (I like Ranchlands, but the local shop I buy from doesn't carry it yet?), my Great Dane Gus likes pretty much anything lol.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Why wouldn't it be fine to mix kibbles? All (at least all good) kibbles are supposed to give your dog the nutrition it needs.. so mixing two shouldn't matter at all? Mixing a 32%/15% and 28%/20% protein kibble 50/50 would just give the meal 30% protein/17.5% fat, right? I don't see how it would upset anything.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Again, I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I heard the reason that kibble shouldn't be mixed is that each bag of kibble is properly balanced, and when you mix them together, the balance becomes....well unbalanced. I was able to justify this in my own mind, because when looking for a dog food, we're always told to make sure the calcium/phosphorus ratio is appropriate and such...so mixing 2 different kinds would cause a new calcium/phosphorus ratio???...this could be total hocus pocus...but it's just what I've heard, so I decided to not mix kibbles together, but to each their own of coarse! And if mixing kibbles is working just fine for your dog...I wouldn't say stop? There are too many myths out there, this could be one of them? I dunno.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I don't rotate kibble: Zio's system is too sensitive to change & it took a while to get the "right" kibble for him (EVO Turkey/Chicken).

However, we do rotate additional protein that we add into the kibble: chicken, pork, salmon, lamb.... But no beef as he's allergic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another reason I have heard not to mix kibble is that if your dog develops a food sensitivity, it is harder to determine the ingredient that caused it. Rotation is better because your dogs gets the benefit of more protein sources, but if something goes wrong, it is easier to pinpoint what the problem is.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
i switch my dogs kibble from bag to bag. i use can food as
one of his toppings for his kibble. i have 5 different brands
of can food on hand currently. when one brand is finished
i grab other brand.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts