Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have been feeding my dogs Purina Pro Plan, thinking that it was a "premium" food. However, my recent research has shown me otherwise. I have been looking into alternate foods to switch to, such as Canidae, and have been told that I would have to feed my dogs much less Canidae food than Pro Plan, as it does not contain fillers. However, I am having trouble finding out exactly how much less I would have to feed.
Any help would be much appreciated.
-Dave

·
Banned
70 Posts
Hello,
I have been feeding my dogs Purina Pro Plan, thinking that it was a "premium" food. However, my recent research has shown me otherwise. I have been looking into alternate foods to switch to, such as Canidae, and have been told that I would have to feed my dogs much less Canidae food than Pro Plan, as it does not contain fillers. However, I am having trouble finding out exactly how much less I would have to feed.
-Dave
No one can tell you that for sure but my guess would be about 2/3rds of what you were feeding. What kind of dog do you have, what is its height, is its a male or female, neutered or not, and what is its current weight?

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Well how much do your dogs weigh, how active are they, and how much are you feeding right now?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Well how much do your dogs weigh, how active are they, and how much are you feeding right now?
Exactly. It's not a science, but more looking at all those variables & seeing how well your dogs are doing on the initial amount you are feeding them. Then going up or down from there.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I agree. It will depend and be different for each dog. Usually what I do (if I don't really know a starting point) is start by feeding on the low side of what the bag recommends. Then I either go up or down depending on the body condition of my dog.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree. It will depend and be different for each dog. Usually what I do (if I don't really know a starting point) is start by feeding on the low side of what the bag recommends. Then I either go up or down depending on the body condition of my dog.
I agree re: the low side of the bag's recommendations. I've found that the recs on the bag are on the high side and often geared toward performance/working dogs. I'd start with maybe even going below the recs on the bag in the beginning so you don't overfeed (and end up with a diarrhea). My dog will show weight changes within about a week.

Also, a slow transition is preferred. 1 week, at a minimum...2 weeks if possible.

·
Banned
539 Posts
Hello,
-Dave
It really doesn't matter, JUST GET YOUR DOG OFF pro plan. The product is just terrible. Just don't let him get fat. It really depends on how active he is. I adjust my dogs second feeding depending on how much activity we do that day. He is 107 pounds (13 months GSD) and it could be 2 1/2 cups to 3 1/2 cups. In the AM he always gets 2 large cups.
http://3toestony.shutterfly.com/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts