Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a number that you feel is "too" much?

Reason I ask is that my friends think I'm insane because I've recently been given a really amazing situation and will be basically getting a third dog. Another frenchie named Irma. She is a show prospect, and will be a really great dog for me to get involved with, I've always been interested in showing, and she's also a really great candidate for rally obedience and agility.

They also say I'm gonna have a hell of a time finding an apartment someday, but I feel like I can't be the ONLY one to have a few dogs and need to rent?

Anyways, here's my new girl. I love her. She's very naughty :D

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
There's such a thing as too many? I had no idea :eek: :tongue:

We are waiting for our next Dane puppy to arrive in the next 3-4 weeks. She will be the fifth dog of ours. As soon as we move to more land/space we will most likely add to the pack. I love watching our dogs interact with one another. They all have their places in the pack dynamic and it always makes me smile watching them all do their own thing. They are all so different in their own ways, I love them all for this.

ETA: I forgot the two cats LOL

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly, I wanted to stick with two, but this was too good of an opportunity to pass up. I paid basically nothing for her, will be added as a co-owner to her papers, but will have custody of her. She's a REALLY nice dog imported from Poland, and she's a great first dog for me to get into showing with, something I've always been interested in. She will only go back to my friend for breeding *depending upon her passing her health testing at 1 year old*, she will take care of all the finances involved with that. And god forbid I move, and need Irma to be taken care of for awhile, I'm sure my friend would do it, no questions asked.

Need to come up with a new name for her now....

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No idea haha. I'd like something kinda random, and naughty. Cause she's crazy!

For some reason, the name Beezus/Beezy is sticking out at me.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You must have seen the movie trailer recently :wink:
Haha yes. It just seems to fit her.

Can anyone remember any movie/book characters that were naughty/trouble makers?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
She's a REALLY nice dog imported from Poland
Polish imports are great! That's where I got my husband!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :biggrin: I don't have much constructive input for ya!

ETA: Ooh! Actually I do! I have always liked the name Jezabel if it fit the personality. You could call her Jezzy or Jez for short.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Ate' is the Greek goddess of mischief. I'm not totally sure how you pronounce it, but I think it's like AH tay.

I like Gremlin too. :wink:

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Who is in charge of paying for her care ie; food, vet etc?

L

·
0 Posts
Is there a number that you feel is "too" much?

I always thought I would have just one or two dogs, but I have three. For me, three is plenty.

I'm friends with a lady that lives alone with her pack of 17 dogs. That, to me, is too much. The fact that she lives alone in addition to the fact that her home isn't in the best of condition. It smells awful, it's dirty, and the dogs are dirty and smell bad. She has a HUGE fenced-in yard, but, she did not know that there was a dead raccoon in her yard, not far from the house, until someone pointed it out to her. I think she is overwhelmed. She works all day so most but not all of the dogs are crated in the basement.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I'd say that women is a "collector"!

Meggels, I only ask about the finances because I think you posted in another link that finances are an issue for you, and one of my big issues with people and pets is yes, they will love them with their whole being, but if something drastic were to happen (hit by a car, cancer, any other surgery) they don't have the finances to do it. You had even posted that good food was an issue because of finances, I don't want to be the black sheep but when you work with rescue you always ask yourself these questions of others, so please don't take it personally, I'd ask anyone this who had asked the same questions.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I think 3-4 Dogs is about the cutoff for a "normal" existence. (I have 3)...I say "normal" not in any insulting way...

only that if you have more than that...you really need to do some pretty hardcore logistical planning...feeding, how you are going to live, financial impact, what would the arrangement be if something happened to you-where would the Dogs go, how you are going to control them and keep them safe, VET bills, etc...I just think it takes a little more foreward thinking.

BUT, if someone is willing to put in the effort, I think a person could have about as many as they could handle without getting too crazy(10+)

L

·
0 Posts
Sounds like she is absolutely an animal hoarder :frown:
I think so, too. I didn't mention that she also has about 6 cats (at last count). The ACO is keeping an eye on her and offering support. Every month, the lady goes to Costco and gets 80 pounds of Kirkland kibble. She says it lasts about a month. :eek: She thinks of herself as a rescuer and thinks the pets in her care are happy and healthy.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd say that women is a "collector"!

Meggels, I only ask about the finances because I think you posted in another link that finances are an issue for you, and one of my big issues with people and pets is yes, they will love them with their whole being, but if something drastic were to happen (hit by a car, cancer, any other surgery) they don't have the finances to do it. You had even posted that good food was an issue because of finances, I don't want to be the black sheep but when you work with rescue you always ask yourself these questions of others, so please don't take it personally, I'd ask anyone this who had asked the same questions.
I completely understand. It's something that is on my mind too. Right now, my mom supports my dogs. I'm looking for a job *But i'm sure many know how tough that is right now!* Luckily she believes in good nutrition, so I can feed pretty good food, but by no means, the best of the best, and it is something I need to keep in mind for a month to month budget.

Part of me is a little worried about taking on a third dog. I just really like her and she's such a crazy girl. Part of me feels like I should stay focused on my own two, because they still have a ways to go in training & such. They are both 10 months old, and Irma is only 8 months.

Hmm :-/ I mean, it's not a big deal because I live with Irma right now anyways. So I see her every day. But maybe I will talk to my friend about holding off on making her mine, until I have things lined up a bit more.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts