Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother was in a furor at me today.

She said something along the lines of, "I guess you aren't getting one of those stupid pit bulls now that you have Bonnie." I responded that yeah, when I move out, I still want to rescue one. She seemed beside herself that I would even consider having two dogs (especially dangerous dogs! Everyone knows that the only thing more vicious than a doberman is a, gasp, pit bull!) and that one day I'd probably wind up on that hoarder show.

I felt like this was a total overreaction to the idea of two dogs. But then I thought that surely she isn't the only one who thinks that way. I think two or even three dogs is not bad as long as you have the means to support them.

Is there a number? How many dogs is too many? And does anyone else catch flack for the number of dogs they have or want?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
If that was my mother, I'd have walked away and not spoken to her for a few days. Otherwise I'd have burst out screaming at her for being so beyond closed minded, add in about fifty swear words, and blown my head off of my shoulders in anger.

-.-

I have two dogs, and it's actually EASIER on me, because they keep each other company.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I felt like yelling at her. Although really, I think it's because my mom thinks having a doberman and a pit bull are different from having 'normal dogs'. She did the same thing with my sister- rottweilers are apparently not 'normal dogs'.

Yeah, I understand that. My sister recently rescued a second rottie and says that it makes life easier for her for her pup to have a buddy. A few years to go before Bonnie gets a new pal, though!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Different number for every person.
Me, personally, I think my limit is 5.
I have two now.
Two is easier than one.
Three is harder than two.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Different number for every person.
Me, personally, I think my limit is 5.
I have two now.
Two is easier than one.
Three is harder than two.
Definitely true! Although, I would love to have a limitless number of dogs, for the moment, I'm limiting myself to two, because I don't have the time for three, nor the patience, nor the money (well, I do, but I'd rather save up for relaxing and invigorating vacations or things I'd like to do around the house, such as covering the kennel so I have a place to keep the dogs if I ever really need to while I'm gone for longer periods of time, or putting in a pond out back, or putting in darker carpeting so I don't have to worry about those darned stains! Oh, and then there are emergencies to worry about. haha). Maybe once I'm more settled and on my feet I'll get a third. XD

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
As long as you can provide for them, its not to many. Once you have more than you can provide for, then thats to many.

Reactions: DaneMama

·
Registered
876 Posts
Like the previous post said, it depends on your resources. That includes: money, space, and time.

Don't feel so bad, when I moved everyone in the neighborhood freaked out. I heard gossib of my big white killer pitbull ahahahahahaha Now they pretty much shut up, after they see he's much more behaved than there own dogs. They never shut the hell up. One idiot ties his begal out on a short leash all day. You can imagine how that sounds. Basically most people are brain washed by the media. They will never get that it's the owner not the breed, no matter how much you try and explain:frusty: For those people I don't waste my time. For anyone coming up to me and seems like they have an open mind, I try to educate them.

·
Registered
921 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
I know a lady in the next town who lives alone with her pack of 16 dogs. She doesn't think she has too many.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have three. I had four, but my 16 yr old rottie/chow left us Nov 29th. I also have three cats.

To me, it's a mixture of finances and time and space. If you don't have the time/energy to walk all of your dogs, every day, you probably have too many.

I'm interested in seeing Nat & John's response to this post... :becky:

Reactions: jdatwood

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
We have five dogs right now. Three Great Danes, a mutt and a wolf/husky mix.

I could have plenty of Danes... As long as I could afford them all and give each one enough personal attention, they are so easy. More wolf hybrids??? Um no. Shiloh is our first and our last.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
I too think it depends a lot on the type of dog(s).
I have one dog (herding) and one cat. And, they exhaust me. And, I'm not a slack arse by any means.
The dog needs at least a 3 mile run in the morning, then the cat needs a 20 minute intensive play time before she will stop bugging me. Then in the evening, the dog is another 5 miles on the bike, then the cat wants to go for a walk so thats another hour almost because she is so slow. Then its dinner, etc etc etc.
Along with all the other stuff I need to do with them sometimes I feel likes its a full time job. I honestly have to take my hat off to those who have more than 2.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Penny....you may find that having two dogs is easier than having just one because the mental stimulation of having a companion takes a lot of pressure off of you to be the sole companion to your dog. Just a thought :thumb:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Depends on the person! I had five kids got flack for that~ meaning some folk were like my god when are you going to quit and I took that as well your not raising them or paying for them so why do you care! And for me it was the more the merrier which it isn't for everyone! All depends on what you can handle and whats right for you! So my theory with the dog situation is the same~ having 4 dogs myself, I say, if you can afford it and you want the responsibility of owning whatever number of dogs you can handle, don't let anyone else tell you what to do, but remember be sensible on your decisions!! But you have to be realistic and do what is the best for you at the time! When I first got married got a puppy may not have been the best decision at the time! But it worked out! I started out with one dog! Then when my kids were little got a Dalmatian and that was our only dog! Now have 4 dogs and my kids are ages 17 through 27! So its all timing and what you really want! Good Luck with your decision! Remember its yours and yours alone to make so make it wisely! :whoo::whoo::whoo:

·
Registered
876 Posts
More wolf hybrids??? Um no. Shiloh is our first and our last.
I guess there a handful??? I'm guessing they like to be in charge??? I use to be obsessed with getting a wolf hybrid. My dog is a big game hunting breed, that likes to take charge. I'm guessing not much difference. All I can say is stubborn ahahahaha

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess there a handful??? I'm guessing they like to be in charge??? I use to be obsessed with getting a wolf hybrid. My dog is a big game hunting breed, that likes to take charge. I'm guessing not much difference. All I can say is stubborn ahahahaha
Big difference. One is a wild animal, one isn't. :wink: I think only people with a loooot of experience with dangerous dogs should get a wolfdog. Actually, really, I don't think anyone should own a wolfdog- but that's a goal much too lofty. I will never have another one, they are just off-the-wall crazy with all this energy, and so amazingly headstrong. He was very difficult to control. With him, training was a never-ending job. He kept us on our toes... he was a good dog but as you can imagine his drive was much higher than your run-of-the-mill pet. We only had ours for about a year.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
She's actually quite submissive...she is not top dog in our "pack" the biggest female Dane is alpha for the most part.

It's the innate behaviors Shiloh still has that what make me not want another one. Wolves are wild for a reason....they have a strong sense of roaming which is dangerous in an urban environment unless you cage them (which isnt fair at all...). They form extreme bonds to their humans and have some of the worst cases of separation anxiety.

But on the flipside she's wonderful. She is probably our most outwardly friendly dog, she's loving and doesn't have a strong prey drive. She a snuggle bug and loves attention. She doesn't have an aggressive bone in her body. She has taught our other dogs so much in the ways of communication. We are actually very lucky with her that she has formed such a strong bond with us and the pack that we can trust her off leash in the middle of the woods.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I agree they are wild for a reason, that's why I never followed through. They do end up in shelters sometimes. I'm pretty sure my friend had one and he got it from NYC. I don't know how it ended up there, but it turned out to be an awesome dog. He actually tattooed a picture of it on his calf. They really do develop strong bonds. I could say the same about my dog. He's a one person dog. When my sister had to keep him for a week, he started getting squirrelly. He also has a very very strong prey drive. He wants to roam as much as he likes to eat. Luckily I was able to handle him. It wasn't easy though. My friends thought I was nuts in the beginning. Luckily everything turned out great. I think that's why alot of dogs end up in shetlers. People are so excited to get a new pup, they don't think realistically about it. My sister wanted a Sheppard pup. Thank fully I convinced her to get a lab pup. She can hardly handle him ahahahahahaha I can't stress enough, that people should do tons of research before they commit. My sister went to the pound blindly. Luckily I went with her:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts